Recomended esc upgrades for the Traxxas Maxx V2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjdp01

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My Maxx has now burned out two ESC's and I'm not excited to get another stock one. Something about the way I run it seems to be too hard on it so I'm not expecting to change my driving style. I'm new to these components. I have a spare motor that came with my second ESC (from eBay). That all worked fine for months. So i have two traxxas motors and would prefer not to have to get another motor but I can if its makes the system more reliable. I read in another thread to look into the "castle mamba X" or something from Hobbywing. Do I need to do anything to adapt that those to the car? do those work with the stock Traxxas motor? Are they any better? Somebody else recommended upgrading to a Traxxas 6S ESC but I have no idea if thats a good idea or even possible. They were not familiar with the part, they just figured "go bigger". I don't mind spending a little more for reliability. Can I just get the "castle mamba X" or some Hobbywing esc and swap it in? Thanks!

My Maxx has now burned out two ESC's and I'm not excited to get another stock one. Something about the way I run it seems to be too hard on it so I'm not expecting to change my driving style. I'm new to these components. I have a spare motor that came with my second ESC (from eBay). That all worked fine for months. So i have two traxxas motors and would prefer not to have to get another motor but I can if its makes the system more reliable. I read in another thread to look into the "castle mamba X" or something from Hobbywing. Do I need to do anything to adapt that those to the car? do those work with the stock Traxxas motor? Are they any better? Somebody else recommended upgrading to a Traxxas 6S ESC but I have no idea if thats a good idea or even possible. They were not familiar with the part, they just figured "go bigger". I don't mind spending a little more for reliability. Can I just get the "castle mamba X" or some Hobbywing esc and swap it in? Thanks!
I had a Mamba X in my V1 and it melted.

I replaced it with a Spektrum firma 150 amp and it’s been running good, but you do need adapters for the motor wires.
Spektrum 150a are $85 on Jenny’s RC.

Those kontronik ESC's seem a little pricey. Do you have any experience with them tntpoof?

i bought a xmaxx and within 3 runs my VXL 8s fried,. i toyed with getting another but went with a castle mamba monster x 8s and havent looked back since stock motor plugged right in and I've been bashing since no issues,. although i am very cautious of motor and esc temps so i check constantly,. lol hope that helps

Thanks for the responses! With those other ESCs you guys have mentioned earlier can you still find a way to run onboard lights? I have the traxxas light kit but it plugs into an aux port on the ESC. I’m not seeing that on the castle mamba. Is there some power distributor I have to use between the battery and the mamba or any other models of ESC? Or do i have to nix the lights ?

yes I have 3 of them. i run them in my speed rigs

Thanks for the responses! With those other ESCs you guys have mentioned earlier can you still find a way to run onboard lights? I have the traxxas light kit but it plugs into an aux port on the ESC. I’m not seeing that on the castle mamba. Is there some power distributor I have to use between the battery and the mamba or any other models of ESC? Or do i have to nix the lights ?
Forget those Kontronics ESC. Those are complete overkill for your kit. They dont even operate on anything less than 5S. Get a Castle Mamba Monster 2 and dont look back.

As for the lights, you can always plug them in to the receivers 3rd channel or even the VCC channel although channel 3 you'll be able to turn them on and off. If you're using the stock transmitter and its only 2 channel then youd need to upgrade to something like a Flysky GT3b radio and receiver for $45