1/5 scale monster truck for bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I found this thread…..had the same question…..@Demonwolf……any progress?
olds97…… thoughts on K8S update?
HPIguy……Imthisclose to pulling the trigger on K8 EXB later this fall when I get my bonus check, depending on what size it is.

I’m thinking the big Losi May not except the Heights it may be falling from when I do launch whatever I buy next. And I know that the X max is as tough as nails as a basher, but I do have some wide open spaces and I heard about it it’s handling and speed and going into corners etc. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread but I asked the exact same question…….thanx
Np, you can utilize and hijack the thread :) i had to put the purchase on hold for a couple months since i just had knee surgery. I am still very much interested in the xmaxx and the kraton 8s. Once i start getting the ok from the doctor so i can lift weight again, i will start looking again.

Np, you can utilize and hijack the thread :) i had to put the purchase on hold for a couple months since i just had knee surgery. I am still very much interested in the xmaxx and the kraton 8s. Once i start getting the ok from the doctor so i can lift weight again, i will start looking again.
On my end, any purchase will be waiting on a bonus check that I have been getting towards the end of the year. Depends on if I get it this year or not of course and how much it is…….been doing all kinds of due diligence…..still thinking XMAXX for you??

On my end, any purchase will be waiting on a bonus check that I have been getting towards the end of the year. Depends on if I get it this year or not of course and how much it is…….been doing all kinds of due diligence…..still thinking XMAXX for you??
So far, yeah, still thinking about the xmaxx 😀 the only real difference is that locally from what i can see, i can only get the kraton 8s, no one carries the xmaxx.

So far, yeah, still thinking about the xmaxx 😀 the only real difference is that locally from what i can see, i can only get the kraton 8s, no one carries the xmaxx.
Wow.... thats different........how about online (Amain, etc)

No one had it locally either here in jersey.. I had to get it on line from BeachRC. In NC
Wish you all the luck and best in your recovery bud.. I've had hip replacements. So I know your pain....👍👍👍don't worry the X will be there when your ready...

If you are still debating about a charger, this one is a little beast..
https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...c-battery-charger?_pos=1&_sid=3429df7ec&_ss=r

It charges faster than any I have owned, has a wicked menu (same as ISDT chargers), and I love the fact it uses XT60 plugs instead of the banana plugs. It will also wirelessly charge a phone if your phone supports wireless charging. On top of all that, it is really small and just a quality charger.

If you are still debating about a charger, this one is a little beast..
https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...c-battery-charger?_pos=1&_sid=3429df7ec&_ss=r

It charges faster than any I have owned, has a wicked menu (same as ISDT chargers), and I love the fact it uses XT60 plugs instead of the banana plugs. It will also wirelessly charge a phone if your phone supports wireless charging. On top of all that, it is really small and just a quality charger.
Thats a pretty cool little charger man👍👍. I like it need a small one for travel.. its apain to lug around the "venom quad charger"

Thats a pretty cool little charger man👍👍. I like it need a small one for travel.. its apain to lug around the "venom quad charger"
Yeah, well wait... let me find you a video of a really cool field charger...

Yeah, well wait... let me find you a video of a really cool field charger...

That's a sweet little charger and has ac power supply or dc.. that's awesome.. going to take a look at that one..thanks man👍👍

That's a sweet little charger and has ac power supply or dc.. that's awesome.. going to take a look at that one..thanks man👍👍
Yeah, if I were going racing, or driving somewhere to run, that would be mine. It is just a cool little beast.

Good evening Everyone!! So.. knee is healing well and is time to start looking again. That Race Day Quads(RDQ) charger looks super nice. So far I have The rock n roll Xmaxx picked out, blue loctite, and an 18t mod 1 pinnion (https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...-w-5mm-bore-18t-hransg18m1/p-qtaqt2walzqxactz). I know I will need batteries and charger, but is there anything else that I need at the beginning?? this is my very first RC in a very long time.. about 30 yrs.. What are your recommendations for good Lipos? I am looking to buy 4. Do I need the 8000/9000 mAh or would 6500 be fine? As for the charger, which would be the best ones to look at.. So far people have recommended the RDQ one and the Hitec X2 AC Plus. The Hitec is actually more expensive than the RDQ one. Would there be other ones that would be better to look at? Anything else I should purchase at the beginning?? possibly a RC tool kit?

Good evening Everyone!! So.. knee is healing well and is time to start looking again. That Race Day Quads(RDQ) charger looks super nice. So far I have The rock n roll Xmaxx picked out, blue loctite, and an 18t mod 1 pinnion (https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...-w-5mm-bore-18t-hransg18m1/p-qtaqt2walzqxactz). I know I will need batteries and charger, but is there anything else that I need at the beginning?? this is my very first RC in a very long time.. about 30 yrs.. What are your recommendations for good Lipos? I am looking to buy 4. Do I need the 8000/9000 mAh or would 6500 be fine? As for the charger, which would be the best ones to look at.. So far people have recommended the RDQ one and the Hitec X2 AC Plus. The Hitec is actually more expensive than the RDQ one. Would there be other ones that would be better to look at? Anything else I should purchase at the beginning?? possibly a RC tool kit?
Whats up bud glad the knees feeling better👍👍 are you buying a new or used Xmaxx? You can get everything you need as a starter kit truck radio batteries and charger
I would do some research on the new lipos. Alot different then 30yrs ago.. Definitely don't need 9000mah lipos. Good 6000 - 65000 mah is just fine.. with a good high C rating 60C and above I personally would suggest. The hitec is one of the chargers I picked up. I also own a Venom quad lipo charger. The hitec will give you the IR internal resistance of your lipos. Which is important. What lipos depends on what your budget allows. You can go with better lipos SMC, Gene's Ace, pro tech. Or go with hoovo, Zeee, HRB, youmes. There's alot to go with.. it all depends on what your looking for. With the Xmaxx it comes with Traxxas ID connectors so if you go with other the traxxas lipos. You will need to look for the original TRX HC connectors to come on the lipo. "HC" High current connector the old style traxxas connectors.. or will need a adapter for the style of connector your ljpo comes with.

Last edited:
Whats up bud glad the knees feeling better👍👍 are you buying a new or used Xmaxx? You can get everything you need as a starter kit truck radio batteries and charger
I would do some research on the new lipos. Alot different then 30yrs ago.. Definitely don't need 9000mah lipos. Good 6000 - 65000 mah is just fine.. with a good high C rating 60C and above I personally would suggest. The hitec is one of the chargers I picked up. I also own a Venom quad lipo charger. The hitec will give you the IR internal resistance of your lipos. Which is important. What lipos depends on what your budget allows. You can go with better lipos SMC, Gene's Ace, pro tech. Or go with hoovo, Zeee, HRB, youmes. There's alot to go with.. it all depends on what your looking for. With the Xmaxx it comes with Traxxas ID connectors so if you go with other the traxxas lipos. You will need to look for the original TRX HC connectors to come on the lipo. "HC" High current connector the old style traxxas connectors.. or will need a adapter for the style of connector your ljpo comes with.
Thank u so much for the quick response. I am looking for a brand new xmaxx. So everything will be brand new. When it comes to price, i want to keep it relatively reasonable since i am buying 4 batteries. I want something decent but 150 + per battery is kind of expensive. If they had a starter kit that would b great.

Thank u so much for the quick response. I am looking for a brand new xmaxx. So everything will be brand new. When it comes to price, i want to keep it relatively reasonable since i am buying 4 batteries. I want something decent but 150 + per battery is kind of expensive. If they had a starter kit that would b great.
The Xmaxx comes that way from traxxas. Can get it that way from any hobby store on line.. the price for the truck alone your talking almost a grand. Then 4) 4s decent lipos 2-250$. And a charger any where from 125- 200$. The Xmaxx is not a cheap investment. I hope you know that. You will be putting out some $$ to get one....the Xmaxx with the ID dual charger and 2) 6700mah lipos is about 1400-1500$$.. all in that's just you get you running.. is this your First RC?

For LiPos, Id look at SMC first if they fit your budget. If not then you could drop down to Hoovo or Zeee brand. As for as starting tools you're going to need at least a basic 4 or 6 piece metric hex driver set. Id probably lean toward the 6 piece set as you'll likely need some bigger wrenchs for a 1/5 scale. I would suggest Team EDS or MIP. Other tools I would just pick up as needed.

For LiPos, Id look at SMC first if they fit your budget. If not then you could drop down to Hoovo or Zeee brand. As for as starting tools you're going to need at least a basic 4 or 6 piece metric hex driver set. Id probably lean toward the 6 piece set as you'll likely need some bigger wrenchs for a 1/5 scale. I would suggest Team EDS or MIP. Other tools I would just pick up as needed.
I was just looking over at SMC and I don't see a way to contact them. Also, when going through their checkout, by the time you get to the page to pay for your order, there is never a billing summary page to see how much you are actually being charged. They really need to take a look at their website. At least for mobile, it is terrible. Do they charge sales tax?

I was just looking over at SMC and I don't see a way to contact them. Also, when going through their checkout, by the time you get to the page to pay for your order, there is never a billing summary page to see how much you are actually being charged. They really need to take a look at their website. At least for mobile, it is terrible. Do they charge sales tax?
That must be a mobile thing. On a PC they have a shipping and tax calculator as one of the first steps in the check out process and before making payment a full summary of what you are buying and paying is there.

Also their contact info is kinda hidden on their website but it is there.
Capture.JPG

Yeah, as i stated in the earlier thread it has probably been close to 30 years since I have had a remote and it was nothing like the new systems. I do know that the truck is about a grand and contains the truck, the remote, and a couple other thing such as maintenance tools (I have read these tools are trash). The SMC batteries seem decent, I found these on sale for $80 and get to pick the connector https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_171&product_id=657 .. would these be exactly what I am looking for?

I just got my used xmaxx last week. It was at a "local" hobby shop. It's my first none RadioShack rc and first rc in like 20 years. I was glad I went there to look at everything. I almost wish I would have gotten new, so know how much abuse it had and no rust on the screws haha. That being said, I walked out with new batteries, charger and the truck for under $1000. They also didn't have the rock n roll body(new), which looks fantastic!

They had an already sold kraton 8s, which I would have 100% bought over the xmaxx based solely on how it looked and made me feel haha. That being said. The xmaxx is an absolute monster and stupidly fast. I've only had 3 real sessions so far (broke it on the first one, hit a mailbox). I'll still eventually get the Kraton exb but this xmaxx is a blast.

20211007_143809.jpg

I just got my used xmaxx last week. It was at a "local" hobby shop. It's my first none RadioShack rc and first rc in like 20 years. I was glad I went there to look at everything. I almost wish I would have gotten new, so know how much abuse it had and no rust on the screws haha. That being said, I walked out with new batteries, charger and the truck for under $1000. They also didn't have the rock n roll body(new), which looks fantastic!

They had an already sold kraton 8s, which I would have 100% bought over the xmaxx based solely on how it looked and made me feel haha. That being said. The xmaxx is an absolute monster and stupidly fast. I've only had 3 real sessions so far (broke it on the first one, hit a mailbox). I'll still eventually get the Kraton exb but this xmaxx is a blast.

View attachment 134780
That is great to hear.. It is a complete toss up for me between Kraton 8s or Xmaxx.. There is a local hobby shop that has the kraton 8s in stock.. It looks sick.. I am just kinda leaning more towards the monster truck style vehicle. Which would be used for bashing and fun, flying thru the air. Looking for something that will handle what i throw at it since i will have to learn to control it, in this realm i am a super noob. lol

Back