Hello, new to the forum and looking for a big boy setup.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoastGarage

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone new to drag slash world,I currently have a traxxas drag slash (hasnt touched the road) Local guys are hitting 1.6/1.7 ets on rubber tires. Looking to achieve that, what’s the best setup to go with. Willing to buy everything from chassis to body. What do you recommend? Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple guys here that can help you. There are also lots of YT vids of builds and such. @Greywolf has done a little research into building one, and can probably point you towards some sick chassis and electronics. Dragrace Concepts has some cool drag stuff. Tekin has some killer motors from 2t to 4.5t for drag racing applications. Maclan Racing has some great ESC's with all the bells and whistles.

Welcome in @EastCoastGarage
I'm not into drag racing so I won't be any help. I can however tell you that Tekin is awesome electronics.

If you are willing to buy everything, including a chassis, you might as well build a car from the ground up, instead of starting with the Slash. Maybe that is what you are planning, but to make a Slash really competitive, you're going to replace nearly everything on it anyway.

I agree with @WickedFog 100%!!! If you want to be competitive with those numbers, it’s going to cost some BIG$$$!!! And honestly to save some time and money, building a ground up car is the way to go. Some of the top chassis’s out there are the R1 DC1, GFRP Apollo, Chandler Precision Bullet, Five Seven Designs (all of them), Royalty Ace of Spades, DRC Maxim, etc. just to name a few. Your looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$800 just for a chassis kit.

Electronics wise, it really depends on what motor you want to run, wether it be 2 pole or 4 pole. As of this moment, the R1 Wurks Digital-3 ESC is the top dog. But there’s word going around that there’s about to be a couple different ESC’S that will have the potential of knocking it off it’s throne!!! That ESC and the required WiFi module combined, will run you right at $300. Other competitors are the Castle Creations MMX6S or 8S(but you’re better off to go with the 6S), Tekin RX8, DRK-160, Hobbywing XR10PRO Legacy or G2S, just to name a few. There’s A LOT of fast guys running ESC’S other than the R1.

Then there’s the transmitter side of it all. For the tuning functions alone, the Sanwa M17 is where it’s at!!! Although it will run you $700-$800, it is well worth the investment if you plan on being a serious contender! I actually run the FlySky Noble NB4 currently!!! Although it’s only $250-$300, it does a good job, and has a lot of tuning functions that other radios don’t. Also, the Spektrum DX5R or DX5Pro can be upgraded with their new firmware, that allows the radio to have stage launch control! If I were just getting into it and knew I was going to be serious about it, I’d probably start with the Spektrum. Either that, or the FlySky NB4 Pro. The Pro is $500 but has features that the Noble doesn’t. But at that point, you spend $200 more and get the top dog out of all of them.

Then you get into the cost of wheels, tires, spare parts that you WILL NEED because you’re going to break stuff!!! As you can see, the cost of going fast adds up quickly. There’s a lot of people running pretty fast times on a lot more basic (factory) setups, or slightly modified kits. But in order to be where the other guys are running, time wise, it is going to cost you! You gotta pay to play!!!

This is all just a personal opinion from having been where you’re at, and trying to modify an already built factory car. If you know you’re going to go Outlaw with the build, there’s no other way to go, than with a good chassis kit! Mid-motor is where it’s at, although there are a lot of fast rear motor cars, and they’ll go down roads mid motor cars won’t (most of the time). And you can’t beat the raw power of the new 4pole drag motors. The Castle 1412 6400kv is the OG of the 4poles, and is an extremely fast motor. But the new R1, Trinity Double Down, Tekin Pro4-Hd 6500kv, and the Maclan 6600kv drag motors are also all contenders. They’re anywhere between $125-$200 depending on where you buy from.

As far as batteries go, don’t get anything under a 200C (400C burst) rating. Trinity, Maxamps, Knuckle Up, R1, Zombie are just a few great ones I can think of at the moment. You don’t have to have the largest capacity battery either! Some of the fastest guys are running under a 10Kmah pack. But your data logs will tell you what you need, and if you need more! (Along with other changes you may need to make too, just always watch your ripple voltage)

I could go on for days about chassis setup, weight bias, etc. But as long as you start off with a solid foundation, you will always be better off!!! I hope all my rambling helps you, or someone else that my be wondering “what should I do?” And if anyone disagrees with anything I’ve said, or has anything to add, then please chime in!!! I’m by no means an expert, but I’m happy to share what knowledge I do have!!!

Back