shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters2107

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys

I'm just curious on what oil everyone uses for there shocks on there rigs.

oil is oil or is it best to use a specific brand of oil ?

cheers :)

hey guys

It is actually a silicone base fluid ,an there is different weights ,as far as the weight you need ,someone else
would have to tell you that!...:thumbs-up:

hey guys

Just upgraded my Traxxas Stampede VXL 4x4 for first time from stock to Slash GTR shocks and put 50wt in front and 35 in rear. Happy this far. Just baked the concrete with it and for the first time I could see the suspension working. The truck rolled as the tires dug in. When I would drive that fast before and turn as much as I just was, I'd get an action movie rollover scene. I believe most people prefer slightly heavier in front (depending on vehicle) and I used Team Associated. If you're looking to experiment, Losi has two sets of 6 packs from 10-40ish and 50-90ish for a fair price. The oil is important, so stick with a brand of silicone oil you've heard of. Also, it is a pain, but YOU REALLY WANT to get the air out of the oil. They sell vacuum systems to speed it up but you don't NEED those. It requires patience though and when you believe you have gotten all the air out, you have gotten maybe 75% out. Watch a video on getting air from silicone shock oil and follow those recommendations. I had to top mine off a few times after I thought I was done because there's air that remains trapped beneath the plunger part. That's why they put holes in them.

Don't use canola or vegetable. Go with silicone

I try my best to stick with the same brand as 30wt on one brand isn't the same as 30wt on another, so at least sticking with one brand gives you adjustments you can kind of count on. I run mostly associated oils as they have most weights I need from 20wt to 500k wt for diffs.