Link Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I noticed the artr ax10 has bent links only in the rear. I picked up a set of bent links from Joe at EEM, and I was wondering if there were any advantages or disadvantages of running the bent links only on the rear of the truck? Or would it just be better to run the bent links on both ends? The one thing I didn't like about them is the driveshaft stayed lower than the links. On the rear I just pivoted the axle a little by adding a spacer and longer screw in to the three link on the axle, that pretty much took care of that problem. But if I do that to the front it would put the steering links way low at a bad angle that would get hung up on everything.

You might want to check out the thread on "Behind the axle" steering conversion. It's a good bit of work, but it gets the good stuff behind the diff.
Also, where you mount the triangle link to the frame determines whether the axle tips up or down. You might have to modify.

In theory, this setup should work. Just mount a plate in the existing hole or drill a new one if necessary.

T-6.jpg

its basically a personal preferance Joe, I've ran bent in just the back, just the front and both and both is better for the clearance obviously, but wouldnt worry about the front driveline, it will take alot of abuse hangin down below the links like that.

You might want to check out the thread on "Behind the axle" steering conversion. It's a good bit of work, but it gets the good stuff behind the diff.
Also, where you mount the triangle link to the frame determines whether the axle tips up or down. You might have to modify.

I took care of the rear rather easily, just by adding a spacer and longer screw to the single side of the three link where it attaches to the rear axle. I just dont want to pivot the front axle down because of the steering. I also do not at all like the mod timmah posted, no way am I cutting one of the tabs off my axle, I know it will not hold up with only one tab so I may try to come up with my own behid the axle steering setup.

but wouldnt worry about the front driveline, it will take alot of abuse hangin down below the links like that.

That's what confuses me. I will get better clearance with the bent links, but the driveline is still hanging low and now taking all the abuse, so I would not actually be getting better clearance at all unless I can get the driveline up too. Your statement is kind of contradictory, why wouldn't I worry about it?

I am running bent links front and rear and even though the front drive shaft still hangs down a little I still get better over all belly clearance with this set up because the drive shaft go up at a steeper angle then the straight links do. look at these pics.

P1040654Medium.jpg

P1040691Medium.jpg

P1040687Medium.jpg

lol, get some MIP's and let em get beat up!!!

I actually bought some of the mips. I put them on my tuber instead, they fit real nice with the axial axles and R2 tranny. :D

I noticed the artr ax10 has bent links only in the rear. I picked up a set of bent links from Joe at EEM, and I was wondering if there were any advantages or disadvantages of running the bent links only on the rear of the truck? Or would it just be better to run the bent links on both ends? The one thing I didn't like about them is the driveshaft stayed lower than the links. On the rear I just pivoted the axle a little by adding a spacer and longer screw in to the three link on the axle, that pretty much took care of that problem. But if I do that to the front it would put the steering links way low at a bad angle that would get hung up on everything.

Great question i was woundering that myself....and thanks for the answers everyone

I took care of the rear rather easily, just by adding a spacer and longer screw to the single side of the three link where it attaches to the rear axle. I just dont want to pivot the front axle down because of the steering. I also do not at all like the mod timmah posted, no way am I cutting one of the tabs off my axle, I know it will not hold up with only one tab so I may try to come up with my own behid the axle steering setup.

That's what confuses me. I will get better clearance with the bent links, but the driveline is still hanging low and now taking all the abuse, so I would not actually be getting better clearance at all unless I can get the driveline up too. Your statement is kind of contradictory, why wouldn't I worry about it?

I agree with Lloyd. Well you know I run straight delrin right now on my AX10 but on my Wheely King I am running with the rear axle tucked up and the front hanging down. You get better clearance on the sides. The front being low isn't as much of a problem and most of the hits it will take are glancing hits and will not be too much of a problem. I don't recall getting hung up on the front at all even with it down. You can always replace the front shaft with some pede shafts for a couple of bucks if it takes a really bad beating.

Or I can wait to destroy the shafts, which will give me an excuse to tell the wife I need to get new shafts, and get another set of the mip shafts from ya Joe :D

I'm telling you try the Pede's with some rings they are pretty good and really cheap...I am too cheap to buy MIPs :hehe:

what is a drive shaft? who need that:)

on my ax10 they was lower but didnt really get banged up that much