How Do i Clean Diffs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mido

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ever since I've bought my savage x 4.6, all I've been doing is the normal routine which is the blowing the crap off, the after run oil, Tires. I've never done internal things like diffs. i just want to know what i need to clean or grease usually. Also if anyone has a video of how to clean diffs that would be great cuz I've never done it!

your diffs are sealed and don't need cleaned. you can lube the ends of all the dog bones if you wish.

your diffs are sealed and don't need cleaned. you can lube the ends of all the dog bones if you wish.
If you are going to lube the dog bone ends; I would use a dry lube so it does not attract dirt and dust which can actually increase friction and wear.

They will need to be cleaned if you're going to be switching oils.

You can disassemble the differential then clean all the pieces with any cleaner designed to clean off oil, dirt, grime, etc. like this one:
http://www.redrc.net/2008/04/losi-nitrotec-spray-cleaner/

You can also clean everything with an ultrasonic cleaner filled with Naptha, or just a bowl filled with Naptha and put all the differential pieces into a Tea Infuser (Pretty much a Tea Ball).

So for sure, no cleaning of diffs? Also, what else would i need to open up and grease? I usally take off my tires, clean em, the engine clean underneith etc the obvius tihngs. Anything else?

It's good to inspect all the gears inside and outside the differential to check that they aren't chewed up. Also, the viscosity of the oil/grease you are using may change, so it's good to change it every 10-15 runs.

I also like to make sure that the air filter is clean. But I would think you already know that :D.

Oh, make sure all your metal-to-metal screws are all tightened up with threadlock, especially for the motor.

Yep

Everything done there, except, i never checked the tranny, and never checked the diffs. Is the tranny hard or take apart? Or is it just streaight forward screws?

Depends on what Savage you have. If you have the S25, you will have the old style case, unless you upgraded. If you have the Savage X, you have the newer style tranny case that is easy to take apart.

For S25, you have to remove the whole tranny and take each screw out to access the gears.

For Savage X, you only need to remove the 4 top screws (2 on each side of the TVP's) and two screws on the lid of the the case. From there you can remove the top to access the gears.

Usually, do you add grease in there? Or am i just looking for any chewed up gears?:D