Steering servo saver issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I replaced my stock Monsoon steering servo a while back with a JR Z9100T (300oz @ 4.8v). The problem is the servo is just too beefy for the stock steering column with servo saver. i.e I have to tighten the adjustable nut pretty much fully closed to get full end-to-end steering at low speeds. Otherwise the servo saver splits and I get almost no steering angle at a stop/slow speed. Kind of defeats the purpose of a servo saver if I have to fully lock it to get good steering response. I'd rather switch to a horn saver where I'd have better control over when it kicks in (by using a stronger clip) but still have save functionality. I'd hate to strip the gears on a $100+ servo :)

Anyone run into this problem before with Truggies or other heavy/wide tire vehicles and how did you address it?

Not sure what a monsoon is, but maybe you can find a comparable spring that is stiffer? Maybe from another vehicle. Many RC's have that type of servo saver and I'd have to guess they aren't all the same strength of spring.

Not sure what a monsoon is, but maybe you can find a comparable spring that is stiffer? Maybe from another vehicle. Many RC's have that type of servo saver and I'd have to guess they aren't all the same strength of spring.

a monsoon is a redcat truggy as for the orginal question i have 1 of the horn type savers on my mgt and it seems to work really well

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation but it sounds like something is binding in your steering. It doesn't make any sense to me that the servo saver would begin to "break" unless there is some sort of force working against the steering.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation but it sounds like something is binding in your steering. It doesn't make any sense to me that the servo saver would begin to "break" unless there is some sort of force working against the steering.

With truggy up on blocks, the steering is fine and unhooking the servo turnbuckle and moving steering side-side is fluid but not sloppy. The only force working against the steering is the weight of the chassis and the wide tires, which to be honest are super grippy.

I'm thinking that olds97_ss is on the right track that the stock spring isn't very stiff.

yeah, he's got to be right then. That's a pretty crappy spring. Can you get some dimensions? Maybe some of us would be willing to compare and maybe even give you some approximate spring rates. I can pull the spring out of my S3 and get dimensions if you want.

yeah, he's got to be right then. That's a pretty crappy spring. Can you get some dimensions? Maybe some of us would be willing to compare and maybe even give you some approximate spring rates. I can pull the spring out of my S3 and get dimensions if you want.

Yeah, I'll pull it out later tonight and get the diameter, wire gauge, and length.

Right now I'm in the middle of tearing down/cleaning and putting in electronics on the HPI MT2 I got from charliejp. Not that it needs much TLC or cleaning, it's in great condition. Definitely buy stuff from him if he's got something you need.

How old is it? Springs age and get weaker over time. Especially a spring that spends the majority of it's life compressed. That's why we store or rigs off the ground with the arms dangling, or at least part of the reason. It allows the springs to rest so they don't stay compressed.

May just be that the spring is old and lost it's spring.

How old is it? Springs age and get weaker over time. Especially a spring that spends the majority of it's life compressed. That's why we store or rigs off the ground with the arms dangling, or at least part of the reason. It allows the springs to rest so they don't stay compressed.

May just be that the spring is old and lost it's spring.

About 2 days old :)

Uh...

So, in your book, two days is a while?

I R CORNFUZED! :hehe:

Heh sorry. I snapped a universal drive shaft over the holidays and just recently got a whole new front-end for replacement parts (was cheaper overall in the long run for spare parts). Since I'm lazy, I put on the new whole front-end rather than take the universal out and replace the broken one. The spring issue existed on the other front-end too, I just got irritated enough about it to finally post something. :)

Back