INVADER - Nitro Slash drag car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m loving the updates on this build. You can probably tell from my screen name I Love Big Daddy Roth and Kustom Kulture hot rods. Your craftsmanship is superb and I love seeing your imagination come to life in the form of a wicked gasser. If I ever decide to build a Slash Drag car I’d like to do a Willy’s style gasser I’m going to have check out your T Maxx build. I have a T Maxx but mine is stock. Still a fun rig though .

Thanks!

Haven't been able to do much testing lately because of weather, but I did replace the servo and adjust some things to get it ready for some more runs. I've actually done some more work on the TMaxx too, and might redo the body with some tweaks to the design that are more like how I did the Invader, with regards to the shell that protects the driver, and a different color scheme(was thinking metallic burgundy-ish with chrome).

Suspension is much better tuned, and it's taking off a lot better, and straighter now. Brakes are working much better too after some adjustments. Still tuning the engine, haven't had many good temperature days lately, so it's on the shelf for the next couple of months until the weather breaks, and I can start doing some timed runs.

I wish :) I think the "stay at home" order is going to be lifted where I live tomorrow, so I'll be able to head over to the parking lot where I test without getting arrested now :D

I've been itching to start doing some more testing and timed runs.

You can go outside lol ?

Atleast here in Kansas. You can still jog and do everything outside. Camping, fishing, etc. minus going inside a few places.

Ill be watching this one for sure.!

In Maryland you could do "exercise", not sure driving an RC in an empty parking lot would qualify, and I couldn't take the chance, I have a sensitive clearance for my job ;)

But all a moot point after tomorrow, so I'll be out for sure :D :D

I understand that! I had to have a security clearance when I made parts for Lockheed Martin.

Ill be eagerly awaiting!, ?

Long time, no update on this project...

So - I've more or less decided that this body is relegated to shelf-queen status, as it's just not very aerodynamic to begin with, and it's got some kiting issues. I didn't wreck it, but came really close, it was lifting and spinning out. Almost lost the entire car down a storm drain!

With that said, I picked up a Protoform Pro-Mod Corvette body and reconfigured the suspension. Switched to Bandit rear arms, and shafts, redid the shocks, basically narrowed the rear and slammed the chassis to the ground. Had to wait on some parts, but finally they came the other day, and I got the car put back together and ready to test. I will say that the rear wheels and tires are a *tight* fit with the exhaust, but it was ok, just made me a little nervous at first glance.

Last night my neighbor and I did some testing on our street in front of our houses. I got him to time some hits, once I got some things dialed in(steering and slipper mostly). It was launching very good at first, very straight, would get a little squirrelly at about 20 feet when the engine hit it's power band and the rear tires would break loose, so I had to pedal it quite a bit. The slipper was definitely helping on the launches. The good hits were just under 2.5 seconds, not an exact science with a stopwatch, but at least getting a decent ballpark idea of where I'm at with it. Then I started having some issues with it taking off soft, which turned out to be that I pretty much smoked my slipper. I could have cranked it down all the way(it was a 1/4 turn out), but not sure it would have helped, my tools were in the house and it was dinner time, and I ran out of fuel, so called it a night.

I will say that it ran very straight overall, and the engine is really dialed in. That is by far my favorite engine in my RC collection. I've ordered a slipper eliminator, aluminum spur gear, and am going to paint the body up tonight or tomorrow, going black and green with maybe an alien theme to keep it in line with the original idea and logo. I'm going to play around with clutch springs to see if I can use that for getting the launch good, as I suspect with no slipper it's going to spin out easily. Pics to come after I get it done. Can't wait to show the guys in my area racing 2s that nitro isn't slow :D

I'll get some better pics, but the body is finished. Proline Vette, and got the Proline hood scoop pak blower which is a perfect fit scale wise(the RPM one is WAAAAY too little).

121488612_10219467462580691_687437566800121403_n.jpg

121468352_10219467462220682_5541431484938079325_n.jpg

Not as "fun" as the original body at all, but certainly more practical and functional for actual racing. Ran it a few times on the street at high speed, the car stayed on it's feet :)

Still need to lock the slipper and look at some clutch options to get those launches consistent.

This poor car has sat and sat for a year with no real play....so sad. Until yesterday, at the DMV RC Takeover at RFK Stadium :D

20210815_132608.jpg

20210815_132601.jpg

It was a great turnout, and Jay Rock has got something big going down in ole DC for sure! Most of the focus was on drag racing, which I suspected from past event videos, so I just took the Invader and one of my bashing TMaxx (Predator). I never even fired the TMaxx up, lol. There were plenty of trucks and some ramps set up for bashing, but everyone was pretty wound up with the drag racing.

20210815_144139.jpg

I spent a few days in front of my house getting the Invader dialed in a bit. It was struggling with traction at times, if I punched it from the start, it was spinning out pretty bad. At times it was getting sideways after a good launch when it hit the power band. The street was kind of narrow and too much traffic at the time, so I didn't get a good full speed pass in, but I was satisfied that it was running straight and that the tune was decent enough.

There were lots of different types of racers here. Some 1/5 scale gassers, couple of nitros, some pro-mod/pro-stock no prep style, some F1 cars running foams, buggies, even a guy running a nitro Revo with the same OS .21 that I had.

People were pretty fascinated with my loud little nitro pro-mod car for sure! There was a little admiration, some others trash talking nitro, lol, but all in good fun. I did a few test hits away from the track, and was satisfied that all was in order, so it was time to race.

First up I paired up with a Gen 2 Camaro no prep car. Horn sounded, and I hit it with about 1/2 throttle at first then punched it, and the Invader was off and screaming. Ran a pure, A to B clean hit, definitely got out on the Camaro before he lost control. People were kinda shocked at how that nitro got down the track it seemed. It was definitely a good hit, sadly my GPS was uncharged, but I'd say it was somewhere around 3 seconds. Only issue I had was that my radio range with the Flysky G3 was poor, I was cutting out at 200 feet, so I had to run down to get my car. (Also turns out my hump pack was pretty low on juice). I recharged and it had more range, but still not great beyond 200 feet. (later tested, and not sure why I was having problems, maybe some interference?)

Next up was a stock Losi drag car, and I had another great run, my best one I think. I got him pretty good, and now everyone knew my name, lol. I was really happy with how this thing was running, though I knew it was running pretty rich, I really hesitated adding more power, it was getting A to B in a perfect line, and winning races. I considered leaning out the mid-speed needle, but changed my mind. Why mess with a good thing? My launches were pretty straight, I was doing pretty good with the half-throttle blip to get it going and then hitting it hard, and it was sticking.

I had another good hit against (I think) a Traxxas Drag Slash (might have been a custom Slash with a C10 body, not sure). Same thing, somewhere around 3 seconds or maybe a little less, but I was noticing something, which was I was getting out pretty fast, especially in the 30-70 foot range, but I was hitting my top speed with at least 30 or 40 feet to go. Anyway, I was 3-0 at this point.

My luck would change...

I raced my buddy who I came with, he had a stock Felony.
20210815_144142.jpg

I got out on him pretty good, really smooth launch, and just pulled out hard in that power band, but he ran me down on the big end and edged me out. I watched this video about 50 times last night(I tried to download, or link it no such luck, I'm going to try and get some videos of my hits sent directly to me). Used a stopwatch app to try and time it - looks like about 2.9 seconds. Definitely I was hitting my top speed weeeellll short of the finish line. Bummer, but that's something I can work on - I am running 20t/72t currently. I will switch to 22t/70t and see if I can't move that needle about 30 or 40 feet down the street. Will definitely play around with this some, and use my GPS data to get that thing hitting top speed at the finish line.

I raced another Felony against a young fella, and it was the mirror image of this race, with me jumping out, and getting run down. I was still super consistent though.

Last up I challenged a 1/5 scale gas powered top fuel dragster that I had already seen run and thought it would be a fun race. He was definitely fast, but his hits were a bit inconsistent I think, traction issues, despite the huge meats on that thing. This one got everyone excited, seeing some ICE machines roaring in the burnout area, and getting ready to settle a grudge (not really, haha). I had another really strong start, but at 50 feet I started losing traction and the car started veering to the center. I drove that sucker though, and got it straight and finished strong. It was a really, really close finish, and I thought I had won, but my buddy who was standing at the finish line said he nosed me out. Once again, he got around me on the big end.

Thoughts...well, I was super happy with how the car ran overall considering this was the first time I actually raced it, nearly 2 years after building it. I was 3-3, but could have easily been 6-0 with better gearing in theory. Every race I lost I got run down after jumping out strong. I will change out the gears next week, and tune for some more power, and get some times. If anyone in the area hasn't been to one of these events you should go. It's casual, people having tons of fun, there's people barbecueing and grilling, there's stuff for kids, raffles and prized, and not a drop of egos or bad blood. Also, I think wanna build an RJ Speed nitro funny car now over the winter :D

Last edited:
It's all about the fun! thanks for the write up and pics, sounds like it was a good time. :)

It really was, I encourage anyone in the region that's driving distance from DC to go, especially if you're into drag racing, or looking to get started in it. Nice casual style.

I couldn't help myself, I ordered the RJ Speed nitro funny car kit, it's only 149 dollars, and I already had everything else I need to complete it. Not sure I can stuff a big block into it, but gonna try. If not, I have a couple of spare small block engines to try out. Already got a pretty sick paint scheme in mind :D

With gearing being limited in nitros would it not be better to put a smaller but higher RPM engine in it? I mean if you're wanting to race competitively. Couple that with a clutch with some light springs to make it launch harder. I dont know nitro as well as I do electric but I think that might be a better strategy?

Unless you just want to stuff a bigblock in it for fun then I totally get it :)

With gearing being limited in nitros would it not be better to put a smaller but higher RPM engine in it? I mean if you're wanting to race competitively. Couple that with a clutch with some light springs to make it launch harder. I dont know nitro as well as I do electric but I think that might be a better strategy?

Unless you just want to stuff a bigblock in it for fun then I totally get it :)

Well definitely a higher rpm engine is ideal. I would love to find some .18 that ran 38k like an O.S. .18 TZ, but haven't been able to find one. The O.S. .21 TM I'm using in Invader is rated at 35k, and the SH .28 p8 big block is rated to 36k and has a ridiculous 4hp which is probably too much. I am skeptical I can massage a big block into this chassis anyway, as the wheels are pretty narrow in the back, but we'll see(it's arriving this week). If not, I've got a few small blocks I can try out and see. I have a Dynamite .19 that is rated to 35k, and a TRX2.5r that I'm not sure what it's rating is. I know the Dynamite is definitely more powerful. I thought about a Picco Maxx 2.6 red dot which goes to 34k but puts out close to 3hp. Most likely I'll use the Dynamite and see what my ET's are and go from there. Ideally I'm gunning for 1.6 seconds. I've seen vids of those RJ Speed and similar 1/10 nitro funny cars hitting those numbers(using small blocks too). That would have made me competitive with the fastest cars I saw sunday.

I've seen there are quite a few .12 - .15 options that have close to 2 hp and 45k rpm ranges. That's another idea....

As for gearing and clutches, I could go two ways I think. Gear it tall, and put down more power (which is the change I'm going to do with Invader), or gear it low and put in a high end screamer. As for the clutch, it's really the opposite. If you want it to launch hard, put in stiffer springs, so the engine engages at higher RPM and hits harder.

This car will likely start off as a "made of spare crap I have" car and then gradually upgrade.

Invader is I think pretty close to "good to go" with the gearing change, but maybe I try to find some different clutches. It's already competitive with the class of car it was built to run against, the SE's and Pro Mod cars running 2 and 3s, so it's mostly just tweaking and trying to get it down into the low 2's.

Last edited:
If you want it to launch hard, put in stiffer springs, so the engine engages at higher RPM and hits harder.
That makes sense. Never really messed with clutch tuning much as I'm just a basher. I did read somewhere though for a more smooth and progressive power transfer you can have each spring with a different rate. I guess how you tune the clutch on this bad boy will depend on how much your able to keep traction. :)

I spent most of Labor Day working on my two drag cars (mostly MeatETR and breaking in the new engine).

I did quite a bit of chassis work on Invader though. Reworked the stance a bit, and put it on a slight diet - removing 3 ounces of aluminum that was mostly just bling (battery box), and moving the hump pack to the front. Messed with the wheelie bar some as well, along with spring tension on the shocks. Replaced the stock STRC ball bearing wheel to use some slick Exotek wheels on the bar.

20210907_061650.jpg

20210907_061656.jpg

Took it outside, warmed it up, and started on tuning. Initially as I suspected, the higher gearing resulted in some bogging, though I had been running rather rich previously. I leaned it out, ran it around, temps were good (if not still a little low). Did some dry hops, and well, that resulted in smoking the tires pretty instantly. I played around some more, got the tires a little stickier and had some pretty good launches. I have some spare clutch shoes that I'm going to mod and try out to see how it is with higher rpm's. What I surely noticed was that it got into the powerband at least 20 feet further out, which is what I was going for. I didn't have time to drive out to my full on test spot to get 132 foot data, will do that one night this week for sure and post some screenshots of the results. I would love to see about 3 or 4 tenths shaved off.

Oh, and I put on my new logos :)

20210907_061537.jpg

20210907_062742.jpg

Attachments

• 20210516_161419.jpg
    20210516_161419.jpg
    782.6 KB · Views: 34
Back