Did I Overgear It?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Slash

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
So I wanted more top speed on my traxxas stampede and bought 23/86 gearing from my 19/86 gearing and the car was tons of fun however it smelled like burnt electrical after. Will I need to downgrade or is it something else on the truck

Jumping from a 19t to 23t pinion is a pretty significant change, especially for a monster truck, so you would likely need to gear it back down. Or increase the tooth count one at a time until it's faster yet not overheating.

So I wanted more top speed on my traxxas stampede and bought 23/86 gearing from my 19/86 gearing and the car was tons of fun however it smelled like burnt electrical after. Will I need to downgrade or is it something else on the truck
Did you check the motor temp? Whenever you change gears it is best to test the motor temp with an infrared temp gun to make sure you are staying below 160°F or so.

That's far too big of an increase on gears without closely monitoring the temps. As @TurboChargedHonda mentioned, a monster truck has to push bigger tires which cause's it to run hotter. Depending on what system you are running, the temps really need to be monitored. I have two Stampede's, 4x4 and 2wd and I run lower pinion gear count for that very reason.
Monster trucks are a kick in the ass but in the real world, they really aren't designed for speed.

Last edited:
I run my Stampede 4x4 with a HW brushless system 3s but run it on 2s simply because it's harder to control with 3s.
2s is plenty fast. I don't remember what gears I am running but it works and I have never reached thermal shutdown with the esc.

I run my Stampede 4x4 with a HW brushless system 3s but run it on 2s simply because it's harder to control with 3s.
2s is plenty fast. I don't remember what gears I am running but it works and I have never reached thermal shutdown with the esc.
I like the new frog lol!

Back