Newb, questions, go easy on me please.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derdy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm returning to the hobby, after having been gone for a very long time. I have a few questions I hope somebody can address, and you may consider them stupid but try to bear with me. Last car had was an RC10 when I was 13.

So I get sucked into a YouTube rabbit hole where you visit the site and a bunch of random video suggestions come up. I wasn't even thinking about RC and don't usually now that I'm an adult and have a lot less time to do anything fun. But this English dude (Kevin Talbott?) was "sending" a cheap Chinese RC into the lower stratosphere I could see in the preview thumb, and I ALWAYS liked RC cars, so I clicked on it. I thought wow RCs have really come a long way if they can endure this type of abusive operation.

The video compelled me to buy a Feiyue fy03, the price is so low compared to what I remember decent RC being that I couldn't resist. You guys may hate these cheapos and I understand but bear with me as I have a couple of questions.

For one, there is a tiny and I mean tiny momentary button right next to the car's power switch. So small one might miss it entirely. What is this button for? No mention in the OM. Pressing it doesn't do anything, but holding it for about five seconds does something just not sure what it is there to do. Manual is no help whatsoever. I think it has something to do with ESC/Rx calibration but not sure.

Next, I've gotten a cheapo Racerstar 3600Kv brushless+35A ESC for the car. The ESC supposedly runs hot, but no pinouts to connect a fan. Anybody know of a method?

I'm kitting this cheapo car with cheapo upgrades, having fun on my way to getting a UDR which may be another one you hate (it being Traxxas), but dang is it compelling. Much bigger hit to the wallet, going to have to hide this one from my significant other. She has zero tolerance for this type of thing. I just never got it out of my system I guess. Already in the doghouse for getting this cheepie.

Thanks for reading and any help anyone could provide.

Just run a splitter off your receiver or use an open port on the receiver for a fan.

These work nice:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/futaba-type-compact-y-lead-15cm-5pcs.html

I bought some heavier duty ones off a site and for the life of me can't find the link. Were the same thing, but the wire seemed of a heavier gauge. Either way, you should be fine with that for a fan.

Or some like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Futaba-Harness-Splitter-Airplane/dp/B07PHDYZXN

Odds are, the momentary button is for going into programming mode on the esc. Hobbywing esc's have that as well. If you hold it down while powering on, it takes you into a beep/blink menu. Without knowing the brand/model of the esc, can't help a lot there. Sorry, didn't see you mentioned the brand.

Looks like this:
https://m.racerstar.com/racerstar-3...-or-14-1-or-16-1-or-18-rc-car-part-p-177.html

The page says to click here for a link on the program card, but no link...
Assuming this:
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...=detail-top-buytogether-auto&cur_warehouse=CN

Or perhaps this:
https://www.racerstar.com/racerstar...5-or-35-or-45-or-60a-esc-motorsett-p-310.html

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm returning to the hobby, after having been gone for a very long time. I have a few questions I hope somebody can address, and you may consider them stupid but try to bear with me. Last car had was an RC10 when I was 13.

So I get sucked into a YouTube rabbit hole where you visit the site and a bunch of random video suggestions come up. I wasn't even thinking about RC and don't usually now that I'm an adult and have a lot less time to do anything fun. But this English dude (Kevin Talbott?) was "sending" a cheap Chinese RC into the lower stratosphere I could see in the preview thumb, and I ALWAYS liked RC cars, so I clicked on it. I thought wow RCs have really come a long way if they can endure this type of abusive operation.

The video compelled me to buy a Feiyue fy03, the price is so low compared to what I remember decent RC being that I couldn't resist. You guys may hate these cheapos and I understand but bear with me as I have a couple of questions.

For one, there is a tiny and I mean tiny momentary button right next to the car's power switch. So small one might miss it entirely. What is this button for? No mention in the OM. Pressing it doesn't do anything, but holding it for about five seconds does something just not sure what it is there to do. Manual is no help whatsoever. I think it has something to do with ESC/Rx calibration but not sure.

Next, I've gotten a cheapo Racerstar 3600Kv brushless+35A ESC for the car. The ESC supposedly runs hot, but no pinouts to connect a fan. Anybody know of a method?

I'm kitting this cheapo car with cheapo upgrades, having fun on my way to getting a UDR which may be another one you hate (it being Traxxas), but dang is it compelling. Much bigger hit to the wallet, going to have to hide this one from my significant other. She has zero tolerance for this type of thing. I just never got it out of my system I guess. Already in the doghouse for getting this cheepie.

Thanks for reading and any help anyone could provide.

Hi ,welcome to the RCT forum!

The button could be for a binding button for the transmitter to the receiver ,providing that it has a 2.4 radio
gear set up already!
Pics will go a long way if you can post pics in a new thread about your new build in a proper place!...Enjoy!....:cool:

I think you both have provided me with some great information. I'll post pics of the switch later on, but thanks again. Olds, I haven't installed the Racerstar motor yet, it still has the stocker "outrunner" brushless it came with (2200kv I think, 380 size). So I think the brand would be Feiyue from everything I know. As far as upgrades so far I have the Racerstar (to be installed), some aluminum chassis pieces, and I found some 1/10th alum oil shocks (again, cheapos from the bay) that are actually quite decent and work better than the stock friction units. All this stuff has just been dirt cheap. Which is fun in and of itself. Hopefully it doesn't explode with the new motor. I'm sure I'll be replacing driveshafts & gears & control arms & such, but luckily they are all over the bay and super cheap.

looking at a few pictures online it looks very similar to the 12428 might even be a different companies rebadge of the same truck, those things look fun. i am curious on the stock motor mounts, is it semi standard type with the 2 screws? for some reason i though i saw someone saying it was some weird molded in mount. i really like how it models after real off road trucks. it looks like its a combo esc/RX with proprietary plugs, going brushless, you might have to swap to a more standardized hobby grade servo and rx/tx to power it. was this the plan?
or is there a way around that you have figured out?
definitely would be curious to read your build thread on this when you get there, and see some pics!

looking at a few pictures online it looks very similar to the 12428 might even be a different companies rebadge of the same truck, those things look fun. i am curious on the stock motor mounts, is it semi standard type with the 2 screws? for some reason i though i saw someone saying it was some weird molded in mount. i really like how it models after real off road trucks. it looks like its a combo esc/RX with proprietary plugs, going brushless, you might have to swap to a more standardized hobby grade servo and rx/tx to power it. was this the plan?
or is there a way around that you have figured out?
definitely would be curious to read your build thread on this when you get there, and see some pics!

IT does look kind of odd:
http://www.feiyuemodel.com/home/292...block-w12009-070-011-feiyue-rc-car-parts.html

Your right though, it does appear to be an esc/receiver combo like the losi micro's used to have. So if you upgrade to a brushless, your going to need to get a new servo and radio/receiver for it:
http://www.feiyuemodel.com/home/252...w-version-receiver-circuit-board-fy-rx01.html

I got the H model which came with a small brushless motor, ESC & Rx are separate. Pic of the switch with the tiny button attached.
26F5E8CD-1AD3-4338-9B0F-487B0D5F8A1F.jpeg
E983A2D5-DBDE-4409-B5D1-9B123423CB32.jpeg
6883C060-6818-4AB8-8DE2-E1FAFF6F0B1E.jpeg
CDC5D1F5-1D48-4B2A-8331-C1FB878D2898.jpeg

I had to carefully Dremel the shock mounts on the trailing arms out a little with a ball end rasp to get the 1/10 oil dampers to fit, but they are so much better than the stockers. The car is too fast out of the box for the 1/12th track width, rolls way too easy. The upgraded rear dampers help. Now to find some 70mm for the front.

I’m planning on upgrading the Rx with something that will accept a gyro so I can control this little car a bit better. I have the full metal parts upgrade on order but will probably only use the shock bulkheads and tie rods, or maybe just everything but the front control arms. I think I’d prefer plastic for those.

I had to carefully Dremel the shock mounts on the trailing arms out a little with a ball end rasp to get the 1/10 oil dampers to fit, but they are so much better than the stockers. The car is too fast out of the box for the 1/12th track width, rolls way too easy. The upgraded rear dampers help. Now to find some 70mm for the front.

I’m planning on upgrading the Rx with something that will accept a gyro so I can control this little car a bit better. I have the full metal parts upgrade on order but will probably only use the shock bulkheads and tie rods, or maybe just everything but the front control arms. I think I’d prefer plastic for those.
nice! truck looks good man! those shocks look really awesome on there.
i highly recommend not running aluminum arms, it diverts impact to other more expensive/harder to work on pieces.

Hey thanks D3MON, it’s a cheap RC but we’ll see how it can be improved further. Right now I’m just collecting parts for it, and I’ll blitzkrieg it with those when they’re all accounted for. I’ve been on an ordering binge, and since I’m limiting myself to cheap Chinese upgrades for this, they’re coming on the slow boat so it’ll take some time. Holidays are just around the corner, and I’ll probably get into something a little higher end at that point.

That little button is for calibrating the transmitter with the esc and also programming the esc, my guess would be the programming would be the same as a hobby wing, seems like a lot of those Chinese cars use an off breed of a hobbywing esc. Look up how to calibrate a hobbywing and try it on yours, normally holding the button for so long will set it back to factory default.

Thanks everyone, adam22es I had a hunch it was something like that.

Spent too much time Saturday taking the car apart, as I attempted to install the Racerstar motor & esc. Come to find out I need some M3 cap head screws for the motor mounting, as the stock motor uses M2.5. Also I’m going to have to drill the holes out for M3. Put it back together, went outside, and played with my toy. My girlfriend is like- “I don’t want you to live here anymore” because I’m 47 years old out in the alley playing with my rc in my pajamas.

Needs more battery

Spent too much time Saturday taking the car apart, as I attempted to install the Racerstar motor & esc. Come to find out I need some M3 cap head screws for the motor mounting, as the stock motor uses M2.5. Also I’m going to have to drill the holes out for M3. Put it back together, went outside, and played with my toy. My girlfriend is like- “I don’t want you to live here anymore” because I’m 47 years old out in the alley playing with my rc in my pajamas.

Needs more battery
lol that is definitely an image i aspire to :p ?

Needs more battery

That is a good thing ,the more that you break it down ,the more you learn about it!....:thumbs-up:

Needs more battery
Ah yes... the test run in sub-freezing temps at 1am in the parking lot while wearing a light jacket, shorts and house slippers... been there many times.