Are these servo noises normal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your transmitter has end point adjustments ,then you can adjust how far the servo will move ,what that is ,is
the servo is being strained because it is moving too far while being restricted ,the end point setting will allow
you to fine tune on how far the servo throw is!

Thanks so much @cbaker65
I’ve removed the horns and tried again ... there’s certainly much less noise but it’s still not sounding great ... have a watch of this vid and see what you think ... is this more normal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/
Thanks so much @cbaker65
I’ve removed the horns and tried again ... there’s certainly much less noise but it’s still not sounding great ... have a watch of this vid and see what you think ... is this more normal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qiKmJCFunQhUd9o7NmmJKPcS3Fpbs4K8/view?usp=drivesdk

Sorry ,let me get back ,My PC just fekin erased a whole paragraph that I just written ,I am pulling my hair out right now!

Thanks so much @cbaker65
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qiKmJCFunQhUd9o7NmmJKPcS3Fpbs4K8/view?usp=drivesdk

I had never owned a Savox brand servo ,however ,all servo's will make a certain amount of noise ,my theory is ,
an all metal gear servo will make more noises than a conventional carbonite or plastic geared servo!

Most RC's also have a buffer spring to allow some play to help with the strain of the servo ,when the servo
wants to keep moving from left to right ,they added features to the transmitters to adjust how far the servo
will go like a stopping point ,Example: If your wheels stop turning either way ,the servo will try to turn it more
but can't ,thus ,putting a strain on the servo ,causing it to chatter an make noises!

So ,it is normal for a servo to make some kind of noise ,some louder than others!....:cool:

Wow... those sound just awful! With the horns on, they sounded pretty normal, but then with the horns off and minimal movement, they sounded really rough. Post a vid with the horns off and going full lock to lock on the remote.

Digital servo's whine quite a bit in normal use. Savox servos aren't known for being quiet.

Also, it doesn't appear that the throttle servo is tightened down. They shouldn't move under the screws like that and make sure to adjust your EPA's, digital servos do not like being forced to mechanically stop like that. It cooks the circuit board inside (the mosfets).

More going on with Throttle servo than endpoints. Id pull that servo and check the internal gears.sounds bad.. also .Id add the rubber grommets to that servo and tighten the next install down.it should not move so freely.steering servo kinda sounds normal for a that brand..

Also ,sometimes those gears dry of lube ,you might can put a little light grease on the gears may help
them run smoother ,as this stuff is mass produced ,the manufacture didn't put enough in there!

I had gotten diffs like that ,when I had opened them up ,they where dry of any lube!...:cool:

Hi everyone,

Thanks to you all for the comments, thoughts and feedback.
@cbaker65 , @olds97_lss & @tntpoof
I ended up sending the videos I made over to Savox themselves ... this was their response ...

Hello Rich,

Your concern is understandable, and we are happy to reassure you that this is perfectly normal of our servos, as they are typically somewhat noisy. What you are hearing is the servo constantly searching for the point that you are commanding it to be from your radio. The sound is increased with the horns installed because the horns are always pushing the servo slightly off the center point, which is making it work harder to find the input point.

You have nothing to worry about!

Thank you,

SavoxUSA
2034 South 3850 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
www.savoxusa.com

Can you believe it … this is NORMAL? They sound horrible but here it is from the manufacturer.

I just need to make a few final adjustments but I'm basically ready to fire the thing up and give it a bash!

Rich

One thing I didn't think to ask, do your servos have a gap between the bottom of the case and the chassis? They shouldn't be touching the chassis, even a gap a piece of paper can fit in is enough. I know with the stock servo mount on my outcast, I had to raise my savox 1210sg about 3-4mm so it had a gap under it.