Paint Pens

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm looking for an alternative to cutting ultra fine lines in mask that will yield a more opaque result than Sharpie markers. Anybody try these or something of the like?

21312-4050-3ww-l.jpg

i used them on a couple models, great for small parts, seems to adhere and last just as long as spray paint....

i was planning on using them on the "cage" area around the bed whenever i order a body for my revo

I can't imagine finding a paint pen much finer than that. I see on that pic that the width is .029". As long as it goes on opaque I suppose it's worth a shot.

I've used their regular paint pens and they work well. The only thing I suggest is doing 2 coats. Much like with a Sharpie, the first coat can be kinda thin. But it does stick well and makes for easy details.

I used it to outline Taz on this one:
taz21ml.jpg

Last edited:
I've used paint pens in the past for other uses. You'll need to be careful since the paint doesn't always flow from the tip in smooth lines and may get some uneven line fills. Just go very slow for an even application.

Thanks fellas, I'm gonna order a few tonight. Hopefully they will allow me to do what I want on my current projects.

oh how wonderful... Elmers discontinued the ultra fine line of pens. found another make though. Uchida.

Just ordered a few of those Decocolor paint pens in Extra Fine. I'll keep this thread posted with the results.

OH YEAH! These Dococolor pens are the shiznit. They write as fine as an ultra fine sharpie. consistant line and completely opaque. Too bad the white one is on B.O. :(

I'm really looking forward to using these. I think I'll be able to add a little more detail than I thought I would be able to and much easier.

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=2029

I ordered them Thursday and received them today. I picked up a couple black, a pink, light blue, silver and white. Unfortunately, the white is on BO.

This thread useless without pics. :D

I want to see some examples of the results from the pens. I've got a design I want to shoot that will either require some serious fine mask cutting or a paint pen which would work much better.

Did you have to do several coats or was it pretty nice and thick going on?

a little update (sorry, no pics yet)

Just thought I'd let you guys know what I've found out about these pens.

• a smooth/steady movement yields nice results (not too fast, not too slow)
  • If you're doing freehand lines, one pass is enough
  • You can put down a line along a mask edge without the mask pulling up the paint from the good side. This is a big plus. However, the paint is thin so when you go along the mask edge it tends to pool a little along the edge and be slightly thinner a 1-1.5mm out. A second pass will create a more uniform line.
  • If you are putting down a line along a mask edge, you definately need to remember to press the mask edge down well or the paint from the pen will sure get under the mask a little.
I'm very pleased with my testing at this point. I'll be putting them to actual use very soon.

[*]You can put down a line along a mask edge without the mask pulling up the paint from the good side. This is a big plus. However, the paint is thin so when you go along the mask edge it tends to pool a little along the edge and be slightly thinner a 1-1.5mm out. A second pass will create a more uniform line.

Hmm.. this I like. Have you tried a light color like yellow that tends to show if not backed properly? Just wondering because you say it paints thick enough for a single pass but thin enough to seep under mask not sealed well. Just curious if when backed there is a noticeable color diff or (doing masked fades/shadows) it pops out or is noticeable when backed with darker color.

I have not attempted to back anything yet but I've tested with black, light blue, and white. The black really doesn't need the second pass if doing lines along a masked edge.

I've only done testing so far but one stroke should be all thats necessary.

Ahhh....so that's you you ended up with kids.....

THANK YOU!!! I'll be here all week!

And back on topic...
Amoeba, here's a bod I did using a white paint pen to draw in the lightning. You can see that it still stands out even when backed with black. The pens usually lay a nice line with one coat. I tend to do 2 just for safety's sake. But they're a great tool for outlining rather than having to hand cut all that fine stuff.

15Bug.jpg

Amoeba, here's a bod I did using a white paint pen to draw in the lightning. You can see that it still stands out even when backed with black. The pens usually lay a nice line with one coat. I tend to do 2 just for safety's sake. But they're a great tool for outlining rather than having to hand cut all that fine stuff.

Wow. Okay, that *is* some nice coating. These were the DecoColor pens eh? I may just need to pick me up some.