How heavy’s your rig bro??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
What’s your opinion on adding weight to your crawler?? Ultra light, heavy weight, or somewhere in between??
On our TRX4 build I was going for as much as was needed, without going crazy dropping da cash on da Brass.
Watched a YouTube Video last night and the guy was suggesting less is more, and he makes sense

I think it's more about getting the weight where it needs to be, rather than just adding weight everywhere. I am no pro at crawling by any means, but if you ever rode BMX bikes, lighter was always best. Going up and downhill required you to shift your weight from front to back. While a crawler can't really do that, you can shift the weight to where it is most useful, which is down low. So as light as possible, while still getting traction, with as low a cog as possible would be my take on it.

It was sitting about 11.6 lbs. After I swapped to the Fusion Pro I started playing with weight again and got back down to about 10.5 lbs.

I haven't been out much due to health and the weather but I think it's pretty close where it is and I just need to play with a few ounces here and there to get it balanced again.

I think it's more about getting the weight where it needs to be, rather than just adding weight everywhere. I am no pro at crawling by any means, but if you ever rode BMX bikes, lighter was always best. Going up and downhill required you to shift your weight from front to back. While a crawler can't really do that, you can shift the weight to where it is most useful, which is down low. So as light as possible, while still getting traction, with as low a cog as possible would be my take on it.
Agreed, I’ve been a Mtn Biker for over 30 years and weight distribution is key for steep climbs/ descents and high speed corners.
The guy in the video just made a good point about adding excessive weight and at some point when heading up hill, that weight is pulling the rig back rather than pushing it down.

LCG belly draggers are certainly a thing, but there are also guys with brass everything mounted on alloy axles.
To each their own, I just thought it was an interesting perspective….

The guy in the video just made a good point about adding excessive weight and at some point when heading up hill, that weight is pulling the rig back rather than pushing it down.
I learned this when trying to get a 1/16 crawler to make it up a steep incline. At some point, the weight was too much for the traction of the tires. And loss of traction, especially on steeper inclines, will be due to too much weight, or too little, just as it is the rubber, the surface, etc.

I still like my crawlers to have a scale look, doesn't have to be perfect but I like it to look like something that could be 1/1 scale. This means I don't have any super low slung vehicles, I'm willing to compromise a little performance. I do run wheel weights on most of mine, it does help it get some bite. but I don't go overboard with weight.

I generally ignore weight because i dont comp crawl and more scale=more better

+1
There's no perfect weight distribution set up. You're traversing terrains at all different angles and grades. And the slickness/grippiness of the surface will also significantly affect performance.
Setting up weight and weight distribution involves a bit of strategic compromising based upon your terrain.

+1
There's no perfect weight distribution set up. You're traversing terrains at all different angles and grades. And the slickness/grippiness of the surface will also significantly affect performance.
Setting up weight and weight distribution involves a bit of strategic compromising based upon your terrain.
Perfect explanation

Very true how you want ur weight for what your using ur rig for. Little tip for crawlers you can do suck downs Winch the front suck down for vertical up crawling and rear for vertical down crawling. I just know this because real rock crawlers I had to do this and would work for rcs as well

Was LCG crawlers always a thing or a newer concept for RC? The science behind it is pretty straightforward, just seems like they are more of a custom/comp build, and scale looks are more commonplace

The TRX-4 weighs 8.2 lbs (no battery), probably more like 8.6 with the battery.

I think the difference between BMX/Mtn bikes and my crawler is that I don't have to pedal my crawler. Also I'm not jumping it.... OK maybe a bit.

A bit of weight isn't unrealistic. Start with a 5,000 lb Tacoma then modify. I would bet that loaded down this is at least 8,000 lbs
1679161419107.png

However, the TRX-4 is not the heaviest. My Arrma Limitless weighs in at ~15lb fully loaded. Normally it has wheels. ;)
IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

I think the difference between BMX/Mtn bikes and my crawler is that I don't have to pedal my crawler. Also I'm not jumping it.... OK maybe a bit.

A bit of weight isn't unrealistic. Start with a 5,000 lb Tacoma then modify. I would bet that loaded down this is at least 8,000 lbs
View attachment 162020

However, the TRX-4 is not the heaviest. My Arrma Limitless weighs in at ~15lb fully loaded. Normally it has wheels. ;)
View attachment 162019

View attachment 162018
Wait, you crawl with a 15# limitless??? You da man!!

I’m confused, are you crawling with a speed runnner, or speed running with a crawler? Or is it one o dem new fangled hybrid doo hickies

View attachment 162020

View attachment 162019

View attachment 162018
Probably about 7k lbs. We build rigs like that and weigh them frequently. We do have an 8k lb JK Wrangler that is not fun to drive at all. You can camp for weeks out of it though.

Back