Xrt Speed Runner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSM020 is a good choice. It is on my wish list for future purchase. Watched a YouTube vid on it out of U.K. and the acceleration and speed graphs are top notch.

Currently using the reliable and rugged GSM-015. I like the instant read feature on its face. That and having the run pattern layout in download quickly shows if it was a straight run or there was a pattern or pull in one direction or the other. A good driving and tuning aid. I see it is listed as sold out at Amain. Perhaps SkyRC is transitioning to the 020 entirely?

BTW, TRX website lists additional spur gear choices for the XRT so mix-and-match pinion/spur is an option. For now, my recommendation would be not to worry too much about diff gear changes. Save that as useful info when it gets down to wanting that extra mph or two. I took a look at the XRT manual on line. Looks like there is a wealth of info there to get you started in your quest for speed. Good luck. Luck forward to seeing the speeds you get.

I didn't see a set-up sheet in the manual. May have missed it. You'll need one to keep track of baseline and changes and how they work or don't work.

Oh, RCCA (Radio Control Car Action) magazine, February 2023 issue, has an eight-page spread on the XRT. Might want to pick up a copy at your LHS or bookstore. May even be available for review on the RCCA website? I subscribe to both the print and digital issue so have access there.

Cheers. 'AC'
Ironic you mentioned radio control car action i used to read that thing every month incessantly when i was in middle school that and my uncle taking me to a rc track when i was 10 are what got me into it. Then life happened and i quit up until last year. My first rc when i got back into rc was the kraton 6s blx and about 400 in upgrades which i ruined the front end on the first day i ran it and havent used it since lol. I actually had covid pneumonia along with a mild heart attack at the beginning of this month my wife had to take time off her job and it put us in a bad financial spot so I'm actually trying to sell the kraton and upgrades atm to help recoup some losses. My next was the X-Maxx and xrt. Tbh i liked the kraton but it took too much to make it what an X-Maxx is already out of the box imo if that makes sense. Anyway my friend i appreciate your kind words and help. Feel free to look me up on facebook if youd like. My name on there is william nutting. I am standing in front of a waterfall with my mother.
Be safe my friend
Thats awesome info Grey thank you so much. Yeah thats too in depth for me right now lol. But i am confused about something. You stated that the tp 1140 is limited to 8s? What would you reccomend for a tp motor that could handle 8s and greater? Thats where id like to start. So I don't have to upgrade the motor in like 6 months. And you still never mentioned what a good spur and pinion tooth was to start with lol. Also I've read some speed guys get rid of their cush drive? Do i need to do this yet? Why do they do that? Does it serve a purpose to get rid of the cush drive vs keep it in?

Last edited:
Thats awesome info Grey thank you so much. Yeah thats too in depth for me right now lol. But i am confused about something. You stated that the tp 1140 is limited to 8s? What would you reccomend for a tp motor that could handle 8s and greater? Thats where id like to start. So I don't have to upgrade the motor in like 6 months.
The 1440kV is a pretty hard core motor. The only thing that I'm aware of that is more gnarly than that are the two TPPower CM series motors which both are capable of 70K+ RPMs but those motors are so extreme that I dont believe TPPower even offers any kind of warranty on them. Anything in excess of 60K RPMs and you are pushing some serious boundries in terms of amp draw and RPM limitations, not to mention they cost about 65% more than the 1440kV. I would not recommend you start with a CM series motor.

And you still never mentioned what a good spur and pinion tooth was to start with lol.
I did actually recommend maybe a 2:1 gear ratio and I believe someone else recommended 2.5:1 ratio. So whatever tooth count the spur gear is divide it by 2 or 2.5 and start with that size pinion.

Also I've read some speed guys get rid of their cush drive? Do i need to do this yet? Why do they do that? Does it serve a purpose to get rid of the cush drive vs keep it in?
I've never owned a rig with a cush drive unfortunately so thats one answer I dont have. Sorry

Last edited:
The 1440kV is a pretty hard core motor. The only thing that I'm aware of that is more gnarly than that are the two TPPower CM series motors which both are capable of 70K+ RPMs but those motors are so extreme that I dont believe TPPower even offers any kind of warranty on them. Anything in excess of 60K RPMs and you are pushing some serious boundries in terms of amp draw and RPM limitations, not to mention they cost about 65% more than the 1440kV. I would not recommend you start with a CM series motor.

I did actually recommend maybe a 2:1 gear ratio and I believe someone else recommended 2.5:1 ratio. So whatever tooth count the spur gear is divide it by 2 or 2.5 and start with that size pinion.

I've never owned a rig with a cush drive unfortunately so that one answer I dont have. Sorry
So what motors are good for 10s and up Grey? And I'm terrible with math my friend so ratios I don't understand

So what motors are good for 10s and up Grey?
I'm not aware of any that have a higher max RPM than that 1440kV. Once you get to the point of running 10-12S you're going to have to start using the online gearing calculators to figure out which one is faster given all of those rabbit hole factors I mentioned earlier because you're going to have to rely on gearing to overcome the lack of RPM.

And I'm terrible with math my friend so ratios I don't understand
No worries. if its 2:1 ratio then youd divide the spur tooth count by 2 to give you the pinion size. 3:1 youd divide by 3 etc. 1:1 would be where the spur and pinion are the same size.

Hey grey i found these on ebay but theres no 1440kv i wonder why?

Screenshot_20230124-193239_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230124-193428_eBay.jpg