Any way to crawl at slow speeds

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnathan_rc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All! I just got an X-Maxx to use for some non-standard use. I want to be able to drive at very slow speeds. Out of the box, the minimum speed is too fast. I'm running the vehicle in 4S, training mode and have ordered an 11-tooth pinion gear.

Is there anything else I can do, to make the rc perform better at slow speeds?

Does anyone know whether a Losi XL-E would drive better at slow speeds, given both of these rc's are meant for speed? Eventually I will drive fast, but for now I'm looking for slow speeds.

@johnathan_rc dropping down to a 3s LiPo would also help slow things a bit.

What are you trying to achieve running at slow speeds?

The X-Maxx runs a sensorless brushless power setup, you'll never get decent slow speed crawling type performance from a sensorless setup without cogging. Go fast rigs are meant to do go fast well, crawlers and scalers are meant to do slow stuff well. You can have both if you build a scaler right, but you'll have build it from a kit (or used RTR like I did) and pick your components carefully yourself.

Thanks guys!
@WoodiE I'm trying to do some autonomous driving and need to start out really slow..
@HPIguy Is there any sensored motor that can go in the X-Maxx?

I haven't done any research on the X-Maxx platform personally. But I'm fairly confident there are options out there for that. But honestly, given the motor and ESC (if you want things like drag brake for crawling, you'll need a new ESC as well) size and cost on the X-Maxx, and the fact that it was never designed to be operated in this manner, my personal opinion is that you're better off either selling the X-Maxx and buying a scaler either used or new, or just living with it as is.

Back