Best duo lipo charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReMiXeDg

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi there good morning.

I am in the market looking for a duo lipo charger for my erevo application.

I would like not to use a power converter but dont mind.
I'm use to traxxas ez peak plus but would rather something better.

I want charge 2x 3s battery if that'll help and my budget is no more than $150thank you. .

I had two defective EV-peak D610AC chargers in a row so stay far away form those... but the place I got it from was awesome and replaced the second one with an Ultrapower up120ac, a more expensive model than I originally purchased, and I've had no issues and been super happy with it. Might be "more charger" than you need honestly but I would def recommend it after using it for some time now. I'm sure Ultrapower has some less expensive models that will duo charge f you shop around. Just keep in mind if you're using traxxas ID batteries you'll have to find an adapter for pretty much any non-traxxas brand charger that also has the separate balance board leads on it.

https://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/ultra-...-nimh-pb-acdc-balancing-battery-multicharger/

I use a Skyrc D400. No idea what it retails for over there though and no idea now what I bought mine for

@RC Wrecker I would say the D400 is one of the better options available and for the price it's hard to beat.

I'm running the ISDT Q6 plus with a 24v power supply and love it.

Well, anything that will do 10A/100W per channel will work with packs that fit in the erevo. Unless you want to charge at 2C, then running something like the SMC 3S 7200's would need 200w/15A.

The D400 is a good charger for the money. However, it could be a bit finicky. I have a HTRC 150W/12A dual charger and I can't really use the buttons on one side because the + button doesn't work. Luckily, it auto-senses the S# and I have it at 12A, so I'm able to use it still. The D400 looks to be a similar build. Perhaps it's better quality than the HTRC one I have. It's a bit more than your price point, but it's a good deal for the output numbers it has.

$190: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/skyrc-u...-charger-discharger-power-supply-us-plug.html

I’m enjoying the EZ-Peak Live Dual 200w. The app is awesome.

THe D400 will spread the 400W over the two channels. You can choose how much goes to each channel. I have left my stock at 200w on both channels but you can have 300w on channel 1 and 100w on the second. You can hook it to an external PSU however I have no idea what that lifts the performance to.

It is a simple unit to use and very intuitive. How it compares with other units I have no idea as I have only every had SkyRC chargers. I do wish that there WiFi adapter could be used on it though as it is quite handy for monitoring the charging when I'm not in my shed to keep an eye on it.

I had two defective EV-peak D610AC chargers in a row so stay far away form those... but the place I got it from was awesome and replaced the second one with an Ultrapower up120ac, a more expensive model than I originally purchased, and I've had no issues and been super happy with it. Might be "more charger" than you need honestly but I would def recommend it after using it for some time now. I'm sure Ultrapower has some less expensive models that will duo charge f you shop around. Just keep in mind if you're using traxxas ID batteries you'll have to find an adapter for pretty much any non-traxxas brand charger that also has the separate balance board leads on it.

https://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/ultra-...-nimh-pb-acdc-balancing-battery-multicharger/
Ultra Power is a good brand. Just like Sky RC. They both make chargers for other companies. The Ultra Power UP120AC Duo has served me well...for almost two years ?. Then the power supply inside the thing gave up.

From 8/2018:
Last night I was smelling something burning up. I thought possible it was almost the sweetness smell of LiPo pack "letting go", or neighbor burning something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Had me a bit worried, so I put my packs in Crock Pot, and left them outside for the night. Got home from work today; went to start charging packs, and my UP120AC Duo would not turn on. It 's dead. I smelled the exhaust ports and, sure enough, the AC power supply must have given up. The charger still fires up if I use DC power supply though.

Thankfully, I had tried my hand at converting a server power supply, 'cause that power supply sends juice to the UP120AC Duo and a Hitec X2 AC Plus (DC 100w/channel) .

Last thought on what specs are important to a person looking for a new charger: Internal Resistance measuring. I won't buy another charger unless it can show me the IR of a pack. Though the chargers that show the IR of a battery's cells may not be highly accurate, they will give you a better insight on a packs health. On a three cell pack, if you have two cells reading 6mΩ, and the third cell reads 23mΩ...you know something is wrong with that third cell.

Last thought on what specs are important to a person looking for a new charger: Internal Resistance measuring. I won't buy another charger unless it can show me the IR of a pack. Though the chargers that show the IR of a battery's cells may not be highly accurate, they will give you a better insight on a packs health. On a three cell pack, if you have two cells reading 6mΩ, and the third cell reads 23mΩ...you know something is wrong with that third cell.
If you do care and want to monitor by cell, make sure the charger can do that. My Hitec D7 only gives me the total for the entire pack.