Illinois Places I bash at near Dekalb Illinois

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Skatepark in Bristol Bay: https://goo.gl/maps/p9wWH3EzagH2

Abandoned development area in Cortland: https://goo.gl/maps/1KeM6aoD6yM2

Skatepark in my town, Dekalb: https://goo.gl/maps/4YtggPrLNMK2

Vacant lot in Dekalb with a dirt ledge I run at on occasion: https://goo.gl/maps/h1Kr4PMZkpM2

Skatepark in Davis Junction, not that great: https://goo.gl/maps/4Y8fFsNfht42

Skatepark in Rochelle: https://goo.gl/maps/z1QihNT2de92

Skatepark in Sandwich: https://goo.gl/maps/iFn91DrYUnK2

BMX track in Elgin: https://goo.gl/maps/fnh5Ueq59f62

Park I run at in Sycamore: https://goo.gl/maps/2vqhYTirfrn

03/20/2019 - Update, new place! A grass BMX track, not sure how much it gets used, but there is hardly any worn grass anywhere on it. I sent the park district an email to see when it was built and it was finished in 2008... there is literally no ruts or wear to make it appear anyone rides there. Not sure if I'll risk running nitro there as there are houses a couple hundred yards away, but I'll be going back with my outcast, hopefully this weekend!

Yorkville Park and Recreation Area-Bristol Station Park

I'm always on the hunt for new places to run.

Edit 2019/04/11:
Adding a map from another post I made for the places I run at

2019-0325-5Location-BashCircuit.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That looks like a blast!!! I work with a guy from IL. I'm on vacation right now but when I go back to work I will ask him what part.

Wow. That looks like a blast!!! I work with a guy from IL. I'm on vacation right now but when I go back to work I will ask him what part.
On a good bash day, I'll drive an 90 mile triangle to hit 3-4 places in a day. Run a pack through 2 trucks at each place, maybe a bit more. Since I have a charger in my car, I can recharge as I go from one park to another.

Usually I'd go to Sandwich first, then Rochelle, then end up back at home in Dekalb to run there. By the time I've been in my car and on my feet that long, I'm usually pretty wiped and just call it a day. Unless I break both trucks. I usually take 2 with me, a 1/10 and a 1/8. Then I spend 4 hours that night editing video footage. lol!

On a good bash day, I'll drive an 90 mile triangle to hit 3-4 places in a day. Run a pack through 2 trucks at each place, maybe a bit more. Since I have a charger in my car, I can recharge as I go from one park to another.

Usually I'd go to Sandwich first, then Rochelle, then end up back at home in Dekalb to run there. By the time I've been in my car and on my feet that long, I'm usually pretty wiped and just call it a day. Unless I break both trucks. I usually take 2 with me, a 1/10 and a 1/8. Then I spend 4 hours that night editing video footage. lol!

So cool..
Man it would be nice to bash like that with a group of friends again. Haven't done much of that ever since Beason got out.
What video software do you use editing?
Are you filming with a gopro?

So cool..
Man it would be nice to bash like that with a group of friends again. Haven't done much of that ever since Beason got out.
What video software do you use editing?
Are you filming with a gopro?
Well, when I make a day of it and drive around, I'm alone as well. I had a buddy that bashed locally last year, but he moved about 45 miles away and was kind of losing interest in RC. I did run into a couple guys in October or November that just started in the hobby that I'll likely bump into again next season.

I picked up a gopro hero 5 black and used a hero 5 session for some onboard. Found that the session was too heavy and was breaking my bodies, so I quit running with it. I bought software to be able to do PIP with the onboard, Cyberlink PowerDirector 16. My first camera was my phone, galaxy s5, but it would overheat and shut down. Then I tried an akaso EK7000 which did 1080p @60fps, which wasn't bad, but eventually, it got out of focus and every time you would bump it, it would go in/out and you wouldn't know until you downloaded the card to find out your entire day was lost. I bought a second and it destroyed all the files... I gave up and got the hero. I use it recording 1080@120fps to get decent slowmo. The session only goes up to 60fps at 1080p, so that's what I set it to when I use it.

However, 1080p@120fps is hard to edit without software that converts the original source down to a lower res/frame rate for editing, then uses the edits you make and original source for the output. Tried using Windows Movie Maker like I did with my phone/akaso footage, but it couldn't handle editing the 1080@120fps without a lot of lag and crashing. Then I encode my edits down to a 15Mbps@30fps mp4 and upload to youtube. I record entire runs/packs. I start when I drop the truck on the ground and stop when LVC kicks in. I haven't recorded much with nitro... so, not sure how the timing will work out on that. The last recording with nitro I had, I recorded until I got bored or ran out of 500cc bottle and had to go back to the car.

I wrote a shell script to rename all the files when I download them as gopro names them stupid which makes them hard to import in the proper order. The camera terminates a file when it reaches 4GB then starts a new one with a "child" name... The gopro also records them at 2 quality levels. I think the one level is so you can transfer/edit on your phone or something... I don't know, but I just move those to an alternate folder when I download the micro sd. I've filled a 64G card a couple times. Usually I end up with 45-50GB of data to download. A few GB is the lowres, the rest is footage I import, then wait a few hours for PD16 to encode down before I start editing. My 4-9 minute edited videos end up around 100MB per minute that I upload to youtube and it does whatever it does. I delete the originals and lowres after I'm done... don't have storage to keep all that original footage. I had 36 bash sessions recorded in 2018. 36 at an average of 35G would be 1.26TB of data. I still keep the originals that I create/upload, of which I have 40GB from 2018.

Sorry... went off the rails a bit.

Last edited:
Well, when I make a day of it and drive around, I'm alone as well. I had a buddy that bashed locally last year, but he moved about 45 miles away and was kind of losing interest in RC. I did run into a couple guys in October or November that just started in the hobby that I'll likely bump into again next season.

I picked up a gopro hero 5 black and used a hero 5 session for some onboard. Found that the session was too heavy and was breaking my bodies, so I quit running with it. I bought software to be able to do PIP with the onboard, Cyberlink PowerDirector 16. My first camera was my phone, galaxy s5, but it would overheat and shut down. Then I tried an akaso EK7000 which did 1080p @60fps, which wasn't bad, but eventually, it got out of focus and every time you would bump it, it would go in/out and you wouldn't know until you downloaded the card to find out your entire day was lost. I bought a second and it destroyed all the files... I gave up and got the hero. I use it recording 1080@120fps to get decent slowmo. The session only goes up to 60fps at 1080p, so that's what I set it to when I use it.

However, 1080p@120fps is hard to edit without software that converts the original source down to a lower res/frame rate for editing, then uses the edits you make and original source for the output. Tried using Windows Movie Maker like I did with my phone/akaso footage, but it couldn't handle editing the 1080@120fps without a lot of lag and crashing. Then I encode my edits down to a 15Mbps@30fps mp4 and upload to youtube. I record entire runs/packs. I start when I drop the truck on the ground and stop when LVC kicks in. I haven't recorded much with nitro... so, not sure how the timing will work out on that. The last recording with nitro I had, I recorded until I got bored or ran out of 500cc bottle and had to go back to the car.

I wrote a shell script to rename all the files when I download them as gopro names them stupid which makes them hard to import in the proper order. The camera terminates a file when it reaches 4GB then starts a new one with a "child" name... The gopro also records them at 2 quality levels. I think the one level is so you can transfer/edit on your phone or something... I don't know, but I just move those to an alternate folder when I download the micro sd. I've filled a 64G card a couple times. Usually I end up with 45-50GB of data to download. A few GB is the lowres, the rest is footage I import, then wait a few hours for PD16 to encode down before I start editing. My 4-9 minute edited videos end up around 100MB per minute that I upload to youtube and it does whatever it does. I delete the originals and lowres after I'm done... don't have storage to keep all that original footage. I had 36 bash sessions recorded in 2018. 36 at an average of 35G would be 1.26TB of data. I still keep the originals that I create/upload, of which I have 40GB from 2018.

Sorry... went off the rails a bit.

I have a gopro5 black. I've been wanting to get it set up on a nitro, paticularly the savage, and see what cool stuff I can come up with. I have a metal case for it that I picked up for cheap. I may case it in that and figure out how to mount it on the truck.
I'm sure I can fabricate something for it to attach to and connect to frame.
I'm getting it close to run...the dust is knocked off and have replaced all broken parts. It has been on the shelf too long.
If my fuel that I have will burn I should be able to try it this week. It will all depend on rain.
Thanks for the details explaining your editing platform. That is something I want to get good at.

I'm not great at editing, but I typically edit them how I would want to see them. Mostly the jumps with a bit of futzing around. I don't talk or anything... except for the occasional "oh crap!"!

Olds97_lss wish I lived closer to you so we could bash together, south suburbs of Chicago a bit away.

PM me where you are specifically, I'm not opposed to driving if you have somewhere decent to run. Be forewarned.... I'm not the guy that shows up with stuff to fix. I show up ready to go and break stuff! lol!

I found a new place a while back and visited it last weekend, I added it to the first post with a video so you can see. It's a grass bmx track.

Yorkville Park and Recreation Area-Bristol Station Park

I'm the same way, get to the bash spot bash, brake, then fix after I get home.

Back