Building RC car with Sons

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this wrong in some descriptions for the connectors. So it is best to pay attention to pictures as well to make sure a male plug is actually a male plug. It seems some sellers look at the connector vs looking at the pins inside the connector to describe what they are selling. It's quite frustrating sometimes 🤬
Thats entirely possible but batteries always have female connectors and chargers therefore have to always have males.

I have seen this wrong in some descriptions for the connectors. So it is best to pay attention to pictures as well to make sure a male plug is actually a male plug. It seems some sellers look at the connector vs looking at the pins inside the connector to describe what they are selling. It's quite frustrating sometimes 🤬
So generally when companies say male or female they are referring to the pins and not the connectors? It is frustrating because often times I can't see the pins in the pictures and the descriptions are not adequate. So male pins will come in a female connector but this is generally called male? And female pins will come in a male connector and this is generally called female?
2) Personally I think the whole anti-spark thing is unnecessary and a lot of so called "anti-spark" connectors dont even work all that well. At least not the ones I've ever tried anyway. Some people like them 🤷‍♂️
Does EC5 connectors have an anti-spark connector? Which brands of EC5 connectors are best to get or avoid. I saw earlier in the thread that Amass was best for the XT connectors.

So generally when companies say male or female they are referring to the pins and not the connectors? It is frustrating because often times I can't see the pins in the pictures and the descriptions are not adequate. So male pins will come in a female connector but this is generally called male? And female pins will come in a male connector and this is generally called female?
Basically yes but when considering whether a connector is male or female the only thing that is taken in to account is the pins not the housings. Some connectors will have male connectors with exposed pins like a Deans connector. Thats why they dont go by the housings. Generally yes, when companies refer to male and female connectors they are referring to the pins. At least if they know what theyre talking about, as Kev pointed out every once in a blue moon a listing will get it wrong but its not terribly common.

Does EC5 connectors have an anti-spark connector? Which brands of EC5 connectors are best to get or avoid. I saw earlier in the thread that Amass was best for the XT connectors.
Yeah, as Grey said. You go by the pins. I have seen at least two listings in the past year or so that had the connectors listed wrong.

As far as connector brand, I buy Amass everything. They use a lot better plastic that doesn't melt as easily as the elcheaposwhen you solder on them.

I never used anti-spark on anything, and never had a need to as we have just got our first rig above 4S. I have noticed a very slight spark on a 3S battery, but not enough I was worried about it. With bigger connectors, I think it is more common, but like I said, all my rigs until recently have just been lil guys 1/10 and under.

Id look at Liperior LiPos from RCBattery.com instead of Zeee brand. Not much more expensive, waaaay better batteries.
Ok you sold me. I have read good things about Liperior Lipos.
You might also want a balance lead extension cable as some of the batteries have really stubby balance leads. Especially gensacearespammers. You can grab some HERE.
I see that the balance lead cables are mentioned as 6S. Does that mean that is the maximum number of lipos that can be used for that cable. If I am running 3s, I will be OK?

Last edited:
Ok you sold me. I have read good things about Liperior Lipos.
Out of all the LiPos I've run tests on LiPos so far, the Liperior and Zippy Compact so far are the 2 top dogs.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/comparing-lipos.130493/

I see that the balance lead cables are mentioned as 6S. Does that mean that is the maximum number of lipos that can be used for that cable. If I am running 3s, I will be OK?
Those balance leads are only for 6S lipos. You will need separate extensions for 2S, 3S, and 4S. If you're willing to wait 2 or 3 weeks, You can order all the extensions you could want from this eBay seller for a lot cheaper. I bought 10 of each size and theyre not bad at all for the money. He sells em in lots of 5 which I need because with the extensions only being like 6-8 inches long and I have to run wires from my chargers across the bench and in to my ammo cans so i usually string 4 or 5 of them together to make one long one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174823953236?var=474004969262

Out of all the LiPos I've run tests on LiPos so far, the Liperior and Zippy Compact so far are the 2 top dogs.

Those balance leads are only for 6S lipos. You will need separate extensions for 2S, 3S, and 4S. If you're willing to wait 2 or 3 weeks, You can order all the extensions you could want from this eBay seller for a lot cheaper. I bought 10 of each size and theyre not bad at all for the money. He sells em in lots of 5 which I need because with the extensions only being like 6-8 inches long and I have to run wires from my charger across the bench and in to my ammo cans so i usually string 4 or 5 of them together to make one long one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174823953236?var=474004969262
I use only a 6s cable with the little tab hacked off so I can plug any lipo 6s and under into it.
20211110_131543.jpg

Oh wow, I never even thought of doing that. Thats usin' the ole noggin'! Although I wouldnt recommend that to our friend here :)
It's the exact same way the balance ports are on my chargers, just with an extension cable. It's just the cable doesn't have the idiot proof numbers and negative cable location marked on it.
Screenshot_20211110-142002_Drive.jpg

It's the exact same way the balance ports are on my chargers, just with an extension cable. It's just the cable doesn't have the idiot proof numbers and negative cable location marked on it.
View attachment 136277
Yeah, both of my iChargers and my cell checkers are like that too. Just never occurred to me to extend it using a 6S or 8S cable like that. :)

Yeah, both of my iChargers and my cell checkers are like that too. Just never occurred to me to extend it using a 6S or 8S cable like that. :)
I have had 3 or 4 chargers like this and only just thought of this a few months ago 😜

Thanks for collecting this data. Wow, that is some huge variation from the specifications. Liperior it is then. Are you going to be testing any gensacearespammers batteries? Now the question is when will the 3S 65C 5000mAh EC5 batteries come back in stock.
There are several companies that make very good RTR (ready to run) stuff( everyone from Arrma, to Associated, to Losi, to Tekno), and, the advantage to RTR is that it usually comes with a battery and charger, although a lot of the RTR chargers are very slow to charge, so that i would look at getting a better charger.

I would stay to looking at the named brands Losi, associated, mugen, Tekin, kyosho, Arrma, traxxas. And sure there's more but not off top of head. 1/10 scale short course trucks , truggys, as they all have a good aftermarket parts supply..
Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. And if it's cheap there's probably a reason why it's cheap.. there tons of RCs out there today compared to 30yrs ago. When we were build Tamiya kits.

At that budget, my personal recommendations would be, in order, Team Associated Pro2 and Pro4, Losi Tenacity TT pro and DB pro, Arrma Senton, Typhon, and Kraton.

How is the customer service at Horizon Hobby I would like to order the Losi Tenacity DB Pro Fox version from them. It says stock coming November 2021.

Last edited:
How is the customer service at Horizon Hobby I would like to order the Losi Tenacity DB Pro Fox version from them. It says stock coming November 2021.
HH customer service has been amazing for me, I burned out my Typhon 3s servo and they sent a new one out for free with no questions asked.

Thanks for collecting this data. Wow, that is some huge variation from the specifications. Liperior it is then. Are you going to be testing any gensacearespammers batteries? Now the question is when will the 3S 65C 5000mAh EC5 batteries come back in stock.
I just tested one of there basic packs. I'll have the data on it up later today. Liperior and Zippy Compact are both better than a basic Gens_Ace pack.

They generally have really good customer service. I've had one or two bad experiences but mostly its been very good.

I have the X6 and the X8 but unfortunately they are only single battery chargers. If you want a duo icharger then Id look at the iCharger 308Duo
What are the pluses and minuses of going with a dual charger like the iCharger 308Duo versus the iCharger s6 and using a paraboard like this one from RC Buddy.

This paraboard has male XT30 connectors. I can't find a female XT30 to male EC5 connector or adapter. Only one I saw was on eBay from a Chinese seller. The Liperios batteries will have female EC5 connectors.

If a charger has 4mm bullet connectors, it would be perfect, I don’t even understand why a lot of newer chargers come with xt60 instead of 4mm bullets.

If a charger has 4mm bullet connectors, it would be perfect, I don’t even understand why a lot of newer chargers come with xt60 instead of 4mm bullets.
I love the XT60's personally.

Bullets are easier to get connectors for. They are so much more universal than XT60’s in my opinion.
I make my own connectors. I just never liked bullets. Dunno why. Probably because I am too lazy to plug in two wires instead of one 😜

I make my own connectors. I just never liked bullets. Dunno why.
Because of the risk of reversing the polarity? I just match red to red and black to black then I‘m good to go.

Back