Can you reuse rounded wheels and hexes pt1

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have 2 and a half sets of rounded tires and hexes I want to reuse them check out part 1 this series isn’t going to be every week upload every 2 weeks another part will come out

Love the camera falling over 😂🤣🤪

Pretty smart thinking for a fix. But your wheel nut won't fit on there now. If you use countersunk flat head screws, you'd be ok with this fix.

If your wheels and hexes are rounded, a quick fix would be to use epoxy to glue the nut into the wheel. But I would just replace everything instead. One thing I do before each run is check the wheel nuts, which will help prevent you stripping your hexes.

Pretty smart thinking for a fix. But your wheel nut won't fit on there now. If you use countersunk flat head screws, you'd be ok with this fix.

If your wheels and hexes are rounded, a quick fix would be to use epoxy to glue the nut into the wheel. But I would just replace everything instead. One thing I do before each run is check the wheel nuts, which will help prevent you stripping your hexes.
Thanks the camera falling over was totally on purpose 😂 and I feel like glue would work with a brushed motor but brushless they would be dead I just had this idea thought it would make for a interesting videos

yeah personally like Fog said I would just use some epoxy/JB weld to make the hex part of the wheel.. .. Not a perfect fix but it should get you through that set of tires if you prep the surfaces correctly for the epoxy.. like dremmel some flats where the hex was rounded.. and give the epoxy some texture to bite to in the hex socket of the wheel.. Bolting it together to cure so everything is square and true.. Just wanted to add that personally I stripped less wheels back when things were just pin drive in the wheel. It always boggled my mind why the change to a design where there are possibly 2 points of slop (pin to the hex, hex to the wheel) instead of just staying with a single point of interface.. sure you lost the pin occasionally when changing wheels but that still happens if the hex sticks in the wheel when you remove it..

Last edited:
One method: How to Fix a Stripped-Out Wheel Hex
1659297001717.png

One of my old nemeses... wheel nuts not holding. I check my nuts 😆 every single stinkin' time I take my RCs out to play. Nylon locking, serrated, flanged wheel nuts... they all wear out. I have used a blue threadlocker for the past ten years to combat the issue. Since using threadlocker on my wheel nuts, I rarely have any issues. As long as the wheel is of nylon type, they should be good to go. If racing, I'd use fresh locking/serrated wheel nuts if no time to let threadlocker dry.

One of my old nemeses... wheel nuts not holding. I check my nuts 😆 every single stinkin' time I take my RCs out to play. Nylon locking, serrated, flanged wheel nuts... they all wear out. I have used a blue threadlocker for the past ten years to combat the issue. Since using threadlocker on my wheel nuts, I rarely have any issues. As long as the wheel is of nylon type, they should be good to go. If racing, I'd use fresh locking/serrated wheel nuts if no time to let threadlocker dry.
Whenever I have had a buggy that liked to shred the rear wheels, I would loosen the slipper slightly. It sometimes fixes the problem. High traction surfaces like grass or sticky pavement will often put a lot of stress on the wheels, so the slipper is there to balance the load. You might play with that and see if it helps.

Never used to have this problem back when they had the pin groove molded right into the wheels 😜

Instead of a hex, they should use squares, or go back to pinned wheels. No idea why they ever started doing the hexes anyway. I assume so people would have to buy more wheels.

Funny you say that because the printed wheels I run on my drag car are PIN DRIVE .. Handling 4.5t power and havent stripped the pin socket YET..

Funny you say that because the printed wheels I run on my drag car are PIN DRIVE .. Handling 4.5t power and havent stripped the pin socket YET..
Yeah, I have ran tons of vintage buggies in my day. The old RC10's, Kyosho's, etc. I don't recal ever stripping a pinned wheel.

Never used to have this problem back when they had the pin groove molded right into the wheels 😜

Instead of a hex, they should use squares, or go back to pinned wheels. No idea why they ever started doing the hexes anyway. I assume so people would have to buy more wheels.
Surface area of a hex. With the advent of better motors, and batteries, we needed better wheels to handle more stress for longer periods of time.

But I do have to mention the earliest 12mm hex wheels that I used came on my 1986 Kyosho Optima... they (Kyosho) were onto something ;).

Back