Total Newbie question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure it is like the GM, Ford, Dodge folks, some swear by em the rest swear at em. Of course GM is the best, you just can teach those other poor souls anything.
One discussion i will never get into is vehicles. I prefer older Dodge's (I purposely drive a beater 99 Durango, because i can't stand dealing with the newer engines, that is actually part of a deal that fell through, so i just kept the Durango), and Subaru, one of my brother's is everything Chevy (including our 1:1 race cars), and another is everything Ford, and my little brother is everything Nissan, and one of my sister's is everything Jeep.

I am sure it is like the GM, Ford, Dodge folks, some swear by em the rest swear at em. Of course GM is the best, you just can teach those other poor souls anything.
Only little boys wear bowties 🤣

Getting back into this after decades out of it is unbelievable. Everything has changed soooo much. The electronics especially, this should come as no surprise to me since much of my career was spent in Hi-Rel electronics (micro electronics at that), but to see it in RC is cool. I have alot to catch up on.

I did get a kit, I changed my mind and went with the TLR 22X4 and have the car built. Now I need to add the electronics. I have been watching all kinds of videos and to watch the way some people solder is scary. I don't mean to start a forum war but there is a correct way to solder and a whole bunch of wrong ways, and to see the quality of some of the joints produced on small scale electronics is criminal.

Getting back into this after decades out of it is unbelievable. Everything has changed soooo much. The electronics especially, this should come as no surprise to me since much of my career was spent in Hi-Rel electronics (micro electronics at that), but to see it in RC is cool. I have alot to catch up on.

I did get a kit, I changed my mind and went with the TLR 22X4 and have the car built. Now I need to add the electronics. I have been watching all kinds of videos and to watch the way some people solder is scary. I don't mean to start a forum war but there is a correct way to solder and a whole bunch of wrong ways, and to see the quality of some of the joints produced on small scale electronics is criminal.
I am terrible at soldering, but fortunately my solder joints seem to work. I can never seem to get both parts to heat up at the same time, and I often fear I am holding the heat on too long. Usually the wire is burning my fingers before I can get a good solder joint. So any tips would be helpful.

Too much heat is a common problem. Always start with a clean tip then add a small amount of solder to the tip, then apply the tip to the joint, the molten solder on the tip will heat both parts simultaneously and a quick joint will be created. Both parts should be pre tinned first, meaning a small amount of solder should already have been applied to both parts.

Over heating a joint can be catastrophic to a joint or part, you can actually damage lets say an ESC for example.

Make sure both parts are pre-tinned the the completion of the joint should be very quick and won't overheat the parts.

Too much heat is a common problem. Always start with a clean tip then add a small amount of solder to the tip, then apply the tip to the joint, the molten solder on the tip will heat both parts simultaneously and a quick joint will be created. Both parts should be pre tinned first, meaning a small amount of solder should already have been applied to both parts.

Over heating a joint can be catastrophic to a joint or part, you can actually damage lets say an ESC for example.

Make sure both parts are pre-tinned the the completion of the joint should be very quick and won't overheat the parts.
Yup, I do all that. Still have difficulty. Maybe I am just old and clumsy.

Are the Transponders simply called that? I am talking about the little things you have to put into the cars to count laps. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a source. I believe that is the only thing I am missing.

they are called transponders but there are a few different type. make sure you get the right one . amb is most common . thats a amb type..model # will also vary. just some fyi make sure the turn radius is same both right and left thru steering endpoints. do the ole in a clear space turn tight at half way point put down a piece of tape on surface do the same on left hand turn that will make it easier to run a track learn the fast lines.

I am terrible at soldering, but fortunately my solder joints seem to work. I can never seem to get both parts to heat up at the same time, and I often fear I am holding the heat on too long. Usually the wire is burning my fingers before I can get a good solder joint. So any tips would be helpful.
Kevin, I use a Kevlar Bar-B-Que glove to hold the wire steady when making a solder joint. Keeps the finger and thumb from getting toasted.

Just last week finally bought a soldering tool as a steady for holding wire in place. Doing more 12ga work now and trying to hold the wire steady until the joint sets is a non-starter.

Raz SHIFRIN has a 6-Episode + Finale YT series, "Speed Secrets Revealed". Check out Episode 2. He lays out a simple to understand primer on getting good solder joints.

Good luck. DaveNY is getting some good info on this thread. You guys are getting him tracking A.O.K. Cheers. 'AC'

Are the Transponders simply called that? I am talking about the little things you have to put into the cars to count laps. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a source. I believe that is the only thing I am missing.
Around here, most if not all of the tracks use MyLaps, which is what @Dave NY would need.

Back