Scx24 build. Building from ground up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marconitro

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys its me again lol. I'm building a scx24 from the ground up. I'm starting with just the chassis. I'm on a budget so that's why. What part should I get next?
20220726_092450.jpg

Since you're on a budget, you should know that it's much, much cheaper to just buy an rtr SCX24. Unless you already have most of the parts/components already.

Since you're on a budget, you should know that it's much, much cheaper to just buy an rtr SCX24. Unless you already have most of the parts/components already.

If a stock one is what you’re after. If it’s going to be heavily modified, buy one used that someone has lost interest in. Often “neglected” ones can be had for ~25% of new and usually have low run time just a lot of dust and dirt from sitting and lazy seller. If you’re going to change most of the components anyway…

Axles alone for the SCX24, even the stock ones, are gonna set ya back over $50. I don't see building one as a budget friendly option at all. You're not going to find a radio/receiver for less than $50 either. As stated, you are much better off buying a new one. Or, if you can find a roller cheap on ebay, but even they go for too much money to justify buying one.

If you are building for the enjoyment I would say axles next. If your looking to save money, I'd agree with the others, it's cheaper to buy a complete rig. Either way, have fun and enjoy! :)

I get the whole being on a budget thing. We're building an Xmaxx very slowly, part by part. It will cost a few hundred more than buying it RTR, but I can't afford to buy one all at once. Something slways pops up that requires any money I have saved.

But the SCX24 is one of those where the parts are fairly overpriced.

If your plan is to go with aftermarket stuff, that changes things. So are you wanting to build a stock one? Or mostly aftermarket?

Just as an example, a guy I know built one with all Treal components, and has well over $500 wrapped up in just parts.

As everybody mentioned, budget builds just don't exist. As far as building for fun and keeping it a cheap as possible then I would just buy a part at a time every now and then.
I would buy the motor and esc next but that can cost some serious bucks. Ask me how I know...:D

Hey Marco, looks like a fun project.

My builds from the ground up generally follow a pattern of three phases: slider - roller - runner.

Allows for a narrower focus on budget and planning.

With that in mind, my first purchase would be any part that will contribute to the slider phase. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

I get the whole being on a budget thing. We're building an Xmaxx very slowly, part by part. It will cost a few hundred more than buying it RTR, but I can't afford to buy one all at once. Something slways pops up that requires any money I have saved.

But the SCX24 is one of those where the parts are fairly overpriced.

If your plan is to go with aftermarket stuff, that changes things. So are you wanting to build a stock one? Or mostly aftermarket?

Just as an example, a guy I know built one with all Treal components, and has well over $500 wrapped up in just parts.
Jenny’s helps the cost a little with a xmaxx, right ?

Hey guys its me again lol. I'm building a scx24 from the ground up. I'm starting with just the chassis. I'm on a budget so that's why. What part should I get next?View attachment 149584
I recommend paying the little extra for a better battery and motor. You will notice a difference. Since you are building it from the ground up, I recommend buying the long travel INJORA suspention and high clearance suspension links. I run the rc4wd wrangler tires with INJORA rims