Another Cheap Project - Warhead - FINALLY DONE!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any updates ?

Sorry, I've made a couple more attempts at coloring the head and they didn't go too well. Ilet sit too long in the coloring solution and it pitted the aluminum. Just about got it ruined. I think I'm going to polish it up and call it good, that is if all the pits aren't too hard to get out. Haven't done anything else to it.

WOW! What a difference a little polish and elbow grease makes, eh? Nice work! :)

Thanks! That's really one of the purposes for this thread. Trying to show some of newbs and cash flow impaired that you don't have to have a ton of money to make nice looking rig.

Update time!

Well it's been a while, too many things to do and too little time to do it.

So I left off with trying to find a way to recolor the cooling head because I didn't like the red anno. After several attempts with poor results and then beadblasting it back off, I ended up with an alsmost ruined head. Here's a pic, look at that pitting.

pitted.JPG

Well that's not going to work for me. So I spent some time looking for a suitable replacement. After not being able to find something I liked, I remembered I had an extra head off my Savage. It was a little beat up, so I beadbalsted it and decided with some polishing that should do fine.

polished.JPG

Ok, that looks better, but it's kind of boring. At least the stock head has some interesting shape. So I decided I would machine this one to look similar in hopes that would satisfy my need for something neat. After a little drawing with CAD/CAM software, it's off to the shop for some milling.

milling.JPG

machined.JPG

Not too bad, I can live with it. Now it's time to install it. The only other items needed to do to finish the engine is to shim the clutchbell and install the airfilter. I decided to use the stock filter but I did add a prefilter foam to it Here it is, ready to go back in the truck.

assembled.JPG

Well that's it for this update, hiopefully if all goes as planned, tomorow night I will have another, possible a finished truck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Finally an update THANK YOUU !! :) The head looks awesome.Nice job.I love all your projects. and project cheap o maxx was great! how's your son keeping up with the truck ? any crashes yet ? hope to hear from you soon and good luck!

Finally an update THANK YOUU !! :) The head looks awesome.Nice job.I love all your projects. and project cheap o maxx was great! how's your son keeping up with the truck ? any crashes yet ? hope to hear from you soon and good luck!

Sorry the update took so long. Like stated here and at the beginning I've got a lot of other things I'm working on and there's no dead line on this truck.

My son hasn't driven the Maxx much yet. The weather hasn't been too cooperative. Break-in is all we've done, no hard bashing yet.

You really take pride in your work. Ilike the head and the overall enthusiasm! Great job!

Question: when you shaved the head like that, you effectively cut down it's total surface area - will that make it run hotter?

NICE design, as well, it's cool that you were able to make something that is 100% original - cool conversation piece at the track, to be sure haha! :)

Question: when you shaved the head like that, you effectively cut down it's total surface area - will that make it run hotter?

NICE design, as well, it's cool that you were able to make something that is 100% original - cool conversation piece at the track, to be sure haha! :)

Actually, this head is a little bit larger in diameter and 1 fin taller than the stock. So no, there should not be any cooling issues here.

Sorry, things did not go as planned. No update today :\

keep it up mate nice work hope you get it running soon

Besides the fact that it's DuraTrash? :hehe: Really, there is nothing wrong with DuraTrax--I use a few of their products, and have thought about getting an Evader. Keep the pictures coming!

Evader's(BX) SUCK ! trust me, I had an Evader BX and it had plastic gears in the steering servo which stripped in ! DURATRASH.......Exactly !;)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLL7**&P=ML

BTW Racer_1996, anyway, looks like an interesting project to say the least. I hope it turns out better that it looks now.:D
The cooling head look great, nice job !:thumbup:

Last edited:
Evader's(BX) SUCK ! trust me, I had an Evader BX and it had plastic gears in the steering servo which stripped in ! DURATRASH.......Exactly !;)

A cheap stripped servo makes it so bad you have to call it trash huh?

I hope it turns out better that it looks now.:D

It'll just be clean, stock almost new condition when done. I hope that's good enough. :)

A cheap stripped servo makes it so bad you have to call it trash huh?

It'll just be clean, stock almost new condition when done. I hope that's good enough. :)

Yeah well, I thought so anyway.:D That and the fact that I could never get it runnning right or even to stay running, not to mention that the Dura'trash' Evader BX's stupid pull start broke several times from pulling on it so much becuase it would never start !:hehe:

Yes, that is good enough, I just meant that I hope you get rid of all the rust and that it runs like new when your done that's all !;):thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow Randy, absolutely amazing what you can do. I love watching all your threads. They're Amazing. That cooling head is SICK!

Wow Randy, absolutely amazing what you can do. I love watching all your threads. They're Amazing. That cooling head is SICK!

You guys are too easily impressed :p:

Update time!

Well today I had a little more time to work,errrrr....Play! So I figured I would use it on the Warhead.

I disassembled the front bulk assembly and began the task of removing the rust from the steel parts.

pieces.JPG

With that done I then began cleaning the plastic and preparing for reassembly. Well snap! We has us a problem. One of the upper arms is severely cracked.

brokenarm.JPG

That ended my fun for the night! :\ Time to buy more parts. While lamenting over the broken arm, I began to examine the bulks. The new EVO upgrade kit contains what is supposed to be upgraded units. Unless the plastic itself is different, I couldn't see any difference in the parts. So you know my motto, "if it isn't broke,don't fix it". I didn't even open the bag,I'll wait until I break one then replace them.

bulks.JPG

Sorry for the short update,but that's it folks!

I think they beefed up the bulkheads because they were prone to breaking. I think I remember reading that somewhere? I would swap em out while you have it apart. There was a reason they tossed em in as an upgrade...and they are a pain to get to once it's all together. lol If you need a spare set...I'll send you mine. I have like 4 or 5 sets of em somehow.....

Looking good so far though man!

I think I may have some spare upper arms as well. If you want me to look...I'll check my parts bin.

I think they beefed up the bulkheads because they were prone to breaking. I think I remember reading that somewhere? I would swap em out while you have it apart. There was a reason they tossed em in as an upgrade...and they are a pain to get to once it's all together. lol If you need a spare set...I'll send you mine. I have like 4 or 5 sets of em somehow.....

Looking good so far though man!

I think I may have some spare upper arms as well. If you want me to look...I'll check my parts bin.

I'm sure there must be a reason for the bulks in the kit, but there is NO difference between the kit and what's on my truck. No extra material/thickness anywhere. I figure it's like my Savage when I got it, it was 25 but a later model so it already had a lot of the upgrades of an X on it.

There is also a fuel tank in the kit, but it is also identical to what I have on the truck.

Thanks for the offer on the arm,:thumbup: but I have bids on a full set of upper/lower so I can have some spares.

Valid point. You may already have the upgraded ones on there. I'll check my parts stash tomorrow to see if I have 2 different sets and send off some pics if they are different. I got mine and it already had an EVO kit on it, plus some old Bulks in a plastic bag. Fuel Tank was the "racing" tank I believe and just had a little extra capacity from the stock one. Stock they came with 2 fuel tanks. One tiny one that mounts behind the motor and holds a few more CCs of fuel.

I've got that tiny tank. It's called a header tank, mostly used in planes. The idea is to have a small area that is always full to maintain a more consistant fuel flow.

Back