RedCat XTE Blackout full throttle without being on

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mxracer629

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here. I just recently purchased an XTE Blackout. Already went with a LIPO 2s 7.4V 5000Mah upgrade from the stock NIMH 7.2V 3000Mah. Ran fine for a while, today it overheated and started smoking. Turned everything off and let it cool. Took it apart and took pictures of how wires were connected to the servo. Hooked it all back up and now the car accelerates full throttle as soon as I plug the battery in, with the car being in the ON or OFF position. It doesn't matter. Never ran into this before. Also tried to check continuity with the switch being ON/OFF and nothing would register. Any suggestions?

Did you put it on lipo mode or is it still on nimh mode?
Is your remote broken and stuck in full throttle?
Can you upload some pictures I might be able to figure out your problem

Did you put it on lipo mode or is it still on nimh mode?
Is your remote broken and stuck in full throttle?
Can you upload some pictures I might be able to figure out your problem
Yes I will, upload pics when I get home from work today. I have switched it to LIPO mode, I made sure of it. This is the 3rd time I've ran a battery through it on LiPO batteries. To my knowledge the remote is not broken. Also the remote is not on when it does this. Everything is off and go to plug the battery in and it just goes full tilt.

20220501_203159.jpg

This is the picture I took before I took it apart last night.
I'll get more tonight, and better in focus. Lighting was terrible last night.
The, whole car without body, motor, esc, reciver and radio
I forgot to reply with a pic. I think I got it now

If it runs in the off position you might have melted a wire or two. Check everything, ESC and the on/off switch, to check that the wiring is still intact.

If it runs in the off position you might have melted a wire or two. Check everything, ESC and the on/off switch, to check that the wiring is still intact.
The on/off switch appears to be double sided sticky taped on. Nothing seems to appear melted from what I can see externally.
Here is a video on it

Attachments

• 20220502_170301.jpg
    20220502_170301.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220502_170454.jpg
    20220502_170454.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220502_170326.jpg
    20220502_170326.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 43
Currently I am stuck without a bind plug. Never had to bind it out of the box and I kept everything from the box but I don't see a bind plug.

A bind plug is simply a jumper from the signal pin to the ground pin. You could simulate the same thing with a paper clip.
Are you sure the esc isn't turning on as soon as you plug the battery in?
I know this is late advice, but its important to watch the motor and esc temps while your playing to make sure they don't overheat. Get a cheap laser temp reader (https://www.amazon.com/General-Tool...646&sprefix=temp+reader+rc+car,aps,153&sr=8-3) and just check motor and esc every 10 min or so to see where your at. I try to keep motor temps below 160 max and esc lower than that, maybe 120. If its getting hot enough to smoke, thats way beyond those temps and you might need to gear down a bit to get it to run cooler.
If your switch isn't shorted and the wires coming out of the esc aren't melted, then you've likely damaged the esc.

A bind plug is simply a jumper from the signal pin to the ground pin. You could simulate the same thing with a paper clip.
Are you sure the esc isn't turning on as soon as you plug the battery in?
I know this is late advice, but its important to watch the motor and esc temps while your playing to make sure they don't overheat. Get a cheap laser temp reader (https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-IRT3-Thermometer-Detector/dp/B01LWLE8QJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SI86BU4RN707&keywords=temp+reader+rc+car&qid=1651530646&sprefix=temp+reader+rc+car,aps,153&sr=8-3) and just check motor and esc every 10 min or so to see where your at. I try to keep motor temps below 160 max and esc lower than that, maybe 120. If its getting hot enough to smoke, thats way beyond those temps and you might need to gear down a bit to get it to run cooler.
If your switch isn't shorted and the wires coming out of the esc aren't melted, then you've likely damaged the esc.
All I know for sure is that the switch to my remote and the switch to the car are off and as soon as I plug my battery in it goes. I tried to turn the controller and the car on after it had already went full tilt but nothing can control it other than disconnecting the battery.

Do any lights come on when you plug in the battery? On the esc that is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-190601_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-190601_Video Player.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220502-190453_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-190453_Gallery.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 30
Then I would first try re binding the reciever. WOT is usually default when the transmitter isn't connected.

Then I would first try re binding the reciever. WOT is usually default when the transmitter isn't connected.
Which pin is the signal pin and which is the ground pin on the bind area if I was to jump it with a paperclip?

Back