i need help with my brand new lightining str

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden Richard

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So i just bought a new starter for it and when i went to go start it. And when it started up it was idling real high and the glow plug kept unloosing. And bubbles were forming around it. Also when i give it throttle it dosent move and my clutch bell starts smoking. Do any of yall know how to fix this

First thing I would do is remove air filter and look in inside. You should see a small gap. That’s your idle gap. Should be about the thickness of a credit card. If it’s bigger that would explain the high idle and possibly smoking clutch bell. I have a Lighting STR too but I’ve been away from RC for a while. There will be a small screw on the carb that’s not the high speed or low speed needle that you can adjust idle speed with. I’ll try to get a pic for you.

Idle gap and idle set screw.
35482BFA-13FC-455D-9786-69BDF55B6217.jpeg

First thing I would do is remove air filter and look in inside. You should see a small gap. That’s your idle gap. Should be about the thickness of a credit card. If it’s bigger that would explain the high idle and possibly smoking clutch bell. I have a Lighting STR too but I’ve been away from RC for a while. There will be a small screw on the carb that’s not the high speed or low speed needle that you can adjust idle speed with. I’ll try to get a pic for you.
Do you know how to fix the it won’t move problem because it starts up but won’t move and the clutch bell doesn’t spin when I give it throttle it just starts smoking and today I got new clutch shoes and put em on but the same problem keeps happening

Does it roll freely? If not then the brake is not adjusted properly or something is binding in the drivetrain.

the clutch bell doesn’t spin when I give it throttle it just starts smoking
Something is absolutely seized in the drive train. The first step, after the clutch, would be the transmission. Disconnect the drive shafts to see if you can turn the trans by hand. The next step would be to disconnect the shaft to a diff, then spin it by hand to see if the wheels turn. If they don't then you have a locked up bearing in there that needs to be replaced. I'm not familiar with that model but if it's 4 wheel drive then you'll also have to check the other diff for a problem. Each of those components should turn easily by hand, otherwise there's a problem in there.
It's just a process of elimination till you find the seized bearing which it would seem to be from your description.
Keep us posted.

You also said it's "Brand New". Is it actually brand new, or just new to you?

Does it roll freely? If not then the brake is not adjusted properly or something is binding in the drivetrain.
[/QUOTE it rolls freely when ever I take brake/throttle linkage off

Last edited:
Something is absolutely seized in the drive train. The first step, after the clutch, would be the transmission. Disconnect the drive shafts to see if you can turn the trans by hand. The next step would be to disconnect the shaft to a diff, then spin it by hand to see if the wheels turn. If they don't then you have a locked up bearing in there that needs to be replaced. I'm not familiar with that model but if it's 4 wheel drive then you'll also have to check the other diff for a problem. Each of those components should turn easily by hand, otherwise there's a problem in there.
It's just a process of elimination till you find the seized bearing which it would seem to be from your description.
Keep us posted.

You also said it's "Brand New". Is it actually brand new, or just new to you?
It’s brand new got it October 20 on my birthday let me see if any thing is seized

First thing I would do is tighten the glow plug more until the bubbles stop coming out. How much throttle are you giving it when it starts to smoke? 1/8, 1/4, 3/4, full?

Edit: ?I didn't hear you mention how hard it was to change the springs on the clutch shoes, especially being a newby. There was a spring on the shoes right?

Last edited:
Either one special spring per shoe on some models, a round fully wrapped coil on others. They differ but are necessary.
Also, was this out of the box or was it a kit you assembled?

I FIXED IT GUYS apparently had nothing to do with all that stuff. It was just that I had put the wrong screw in the back to hold the tray on and when the dog bone would rotate the screw would block it from fully rotating so I fixed that and apparently I had my linkage upside down and thank y’all for helping

Always a good feeling when we fix something that's been driving you nuts for quite awhile.

Back