Losi Mini-LST2 - Reset ESC now have no reverse?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marauder

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm not really familiar with brushed speed controllers, but I tried to reset the speed control on this new Mini-LST2 because the throttle was trimmed way out from center, and it seemed to launch in reverse like a raped ape, but forward was rather slow. I figured the throttle adjustment was off, so I follow the manual's 4 instructions, and have apparently disabled brake/reverse all together. ESC lights red when I press brake, but no brake, no reverse, and no voltage to the motors. There is still a delay before it will let me go back into forward as well. It's very odd, and the manual doesn't really say jack... Please help, I really don't want to put any money into another mini.

From the manual:
Resetting the ESC
The ESC comes from the factory pre-set and ready for use. If for some reason you should need to re-set the ESC, use the following instructions.

1. Turn on the transmitter and ESC. Press the set-up button—both the RED and GREEN LEDs will come on.
  2. Pull the throttle trigger all the way back (full speed) and press the set-up button once—only the GREEN LED will come on.
  3. Push the throttle trigger full forward (brake/reverse) and push the set-up button once—only the RED LED will come on.
  4. Let the throttle trigger return to the neutral (center) position and press the set-up button once more to save the program and exit set-up mode—only the GREEN LED will be on.
Notes:
A: If the receiver does not receive a signal from the Transmitter, or if during the bind process, the ESC will not enter the Program mode.
B: While in Program mode, the motor will not run. My truck will take off when programming the full throttle setting.
C: If the set-up button is not pressed for 20 seconds while in the Program mode, the ESC will exit the Program mode and the data will be saved.

the instructions are for setting the throttle, which should have fixed your original issue. i know on the traxxas esc's they have multiple "modes" one of which is the race setting with no reverse. check your documentation again. it should tell you how to change the profiles.

I've not found anything in my search, that is how I thought as well. However, in race mode you would still have brake at least, correct? The manual has no more information than that, and my searches on google only turn up issues with thermal shutdown which I have not had any problem with. It runs great in forward, and I would be fine without even having reverse, but not having brake is not acceptable. I assume there was a brake/reverse disable, but not sure how I would have engaged it. I do know when I enter the "program mode" the motors will still work, which is something the manual says should not happen. I'm probably going to call losi about it tomorrow, but their hours are really inconvenient for me, since I can't have the thing in front of me at work to talk with them. As of no though I have no brake or reverse. ESC is showing the input by lighting up red but there is no voltage to the motors when reverse/brake is applied.

That would be best... I had to call when my battery and ESC melted together at the connector. Horizon sent me a new Battery and ESC the next day. The customer service is great.

Called Losi today, pretty cool because you can leave a callback number instead of being on hold for a while. They called back pretty quick, within a few minutes they determined the ESC went bad. They're shipping a new one no questions asked (Aside from whether or not I could peel the old one off and put the new one on).

Great product support, no doubt! +1 For Losi / Horizon Hobby.

Yeah, they were awesome when I had to call... in another post, I refered to it as "Traxxas-like" service. That makes me a loyal customer.

Called Losi today, pretty cool because you can leave a callback number instead of being on hold for a while. They called back pretty quick, within a few minutes they determined the ESC went bad. They're shipping a new one no questions asked (Aside from whether or not I could peel the old one off and put the new one on).

Great product support, no doubt! +1 For Losi / Horizon Hobby.

did you have to pay for it or no?:\

i have had the same issues. those esc suck. i would recomend upgrading it to brushless or something with a good esc. i had a few mini lst2s around here and all formed the same issue. i burned out prob. 4 or 5 esc's. finally i pulled the radio off the mini lst2 and said forget it. i do have a spare chassis if you know anyone who might need one, it has the center diff spool, but the rear diff is bad.