Hobao Hyper MT sports plus nitro questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason180

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Morning RC experts!

I have a quick question for everyone and maybe somebody can shed some light on my issue recently purchased a Hobao Hyper MT sport plus nitro truck with the Hyper 30 engine.

This is my first truck I've ran buggies my whole life growing up overall out of the box I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this truck for the price.

So I set everything up out of the box to get ready to do the break-in procedure which is three tanks idle two tanks low speed before you can start leaning it out filled it up with fuel installed the supplied Hobao T5 medium turbo glow plug. It ired right up no issues , had to adjust the idle a bit as it was set too high out of the factory. About 30 seconds in of the first break in tank I go to check the temps everything was okay but I noticed there was fuel leaking around the turbo plug made sure it wasn't the head itself it was clearly leaking around the turbo plug when I installed it I snugged it up and made sure I didn't over tighten. So I removed the plug inspected everything to make sure everything looked good clean the mating surfaces of the glow plug and the head with Nitro fuel reinstalled the plug I snug that up backed it off snugged it up again maybe that would help make the two surfaces fired it back up same thing again I tried to tighten it a little bit more making sure I don't over tighten same thing try two different turbo plugs again same thing does anybody have an idea if I'm doing something wrong or possibly just a bad turbo head out of the box? Any help would be much appreciated!! Posted a picture also of the leaking plug.

20220828_191003.jpg

Do the turbo require a copper washer or not?
No not with a turbo plug. The tapered end of the glow plug mates with the turbo plug burn room making it not require a copper washer like the standard plug burn rooms. All I can think of is I have a defective turbo button on this brand-new RTR kit. But wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

No not with a turbo plug. The tapered end of the glow plug mates with the turbo plug burn room making it not require a copper washer like the standard plug burn rooms. All I can think of is I have a defective turbo button on this brand-new RTR kit. But wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

I guess you could try tightening it a bit more, but be careful those are easy to strip.
You answered your own question, if with a different plug, problem remains, you have a bad turbo button.

Awesome thanks! I was hoping I would be wrong and maybe just having a moment and doing something wrong. Only me to have a bad turbo button right out of the box on this RTR kit. I did speak with a good dude that works for Hobao USA out of Texas and felt really bad with the problem I've been having and is addressing it pretty fast. So so far their customer service has been top notch!

Morning RC experts!

I have a quick question for everyone and maybe somebody can shed some light on my issue recently purchased a Hobao Hyper MT sport plus nitro truck with the Hyper 30 engine.

This is my first truck I've ran buggies my whole life growing up overall out of the box I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this truck for the price.

So I set everything up out of the box to get ready to do the break-in procedure which is three tanks idle two tanks low speed before you can start leaning it out filled it up with fuel installed the supplied Hobao T5 medium turbo glow plug. It ired right up no issues , had to adjust the idle a bit as it was set too high out of the factory. About 30 seconds in of the first break in tank I go to check the temps everything was okay but I noticed there was fuel leaking around the turbo plug made sure it wasn't the head itself it was clearly leaking around the turbo plug when I installed it I snugged it up and made sure I didn't over tighten. So I removed the plug inspected everything to make sure everything looked good clean the mating surfaces of the glow plug and the head with Nitro fuel reinstalled the plug I snug that up backed it off snugged it up again maybe that would help make the two surfaces fired it back up same thing again I tried to tighten it a little bit more making sure I don't over tighten same thing try two different turbo plugs again same thing does anybody have an idea if I'm doing something wrong or possibly just a bad turbo head out of the box? Any help would be much appreciated!! Posted a picture also of the leaking plug.

View attachment 151378
Did you ever get this engine tuned right and what climate are you on cheers