Snow trucks opinion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukedavis

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Boating
What are your guyses opinions on driving RC trucks in the snow? I love to but I can only do it for a little while because my electronics are water-resistant. Its still very fun though! Also, what is your rig for if you play in the snow?

we run our X-Maxx's and SCX-6's in snow - temps down -10C. They are no good in deep snow, prefer hard packed with some powder on top. Run times are less with cold batteries - we just bring lots. Never had a problem with water in electronics, but we stay away from wet heavy snow - it packs into every space and can add over 5 pounds. Fun to jump snowdrifts and get on ice - we run on a frozen lake. Parts break much easier, especially on X-Maxx's. You pay for bad landings.

we run our X-Maxx's and SCX-6's in snow - temps down -10C. They are no good in deep snow, prefer hard packed with some powder on top. Run times are less with cold batteries - we just bring lots. Never had a problem with water in electronics, but we stay away from wet heavy snow - it packs into every space and can add over 5 pounds. Fun to jump snowdrifts and get on ice - we run on a frozen lake. Parts break much easier, especially on X-Maxx's. You pay for bad landings.
Yeah, I just bought a new 3s battery and after about 9-10 minutes it dies. Looks like I got to get more!

I find run times at -10C are about half (or less) of what they are at +20C. And changing batteries in the cold is no fun - fingers get cold and wet. But overall it is blast.

I find run times at -10C are about half (or less) of what they are at +20C. And changing batteries in the cold is no fun - fingers get cold and wet. But overall it is blast.
Heck yeah! I am currently in Baker City, Oregon in the US and there is snow outside right now so I might go rip around!

If you put dielectric grease on your connections at the receiver, it will help. We don't normally run in snow, but I have done it. I fried a servo on my Dromida buggy running in 1/2" of snow one time. It is fun though if you have the right snow and are a bit waterproof.

If its snow, Ima keep my butt inside :p

I did have a Rustler with Paddle tires in the rear and skis on the front once tho...

Whats this snow stuff?
- Chewie in Orlando. 😁

If you put dielectric grease on your connections at the receiver, it will help. We don't normally run in snow, but I have done it. I fried a servo on my Dromida buggy running in 1/2" of snow one time. It is fun though if you have the right snow and are a bit waterproof.
thanks for the advice!
If its snow, Ima keep my butt inside :p

I did have a Rustler with Paddle tires in the rear and skis on the front once tho...
Dang that sounds like fun
Whats this snow stuff?
- Chewie in Orlando. 😁
Oh just you know, fun.

Whats this snow stuff?
- Chewie in Orlando. 😁
It's like that white powdery stuff you guys have, but ours falls from the sky instead of being smuggled in by rickety boats. And if you snort ours, it just gives you brain freeze 🤪

What are your guyses opinions on driving RC trucks in the snow? I love to but I can only do it for a little while because my electronics are water-resistant. Its still very fun though! Also, what is your rig for if you play in the snow?
What trucks? What electronics? I run mine quite often in snow, and the only time i had an issue with them getting wet was with an Arrma BLX100 ESC. Most of the time, i run Hobby Wing WP (usually the WP-10BL60) series ESC's, cheap GoolRC motors, and 2S or nimh batteries. I have only ever ran a 3S a few times, and nothing bigger than that though. This is a LWB Arrma build i did, that i ran in the snow and cold quite frequently:
This is the post i did on the build: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/

I really like driving in snow. Traxxas cars are mostly waterproof so no issues. I would suggest 2 things.

Don't jump it, it will break.

If you run where there is salt wash your car after you run it or it will rust

I really like driving in snow. Traxxas cars are mostly waterproof so no issues. I would suggest 2 things.

Don't jump it, it will break.

If you run where there is salt wash your car after you run it or it will rust
Yeah, I don't like to jump mine in the snow because I recently put Arrma Mojave wheels and tires on my team associated sc10 4x4 belt driven, and just driving it around I have broken things. The wheels and tires are meant for a 1/7 scale truck and I'm running them on a 1/10 lol. I also am running a Spektrum Firma 85amp ESC and a 3300kv spektrum motor. I usually run it on 3s but I really should start running it on a 2s lipo lol. I had to make my own custom wheel hexes using some Traxxas Revo 3.3 wheel nuts which as we know are the same size as the hex on the wheel. They work pretty well. I also have a Traxxas slash Volkswagon bug body that I have on it. The thing is super fun in the snow.

Yeah, I don't like to jump mine in the snow because I recently put Arrma Mojave wheels and tires on my team associated sc10 4x4 belt driven, and just driving it around I have broken things. The wheels and tires are meant for a 1/7 scale truck and I'm running them on a 1/10 lol. I also am running a Spektrum Firma 85amp ESC and a 3300kv spektrum motor. I usually run it on 3s but I really should start running it on a 2s lipo lol. I had to make my own custom wheel hexes using some Traxxas Revo 3.3 wheel nuts which as we know are the same size as the hex on the wheel. They work pretty well. I also have a Traxxas slash Volkswagon bug body that I have on it. The thing is super fun in the snow.
The belt drive Associated was more meant for racing on nice days or indoors. Just my opinion, but, for winter use, you would be better off with a Traxxas Slash, an HPI Jumpshot SC, a Losi 22S SCT (i ran one hard last winter in 30 degree and below weather, and only thing i broke was a front bulkhead slamming into a pile of ice), or any of the Arrma 3S trucks, however, if you are running in the cold, the Slash and Arrma need better arms. I run mine at a skate park (which means i jump them quite often. I have even been known to jump them off 20 foot snow piles in parking lots) in snow, and, the lower arms, especially the front ones, do not like the cold on either truck. The 22S SCT is a bit more durable in the cold, but, they only make the brushed version now, but, it does have good internals, so making it brushed means only swapping the ESC and motor.

The belt drive Associated was more meant for racing on nice days or indoors. Just my opinion, but, for winter use, you would be better off with a Traxxas Slash, an HPI Jumpshot SC, a Losi 22S SCT (i ran one hard last winter in 30 degree and below weather, and only thing i broke was a front bulkhead slamming into a pile of ice), or any of the Arrma 3S trucks, however, if you are running in the cold, the Slash and Arrma need better arms. I run mine at a skate park (which means i jump them quite often. I have even been known to jump them off 20 foot snow piles in parking lots) in snow, and, the lower arms, especially the front ones, do not like the cold on either truck. The 22S SCT is a bit more durable in the cold, but, they only make the brushed version now, but, it does have good internals, so making it brushed means only swapping the ESC and motor.
I would use a slash or any of the other trucks that you listed but I am only 13 and don't have a job to afford those kinds of things. I have a Revo 3.3 converted to electric, Traxxas stampede 4x4, Traxxas t-Maxx 3.3 converted to electric, ECX ruckus 2wd, ECX ruckus 4x4 1/18, ECX torment 2wd, and a team associated sc10 4x4 belt driven. The thing is, only the team-associated works lol. I also only have one motor combo but hopefully, I will be getting another one for Christmas and my birthday. The combo that I want to get is the castle creations copperhead 10 and for my birthday I want to get a castle creations mamba x combo. I would put the copperhead 10 in my team associated for racing and I would take the motor and ESC that is in the team associate right now and I would put that back in my stampede. I would put the mamba x in my revo. plus, I would need to get more batteries and more receivers because I only have 2 batteries and they are a Lectron Pro 3s and an amazon Hoovo 2s.

I would use a slash or any of the other trucks that you listed but I am only 13 and don't have a job to afford those kinds of things. I have a Revo 3.3 converted to electric, Traxxas stampede 4x4, Traxxas t-Maxx 3.3 converted to electric, ECX ruckus 2wd, ECX ruckus 4x4 1/18, ECX torment 2wd, and a team associated sc10 4x4 belt driven. The thing is, only the team-associated works lol. I also only have one motor combo but hopefully, I will be getting another one for Christmas and my birthday. The combo that I want to get is the castle creations copperhead 10 and for my birthday I want to get a castle creations mamba x combo. I would put the copperhead 10 in my team associated for racing and I would take the motor and ESC that is in the team associate right now and I would put that back in my stampede. I would put the mamba x in my revo. plus, I would need to get more batteries and more receivers because I only have 2 batteries and they are a Lectron Pro 3s and an amazon Hoovo 2s.
The Castle Copperhead 10 you mentioned may be too much for the trucks you have, except for the Revo and T-Maxx possibly. For the others, the Mamba X SCT 3200KV, a Reedy 3300KV or 3500KV combo, or a HobbyWing ESC and 3500KV to 4000KV would be a better choice. Even the Traxxas VXL-3S system, which has a 3500KV motor, would be better in any of those trucks. I'm currently running the VXL-3S in a Slash 4X4, and that truck is wicked fast, even using nimh batteries. Its more about how its geared, than how big or small the motor is. Motor size does play a part, because with the wrong motor, it wont have enough speed or may run too hot, but, in a lot of trial and error, i have found that 3500KV to 4300KV is the sweet spot for 1/10TH off road trucks on 2S and 3S. Of the brushless trucks i currently have, I'm running a Reedy 3300KV combo in my Associated ProSC10, the VXL-3S in the Slash 4X4, and i was running a Castle Mamaba X SCT 3200KV combo in the HPI Jumpshot, but, i went back to the original brushed setup, because the Castle made it nearly uncontrollable. Monster trucks shouldnt have brushless motors, unless you like being upside down a lot. As for the Ruckus and Torment, i personally wouldnt run anything bigger than a 3500KV, and not a very large pinion, unless they have the metal gears in the transmission. I had both of those trucks, and ran them with 4300KV cheap GoolRC motors, and the plastic diffs didnt last one battery. As for a radio, i would add a Fly Sky FS-GT3B to your christmas/birthday list. They are pretty good radios, waterproof receivers are really cheap, compared to other brands, and you can run up to 10 trucks on it (not at the same time though).

The Castle Copperhead 10 you mentioned may be too much for the trucks you have, except for the Revo and T-Maxx possibly. For the others, the Mamba X SCT 3200KV, a Reedy 3300KV or 3500KV combo, or a HobbyWing ESC and 3500KV to 4000KV would be a better choice. Even the Traxxas VXL-3S system, which has a 3500KV motor, would be better in any of those trucks. I'm currently running the VXL-3S in a Slash 4X4, and that truck is wicked fast, even using nimh batteries. Its more about how its geared, than how big or small the motor is. Motor size does play a part, because with the wrong motor, it wont have enough speed or may run too hot, but, in a lot of trial and error, i have found that 3500KV to 4300KV is the sweet spot for 1/10TH off road trucks on 2S and 3S. Of the brushless trucks i currently have, I'm running a Reedy 3300KV combo in my Associated ProSC10, the VXL-3S in the Slash 4X4, and i was running a Castle Mamaba X SCT 3200KV combo in the HPI Jumpshot, but, i went back to the original brushed setup, because the Castle made it nearly uncontrollable. Monster trucks shouldnt have brushless motors, unless you like being upside down a lot. As for the Ruckus and Torment, i personally wouldnt run anything bigger than a 3500KV, and not a very large pinion, unless they have the metal gears in the transmission. I had both of those trucks, and ran them with 4300KV cheap GoolRC motors, and the plastic diffs didnt last one battery. As for a radio, i would add a Fly Sky FS-GT3B to your christmas/birthday list. They are pretty good radios, waterproof receivers are really cheap, compared to other brands, and you can run up to 10 trucks on it (not at the same time though).
Thanks for the advice.

The mamba x is a 6s system and I would run it on 6s. I have been watching lots of videos on Revo's converted to electric and almost everyone has a Mamba X 1515-2200kv system in it and when they run it on 6s it is ballistic. I want to have a ballistic truck that is big. The copperhead 10 has a max weight that it can handle and the Revo weighs 11 pounds and the max rating for the copperhead is 6.5 pounds. On the other hand, the Mamba X can handle 9 pounds on a 4s lipo and 12 pounds on a 6s lipo. By using the Mamba X system it will have cooler motor temps and an overall more reliable system. Also, the copperhead 10 combo is meant for smaller trucks like race buggies and short-course trucks so it wouldn't really work in an 11-pound rig. If the Mamba X is too powerful for the Revo, I will just gear it down or use a 4s lipo instead.