Another Cheap Project - Warhead - FINALLY DONE!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, over a month since I last updated this thing!

First up a poll, What best describes your thoughts regarding this thread?

1. It's about time you updated it, I thought you forgot about this thread.
2. I forgot about this thread, you mean you're still working on it?
3. This thread's so old I've never seen it before.
4. Forget the poll, just finish the truck and show the pics!

Well, I couldn't actually add a poll so I'm going to assume that #4 is the winning answer! So let's say we finish this build?

Alright,last time I found the broken arm but didin't get it ordered for a while. I went on to assemble the bulk assembly up until I got to the missing control arm. Then I sarted to work on the main chassis assembly. I decided not to pull eveything off of it, just enough to clean off the rust and clean up the rest. But yet again I was met with another broken part. Turns out the engine mount was cracked. There were no signs of an impact on the mount or on the engine so I attribute the break to poor quality Chinese pot metal.

brokenmount.JPG

So now I need an arm and a mount. I was able to pick them up and a few other items from our own Motogod since he sold off his Warheads.

Mean while it's time to upgrade the slipper assembly. Here's a layout of the difference. The new version is a bit over engineered in my opinion. The good parts are that the plates have cooling fins formed on the backsides of them and they used a small roller thrust bearing under the tension spring.

slipperlayout.JPG

One problem I found though, the back slipper plate has a ridge around the outer diameter to help retain the pad, but the pad is slightly bigger in diameter and pinched when assembled. It wouldn't do much slipping that way!

padmismatch.JPG

So I trimmed the pad and reassembled the the slipper. Now it's good to go.

center.JPG

Time to start some serious reassembly! First it's the mount then the engine, being carefull to set the spur mesh properly. The engine looks GOOD in there. :)

cleancenter.JPG

Then its on with the front and rear bulk/diff assemblies. Then the header and pipe followed by the fuel tank. I decided to add some color coordinated fuel lines since they were off anyway. So I cut and snaked them around and secured them to thier proper locations.
Time for an electronics test to make sure the servo linkages are set and adjusted properly.

mainassembly.JPG

With that done, Oh man it's getting close and looking good, IMO :D Now it's on with the two center skids. Mount the tires and wheels, wash and mount the body and WoooHooo!, The Warhead is DONE!

done1.JPG

Well ok, no it's not done yet. Since I couldn't talk anyone into buying the 17mm hubs and the HPI Nubz I had for sale, I figure they need to be used. So let's put them on the this truck!
I quickly find a problem with this idea. The hubs are flat back and when tightening the retaining nut they lock up against the axle carriers. The pin holes line up ok so, a quick fix is in order. I simply put them in the lathe and skim cut the back leaving a small diameter to seat against the center on the carrier bearings. Problem one solved!

hubmod.JPG

hubs.JPG

Now for the wheels. Well, if you can't tell from my builds,I like things to look as near new as possible or at least darn good. The wheels, as noted when listed, are scuffed up so something has to be done to make them look better. Another easy fix for me. Back to the lathe. I took a round piece of hard plastic and turned a diameter to match the size of the hole in the wheels. The I drilled/tapped a hole in the center for a retaining screw. This allowed me to mount the wheel to the spud(toolmakers technical name:hehe:) for turning.

spud.JPG

The face of the wheel is not flat, so I had to indicate the cross-slide on the lathe to travel parallel with the face. Now I'm able to take a skim cut on the face of the wheel to clean up the scuffs. As is normal with molded plastic, the face was not completely uniform so I had to take a few light cuts until it cleaned up. Here's what it looked like after one cut.

wheel1.JPG

Now with that done, the wheels look much better. So back home and on the truck they go. Yep, I'm happy with that. Now I'm calling it DONE! :celebrate3:

complete1.JPG

complete2.JPG

complete3.JPG

complete4.JPG

complete5.JPG

Sorry it took so long to get completed. Hopefully with all the pics this time I made it up to all of you. As soon as I get some good weather and time, I'll do a break-in and see how she drives. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts after driving it.

Anyone want to see me do another build? Well I've got one still to do. But first I have an update for the Cheap-O-Maxx and then the next thing I'm going to do I'm calling "The Savage Experiment : A Fish Out Of Water" .

As always, Happy Nitro Burnin!

Damn Randy, that is SWEET! Your right, that engine looks hot in there. Beautiful work on the wheel too! Very very very nice. :thumbup::thumbup:

Holy Crap Randy! That is simply amazing work. That looks better then new. Really nice job.

And for your Poll, you forgot option number 5;
Can't wait to see the Aftershock build!

I'll take those Nubz back! LOL!

Nice build man.

Nicely done Mister Randy! I hope to do the same type of thing when I get around to my Savage roller! So after this is done, what is your overall opinion on working on the Warhead? I know everyone says they are a PITA, and you and I spoke a little bit about it, but I'm curious as to what your final verdict is ;-)

Looks great! Its more than I would ever have done with it.

nice work send us a video of it running

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all approve of the work! :thumbup:

Holy Crap Randy! That is simply amazing work. That looks better then new. Really nice job.

And for your Poll, you forgot option number 5;
Can't wait to see the Aftershock build!

Maybe I don't have an Aftershock anymore? :ponder2:

I'll take those Nubz back! LOL!

Nice build man.

$40 they're yours, need my PP? :D J/K I'm keeping them now!

Nicely done Mister Randy! I hope to do the same type of thing when I get around to my Savage roller! So after this is done, what is your overall opinion on working on the Warhead? I know everyone says they are a PITA, and you and I spoke a little bit about it, but I'm curious as to what your final verdict is ;-)

Well as mt's go, there are some things that are definately more of a hassle than most. The front and rear bulks/diffs/arms are about the same as others, but the main chassis gets more cramped for working room. You have to pay attention to the order of assembly too, or you'll be taking stuff back apart. Like install the header spring BEFORE the fuel tank and the carb linkage BEFORE the air filter or the side screws in the center skids BEFORE the bottom screws. Comparably most people would say it's a PITA to work on.

Looks great! Its more than I would ever have done with it.

Well that's good, if you had done this stuff then I wouldn't have had a truck to play with :hehe:

He ripped me off.

Beautiful piece of work, Randy. Now I can send you my parts since you'll have a LOT of free time to work on them. :D

Yeah, sure you will :p:

GRREEEAAT Job

Great job on the build, you need to post before and beafter pictures side by side so people can see the difference:whhooo:....must be nice to have lathe and milling machine at hand:whhooo:..You should be proud of your work:first_place:..Later, Ben

Last edited:
Great job on the build, you need to post before and beafter pictures side by side so people can see the difference:whhooo:....must be nice to have lathe and milling machine at hand:whhooo:..You should be proud of your work:first_place:..Later, Ben

Thanks Ben! :)

BTW, I have more than a lathe and mill at hand. I have an entire machine shop available for me to use :D

He did pics all the way throught the complete bulid process:thumbup:.......from(since) page one !;):D
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66078

Here you go.

Before

thestuff.JPG

topless.JPG

After

complete2.JPG

complete4.JPG

Really is amazing. He does Hella good work. Amazes me every time.
:

:goodpost::D

Nice choice on the yellow highlights. :first_place:
Where did you get the yellow coupler for the muffler? I haven't been able to find one.

Are exhaust couplers universal size? I have a yellow one I don't need. ~1/2" ID; ~3/4" OD; ~1.5" long.

I have a yellow one on my OFNA Buggy and both my Warheads had yellow. I thought I saw them on Tower for sale as well?

Back