Opinions on upgrades for the TRX-4 build kit.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tunedpipe so basically just run it with the shock bodies? Is what your saying correct.. I was lookinhbatvthe RC4WD site the other day got lots of nice stuff. I believe they ship out of jersey as well.
@Kimmie28
Everyone says the same the screws are a pain in the as*Traxxas electronics are their one down fall IMHO. I've never like them at all. Even since 99 ,2000. When I got my first Tmaxx the electronics have been poop.. i love me savox servos.. Will definitely switch out to savox for sure.. once or before the traxxas burn out which shouldn't be long...
@Doom!
I was looking at the injoa wheels and tires they also got some really nice wet uos
I run stock bodies but I did trim the C10 a little bit because tire rub.
RRP Hobby has lots of parts for the 24s.

@Tunedpipe so basically just run it with the shock bodies? Is what your saying correct.. I was lookinhbatvthe RC4WD site the other day got lots of nice stuff. I believe they ship out of jersey as well.
I think you're referring to me. Yes, run the shocks without the springs. I haven't tried it yet, but @Pat_ranch fills the body with heavy grease, and then install them upside down.
@Kimmie28
Everyone says the same the screws are a pain in the as*
You can be lazy like me, and just don't bother installing those tiny decorative screws :p The only thing to remember with these no name brands is that their screws tends to be a bit more fragile, so use Loktite and just tighten enough to be snugged.

@STONER RC Agree with @Kimmie28 The screws in the beadlocks can be intimidating, but arent really that bad to do, just take your time and line up the front and back holes of the rim as close as you can, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Injora makes some really nice rims at a decent price. I pick mine up on Amazon but they do have their own website but their service is slower.

EDIT**** I forgot to mention, pay attention to the wheel size, there are lots of options. 1/10 crawlers are typically 1.9 and SCX24 are typically 1.0. It's easy to forget to pay attention to that when browsing.
Oh sh*t that is good information thank you sir. And something that would definitely be over looked threw the cloudiness of the shop 😉😁🤣🤣🤣

I run stock bodies but I did trim the C10 a little bit because tire rub.
RRP Hobby has lots of parts for the 24s.
Yeah everyone one says the C10 body doesn't even like the stock tires it comes with. I like like style of that classic body for the truck for sure.. 👍

I guess it's back to marching up and down the square for me. :cry:
There's no punishment dished out here we just make you wash all the rigs after a muddy crawling session with a tooth brush. 😉🤣🤣🤣🤣
Much better bud.. Thank you 👍👍
Just be aware that lowering the shocks to the frame will raise the ride height of the vehicle, which raises the center of gravity.
Are the stock shock just crap because i will just get different shocks. Seems to be a general senses that that suck.

Yeah everyone one says the C10 body doesn't even like the stock tires it comes with. I like like style of that classic body for the truck for sure.. 👍
I don't think the C10's tires are any worse than the other stock tires. All the SCX24's tires are just ok, but they do work. Just no where to the levels of the RC4WD compound. The C10 does have smaller tires than the Deadbolts and Jeeps. I had to raise the ride height on my C10, by mounting the shocks to the frame, in order to clear the very wide RC4WD Patagonias.
1220210859a.jpg
1220210859c.jpg

Are the stock shock just crap because i will just get different shocks. Seems to be a general senses that that suck.
Yes and no. The after market shocks are not oil filled either, so its not really going to work any better than the stock ones. The only oil filled shocks that I know of are from MofoRC.com. I plan on trying a set of these.

Last edited:
Pat said he has tried other shocks and nothing so far beats the stock shocks. I for one don't feel rigs this small need oil filled shocks, especially so on a crawler.

If it were a buggy, yeah sure, a very light weight oil with the viscosity of water would posibbly help. But when you scale down the rig, you have to scale down the viscosity as well, and frankly, it just isn't going to be feasible for rigs this small.

And these little trucks should benefit more from quick, free moving shocks, as opposed to dampened ones that take time to reach out and find grip. I found this out with the 1/16 stuff I was building that did have oil filled shocks. I ultimately just drained the shocks and ran them with just a dab of shock oil in them.

Oh wait, this is the TRX4 thread anyway lol.

Just my opinion.

Pat said he has tried other shocks and nothing so far beats the stock shocks. I for one don't feel rigs this small need oil filled shocks, especially so on a crawler.

If it were a buggy, yeah sure, a very light weight oil with the viscosity of water would posibbly help. But when you scale down the rig, you have to scale down the viscosity as well, and frankly, it just isn't going to be feasible for rigs this small.

And these little trucks should benefit more from quick, free moving shocks, as opposed to dampened ones that take time to reach out and find grip. I found this out with the 1/16 stuff I was building that did have oil filled shocks. I ultimately just drained the shocks and ran them with just a dab of shock oil in them.
I concur! At this tiny scale, the tires alone are good enough "shock absorbers" for crawling purposes.

I just want to give the MofoRC shocks a try, just to see if there's much of a difference.

I concur! At this tiny scale, the tires along are good enough "shock absorbers" for crawling purposes.

I just want to give the MofoRC shocks a try, just to see if there's much of a difference.
And they say MOFO on them! ;)

@Tunedpipe For the SCX24's I took the springs off my front shocks, but left the springs on the rears and inverted all of them and mounted them to the frame just below where they were mounted before, seems to work well. :thumbs-up:
Not sure how I missed this but thanks bro.

If you are going for performance the trx4 sport kit all the way. Get rid of the battery tray and mount a 850mah 3s pack up front and carry another in your pocket. Also do away with all the cage, all the scale nick nacks, trim and slam the body, do away with the clunky bumpers and it will crawl awesome. Add a little brass up front andits even better. If you run a 1080 esc with a 12t crawlmaster sport 550 motor you will not need the two speed transmission any way. The full blown kit is nice too but the sport with its lower cg (with the no cost mods above) and lighter weight performs better in all ways except scale trail realism.
Either one you will be happy. They take a real beating.

Back