Merv shock cap keeps pulling off

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.R.S. Ninja_007

RCTalk Addict
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
So this actually happened twice; the first time it happened because of a failed landing from 1’ in the air. I just refilled the shock and came out today, and it happened again, this time from traction rolling. For context, I’m running on a dirt oval with a few exposed roots and some loose dirt. Nothing looks broken or stripped, and it happened both times on the same shock. Should I just replace it? I’m going to email Traxxas about this in hopes they send me a new shock body and shock cap but in the meantime I’m open to any opinions and suggestions.

B0961D62-3152-45E0-AC07-7C5931BF6355.jpeg

Last edited:
you could try using a plastic cement to bond them together or just replacing the cap with a metal one

Is the shock cap plastic? if so, see if they make an aluminum one. The plastic cap on plastic shock body likes to pull apart. I use aluminum caps and aluminum shock bodies/bores on my slash and rustler and had no problem. But with the e revo, it has that kind of suspension where the shocks are on the chassis instead of the shock tower/arm.

Rocker suspension. Thats what its called.

Yeah, plastic caps on plastic shock will do that. But maybe you should limit the downtravel so that the arms don't pull the cap off. I know my buddy has limiting straps on his "big" e-revo.

you could try using a plastic cement to bond them together or just replacing the cap with a metal one
I can’t find a metal shock cap anywhere. There are a few aluminum shock bodies, though
Yeah, plastic caps on plastic shock will do that. But maybe you should limit the downtravel so that the arms don't pull the cap off. I know my buddy has limiting straps on his "big" e-revo.
They also don’t make limiter straps for the merv

No, but I'd stay away from GPM and Integy. Hot Racing is legit, and most of Boom Racing stuff is good too.

Edit: vxs15606 looks nice.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what wt shock oil to use? I’m thinking 50-60wt, but I can always change the springs.

Update: I reassembled the shock one more time and it happened again on another major crash. I looked in my manual and I found #TRA7066X GTR anluminum shock body and #TRA7063T TiN shafts. I’ll probably also be getting #TRA5114 bearings for in the steering.
Any suggestions for upgrade servos?

Any suggestions for upgrade servos?
I have no idea for the e Revo but in my mini b I am using savox, having some troubles getting it in and working. Savox might be a direct fit into the e Revo? Or might not...

I used a cheap eco power servo in my mini b once. I'm pretty sure it was the 827 micro servo. I burnt it up in 2 runs.
Traxxas GTR shocks are a worthwhile upgrade.
If I keep.my slash long enough, I might upgrade to those. Right now I'm running the big bore shocks which are the same size as stock but all aluminum bores, aluminum caps, TiNi shafts ect..

Heard that the GTRs are really nice. Plush suspension.

I got the savox in mine and love it.
The SW-0250MGP? It’s half the price of SW-1250MGP with hardly different specs.
That is 100% not true. It comes with the factory shocks. The GTR shocks are a $60 upgrade.
These are GTR shocks, they just have the composite shock bodies. Definitely not ultra shocks…

image.jpg

Trust me when I tell you this the stock shocks on the Merv suck, the caps blow off or they leak out the bottom press on cap, the Traxxas upgrade aluminum GTRs leak because they use the same press on lower retainers like the stock ones, the Chinese cheapos leak, the GPMs leak, the Integy shocks leak. The best shock upgrade for the Merv is the Hot Racing shock bodies. I've had them on a Merv and a mini Summit no leaks no popped off caps ever.

Trust me when I tell you this the stock shocks on the Merv suck, the caps blow off or they leak out the bottom press on cap, the Traxxas upgrade aluminum GTRs leak because they use the same press on lower retainers like the stock ones, the Chinese cheapos leak, the GPMs leak, the Integy shocks leak. The best shock upgrade for the Merv is the Hot Racing shock bodies. I've had them on a Merv and a mini Summit no leaks no popped off caps ever.

Thank you so much for this Reddit article! I knew a lot about most of these upgrades but not in this depth.
Also, with the Hot Racing shock bodies do you need anything else or do they work with the stock shock caps and shock rods?

Last edited: