Bought a TC4 FT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys... just bought a TC4 FT Kit! I went ahead and bought on on Ebay from Associatedelectrics out of Costa Mesa. I believe that is actually associated's headquarters right? Maybe I bought it from Associated? LOL Anyway, I am guessing that with only a $10 shipping charge, it will take 10 days to get here, but I still need to get so much for it. I think I am going to go with what Robmob put in his and go with the GTB 4.5R BL setup. I am not sure what tires and wheels to put on it yet though. Any suggestions as to what size Spur and Pinion, as well as wheels and tire combos, and batteries would be greatly appreicated. Thanks guys.

Tom

P.S. Do any of you guys run the FT cooling fan kit?

Last edited:
I ran the spur it came with with a 17T pinion. It is the smallest pinion I could fit and still rotate the motor far enough to get proper gear mesh. If you follow the 4.5R instruction, it will tell you to use a 15T but you will not be able to. The 17t worked fine and overheating was not an issue. I am also using this speed control which i really like. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRHU7&P=ML

I also used 28mm pre-mounted and trued foam tires in Magenta which is a 35 hardness on the front and rear. They gripped the asphalt nicely during my race.

Also used an Associated TC4 190mm stock body but also have a protoform 190mm charger body I am going to try to see if there is a difference.

I ran the spur it came with with a 17T pinion. It is the smallest pinion I could fit and still rotate the motor far enough to get proper gear mesh. If you follow the 4.5R instruction, it will tell you to use a 15T but you will not be able to. The 17t worked fine and overheating was not an issue. I am also using this speed control which i really like. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRHU7&P=ML

I also used 28mm pre-mounted and trued foam tires in Magenta which is a 35 hardness on the front and rear. They gripped the asphalt nicely during my race.

Also used an Associated TC4 190mm stock body but also have a protoform 190mm charger body I am going to try to see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the Info Robmob! Where do you get your tires from? I was going to try rubber and foam tires to see what worked best. I am only going to race this thing on Asphalt and the occasional parking lot. Just a basher.... that is why I decided not to pay another $100 or so for the new TC5... just couldn't see paying the extra cash for a basher. By the sounds of your experience I am going to enjoy this!

Also... what weight shock oil are you running?

What do you think about the cooling fans from Associated?

Robs setup ran great. I **believe** its the stock out of the box chassis settings. Its a fairly neutral setup and will run good till you decide what you want to do.

Take your time building it. It will require an amount of filing on the suspension as well as an amount of shimming. Take your time and get it right the first time. Everything should move smooth without binding yet have as little play as possible.

You will want to get the VCS-2 shock upgrade kit before you build the kit as well as a set of hardened steel diffs. May want to grab a diff shim kit to have on hand just to be safe. Other then that, I can't think of anything else needed.

Dont go "MonkyWrench" on the screws. Just tighten them till they touch then a tad, just a tad bit more.

Welcome to the club!

O- yah, get a good combo ride height and droop gauge.

I used the oil it came with. It was either 30 or 40wt.

Here are the tires I used.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPLS9&P=7

You are going to have a blast with it.

Here is some other stuff you may want to consider...

VCS2 Shock Upgrade Kit
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLTX9&P=7

Steel diffs if you are going brushless
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXH05&P=7

Battery hold down unless you want to use tape or a velcro strap
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLVM7&P=7

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Robmob and Fast Ed... I will take my time and try to do it by the book. I will have to pay extra attnetion to the screw tightness... I have been known to over tighten. Being new.... to this kind of precision, what areas need to be filed, and does the kit come with shims? Thanks guys.

Tom

Gottcha... Thanks!

I am guessing the TC3 hardened diffs will work with the TC4? Hey Robmob... the TC4 does not include a battery hold down? Thanks

Tom

TC3-TC4 is the same diff.
No, it does not come with the Battery Hold Down. :(
Get one.

TC3-TC4 is the same diff.
No, it does not come with the Battery Hold Down. :(
Get one.

I don't know........ I kinda like my batteries just flopping around! LOL

Battery hold down.... added to the list!

Thanks

Tom

Well guys,

I got home this afternoon to find a box left by the UPS guy. Inside of it was my new Factory Team TC4. This is my first touring car, and I can't wait to start the build. I am just going to bash and occasionally race, so that is why I decided to save the cash and get the older version as apposed to the newer TC5. I also wanted to stay away from the maintenace of the belt drive. I am just in need of a few items and I will be ready for the build. This is going to be so cool once I actually get this thing built and ready to run. Take care guys.

Tom

Well guys,

Most of the parts came in for the TC4 build Friday. Except one part that is probably one of the most important..... the hardend steel diffs. I am really hesitant to start the build now, only because I am going to run a BL motor in it and I didn't want to shed the diffs. I suppose I could just build it up with the stockers, but I was hoping to avoid having to take the car apart again. What is it with Associated and there parts inventory? I had to wait 6 months to get Ti turnbuckles for my 18T, and almost a month to get Turnbuckles for my T4, and I have to wait until the end of July to get front and rear arms for it. Does anybody know why this is? It is rather frustrating and according to my LHS.. parts for the TC4 are due to stop soon. Sorry to rant guys... just a bit frustrated is all.

Tom

While it's nice to support the LHS, you would have had all the parts you needed if you had ordered them from one of the on-line retailers.

I also doubt that parts support for the TC4 are going to be stopping anytime soon.

While it's nice to support the LHS, you would have had all the parts you needed if you had ordered them from one of the on-line retailers.

I also doubt that parts support for the TC4 are going to be stopping anytime soon.

Yeah... I know... I should have just ordered the stuff from RCBoyz or Amain... and even.. I hate to say it.. Tower. The guy at my LHS is really great, and is usually right fast at getting parts for me. His distributors though are running really low on parts especially the associated stuff... or at least the stuff I need anyway. As far as the parts availabitly... I can only go on what he tells me... for what its worth anyway. If you could forward the online stores you get your parts from I would really apreciate it. That way I can just go there. I really do believe in supporting the LHS, but in some instances I understand why you can't always. Besides.. what little money I am spending on parts is not going to help or hurt the LHS anyway.

Tom

You can start the build just do the difs and the rest when they come in.

Yes, there is one LARGE distributor that is holding out on stock due to cash flow. They are in the process of acquiring another distributor and need short term cash in the bank to complete the deal. They will also acquire their stock and dont want to be overloaded.

This is the word on the street. If its true, I dont know.

Yeah... I know... I should have just ordered the stuff from RCBoyz or Amain... and even.. I hate to say it.. Tower. The guy at my LHS is really great, and is usually right fast at getting parts for me. His distributors though are running really low on parts especially the associated stuff... or at least the stuff I need anyway. As far as the parts availabitly... I can only go on what he tells me... for what its worth anyway. If you could forward the online stores you get your parts from I would really apreciate it. That way I can just go there. I really do believe in supporting the LHS, but in some instances I understand why you can't always. Besides.. what little money I am spending on parts is not going to help or hurt the LHS anyway.

Tom

You just named the top 3 I deal with. Stormer Hobbies also has parts that are hard to come by. Of course there is also eBay where I seem to find good deals.

You can start the build just do the difs and the rest when they come in.

Yes, there is one LARGE distributor that is holding out on stock due to cash flow. They are in the process of acquiring another distributor and need short term cash in the bank to complete the deal. They will also acquire their stock and dont want to be overloaded.

This is the word on the street. If its true, I dont know.

Well if that is true.. I hope it happens fast! LOL I have a TC4 to build! I will just save the diffs for last I suppose. Thanks for the word on the street.... I guess we can start calling you "Huggy Bear"? :D

Tom

You just named the top 3 I deal with. Stormer Hobbies also has parts that are hard to come by. Of course there is also eBay where I seem to find good deals.

Thanks my friend. I think I will start going online first... at least for some of the harder to get parts anyway. Thanks again.

Tom

The way I look at it, if your LHS has to order the part and you have to wait for it, you can just as easily order the part yourself from someplace you know actually has it in stock.

BTW, if you haven't already, get yourself a back-up set of arms. I destroyed a front one on Saturday and also bent a hinge pin. Luckily I had spares.

The way I look at it, if your LHS has to order the part and you have to wait for it, you can just as easily order the part yourself from someplace you know actually has it in stock.

BTW, if you haven't already, get yourself a back-up set of arms. I destroyed a front one on Saturday and also bent a hinge pin. Luckily I had spares.

Thanks for the info my friend. You are right.... if the LHS doesn't have it, then I am in the same boat as ordering from the web. I actually did order and recieve a set of Arms for the front and rear... I did not order hinge pins, which I am searching for as we speak. I ordered a spare spur, and pinion, as well. Anything else you think I might need? While I am placing the order, I might as well save on shipping. BTW... other than the breaking the arm... how did you fare this weekend?

Tom

Rob was so funny at the race.
He just couldn't deal with having one shiny and one not shiny front hinge pin. he insisted on changing both of them..

IMO it would have turned right much better if they were unmatched. But WTF do I know :D