First RC boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundogblue

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m familiar with RC cars and planes, but I’ve never owned an RC boat. I like kits, and this winter will be here before we know it. So I’m lookin for a winter project, I’d like to build a wooden RC tugboat. I’ve been eyein up the Dumas Jenny Lee, along with the their runnin hardware, motor and esc, I have serveral receivers and a 6 channel FlySky radio that I think will work with it. As I said This will be my first RC boat, I know they make kits with plastic hulls that glue together, they seem to me like an easier build, but I’d really like an all wood boat, is the Jenny Lee a good choice or are there others that would also be good for a first timer? Also any tips you can give a first time boat builder?
Thanks Much,
Paul

I have zero experience with RC boats so I couldn't offer any advise but I will say, I am looking forward to your build.
We would love to see some pics of your progress.

Hi all,
I’m familiar with RC cars and planes, but I’ve never owned an RC boat. I like kits, and this winter will be here before we know it. So I’m lookin for a winter project, I’d like to build a wooden RC tugboat. I’ve been eyein up the Dumas Jenny Lee, along with the their runnin hardware, motor and esc, I have serveral receivers and a 6 channel FlySky radio that I think will work with it. As I said This will be my first RC boat, I know they make kits with plastic hulls that glue together, they seem to me like an easier build, but I’d really like an all wood boat, is the Jenny Lee a good choice or are there others that would also be good for a first timer? Also any tips you can give a first time boat builder?
Thanks Much,
Paul
You can probably find blue prints for one. I have been doing lots of research on scratch build hydroplanes. Dumas from what I have read are decent kits but only as good as the builder. I was eyeing up their Miss Circus Circus, very hard to find and the ones I did cost an arm and a leg.