Trying to make sense of Ofna build manual

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnskevin58

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Ok I found out just what MBX I have, it's a Ofna Ultra MBX R2. (I guess the Ultra is the rear pillow balls).
Anyways I downloaded the manual for this car. Everything in manual is exactly the way this car is built "parts wise'.

On page 9, building the front swing arms and suspension it gives you the spacing specs, 3mm for the bottom pillow ball and 3.5mm for the top pillow ball. (See picks) it also tells you to set the ride height grub screw to 3mm, and this makes the lower a-arm level ride height.
(Strange it doesn't tell the gap spacing for the rear pillowballs) but it does for the front.

Stranger, that at the rear of the manual on page 26, it tells you the front camber should be set to "0" and the rear -1 for the rear. With the wheels just before lifting off the table.

It's a drastic difference when adjusting the top pillow ball to get to the zero caster, like 3-5mm difference turning it out to get the hub to be at zero. Why wouldn't they just say 5mm instead of the 3.5mm when building it.

So, should I do as pg 26 says and set the car up as zero "0*" camber front and rear to 1* negative (I know it's just a starting point and more dialing in will be needed) or should I leave it as built? If I leave it as built per building spec the front camber is a drastic 3*ish negative.

I'm rebuilding the car and trying to set it up to factory starting point, so I did zero out the front and dialed in the -1 for the rear. Just boggles my mind why it's built, then re-adjusted when it could have been just built to spec during building.

I wonder why to start out at zero with the ride height set, the lift the car to readjust it. Strange, because if the ride height is set with grub screws, it's not like lifting the wheels off the table will change anything as the arms won't decompress due to the grub screws. Thats pretty much all this 40-page manual says about setting up the car.
DSCN6445.JPG

DSCN6441.JPG
RSCN6443.JPG

they are starting you in @ nuetral.its all up to owner to set it up as the require.your lucky it aint in chi-english

That is a basic set up where you should start at like TNT said ,you start at zero camber ,
then you can run with that ,but all of that changes at the track!..:hehe:

There is a lot more involved in suspension set up ,maybe check out some of JQ's vids for
suspension set up or maybe someone here knows ,but suspension set up depends on track
conditions & your style of driving!..:thumbs-up:

The R2 has rear pillow balls, The regular Ultra MBX just has a rear hub. Just FYSA
Capture.JPG

The R2 has rear pillow balls, The regular Ultra MBX just has a rear hub. Just FYSA
View attachment 154762
That is a basic set up where you should start at like TNT said ,you start at zero camber ,
then you can run with that ,but all of that changes at the track!..:hehe:

There is a lot more involved in suspension set up ,maybe check out some of JQ's vids for
suspension set up or maybe someone here knows ,but suspension set up depends on track
conditions & your style of driving!..:thumbs-up:
I didn't say I needed any help. And yes, I mentioned it was a factory starting point, yes, I understand it is a "starting point" as I wanted to erase everything the previous owners had done to the buggy considering it was used, not much but still used. And I know it will need to be dialed in for my particular driving style, which I am quite capable of dialing it in and do not need to watch videos.
This style of reply is getting kinda old...I didn't think I had to tell everyone I have 40 plus years in RC Hobby Cars, Trucks, Nitro, and Boats every time I post a thread, and that I am not stupid or a newbi teenager.

Did you ever think someone might have simply been trying to start a thread and not really looking for any help but start a thread about the actual manual.

My post was about the idiotic instruction manual. I don't know why people think everyone is stupid.
they are starting you in @ nuetral.its all up to owner to set it up as the require.your lucky it aint in chi-english
I understand that my point about this, is, if they want it in neutrals then why don't they have you build the car with the correct specs to achieve the neutrals.
because the 3.5mm top and 3mm bottom doesn't give you the 0* "neutral" they want. (Get what I'm saying) that's what my post is about.
Like why they don't just give you the correct mm to give the car the zero degree in the first place.

My post has nothing to do with setting the car up, it's about the backwards manual. LOL
View attachment 154762
Yes I mentioned that the difference with the Ultra R2 MBX is the rear pillow balls (Of course I didn't think I needed to mention that I was talking about the R2 MBX vs The Ultra R2 MBX only as I designated the R2 line of the MBX chassis. (The MBX R2 doesn't have rear pillow balls either, just the Ultra R2) in the R2 line. They are many MBX's, I am talking about the R2 MBX platform. I think I even put a pic of the manual showing the rear Pillow Ball.
You know what Greywolf, why don't you just leave me alone from here on out. You seem to think everyone is stupid or something. Makes me wonder what you really know.
FYI there is also a regular R2 MBX (No rear pillow balls) that is different from the Ultra MBX and it does not have rear pillow balls, I have the Ultra R2 MBX with the rear pillow balls "Just saying"

I read every manual on the MBX line last night from manualsdls. Every freaking one of them to find out what car I have and thus learned the many differences. But I figured talking with men/woman I didn't have to give my life history. I'm tired of you thinking I don't know what I am doing.

Please just leave me alone I am tired of your replies.

Last edited:
@burnskevin58 go easy on the guys, they were just trying to be helpful. I get that you weren't asking for help, but we get a lot of folks who are, and it just kind of becomes habbit. It's sometimes easy to misinterpret somebodies intentions when reading posts.

I agree with you on the manual, I can't think of a reason for them to have you assemble it one way and then change the settings. 🤔

My manuals are full of pen and pencil entries, line throughs and personal notes. Almost like a diary of mods, changes and setups. Usually, when coming across what doesn't make sense or contradicts another entry, I cross reference the two manual pages. Then shrug it off as something lost in the translation or a simple proofreading or editing error.

One of my current projects is transitioning to a next gen build. With it, I'm creating my own R43X operator's manual, complete with images. Just because it is so easy. :eek:

'AC'

I didn't say I needed any help. And yes, I mentioned it was a factory starting point, yes, I understand it is a "starting point" as I wanted to erase everything the previous owners had done to the buggy considering it was used, not much but still used. And I know it will need to be dialed in for my particular driving style, which I am quite capable of dialing it in and do not need to watch videos.
This style of reply is getting kinda old...I didn't think I had to tell everyone I have 40 plus years in RC Hobby Cars, Trucks, Nitro, and Boats every time I post a thread, and that I am not stupid or a newbi teenager.

Did you ever think someone might have simply been trying to start a thread and not really looking for any help but start a thread about the actual manual.

My post was about the idiotic instruction manual. I don't know why people think everyone is stupid.

I understand that my point about this, is, if they want it in neutrals then why don't they have you build the car with the correct specs to achieve the neutrals.
because the 3.5mm top and 3mm bottom doesn't give you the 0* "neutral" they want. (Get what I'm saying) that's what my post is about.
Like why they don't just give you the correct mm to give the car the zero degree in the first place.

My post has nothing to do with setting the car up, it's about the backwards manual. LOL

Yes I mentioned that the difference with the Ultra R2 MBX is the rear pillow balls (Of course I didn't think I needed to mention that I was talking about the R2 MBX vs The Ultra R2 MBX only as I designated the R2 line of the MBX chassis. (The MBX R2 doesn't have rear pillow balls either, just the Ultra R2) in the R2 line. They are many MBX's, I am talking about the R2 MBX platform. I think I even put a pic of the manual showing the rear Pillow Ball.
You know what Greywolf, why don't you just leave me alone from here on out. You seem to think everyone is stupid or something. Makes me wonder what you really know.
FYI there is also a regular R2 MBX (No rear pillow balls) that is different from the Ultra MBX and it does not have rear pillow balls, I have the Ultra R2 MBX with the rear pillow balls "Just saying"

I read every manual on the MBX line last night from manualsdls. Every freaking one of them to find out what car I have and thus learned the many differences. But I figured talking with men/woman I didn't have to give my life history. I'm tired of you thinking I don't know what I am doing.

Please just leave me alone I am tired of your replies.
Man, IDK why you keep getting defensive about people trying to help you or give you pieces of information. It doesn't mean we dont think you know what you're doing. Even an old dog can learn new tricks. You dont have to keep telling everyone youve been in the hobby for 40+ years, I'm pretty sure everyone on the forum knows that by now. Its obvious youve been working with nitro for many years and its nice to have another nitro person on the forum that knows a lot about nitro beside Baker. As for what I know, you can doubt that all you want but I'm pretty sure there isnt one person on this forum that would say I havent helped a ton of people on here with what I have learned, especially with LiPos and electrics in general.

You made the statement "(I guess the Ultra is the rear pillow balls)." I thought that was cool cuz I didnt know that any of the OFNA models had rear pillow balls but the "Ultra" isnt the reason it has rear pillow balls. The regular Ultra MBX doesn't have pillow balls so I thought Id point that out just for your own knowledge and even if you dont care there might be others reading this thread at some point who would care. So just take the knowledge in the spirit in which it was intended. So now youve said that the regular MBX R2 doesn't have rear PBs either. Thats awesome to know! So the MBX R2 doesn't have them and the regular Ultra MBX, only the Ultra MBX R2 has them. See we both learned something and this is what the forum is for, Learning

I'm not a suspension guy ,I eyeball my camber ,ride height & toe sense I only bash around in a field or do
a couple rips out in the street ,I've hung around people that race as they change that stuff for the track
conditions!
But I do know that once you change one thing it upsets the other an in most cases ,you have to readjust
the whole set up!
That being said ,I probably had it coming because I didnt pay attention to the ?'s ,so there for I will no
longer say more ,other than it was my bad!..:hehe::cheers:

Back