What diff oil is best to put in my RC car for both dirt, grass, road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
HI guys,

I have just recently bought a Losi 22s SCT kicker short course truck and i was noticing it was diffing out. What would be the best all around diff fluid?

thanks!

I use Associated diff fluids usually but really most brands are all about the same stuff imo.

If your asking what weight diff fluid that I couldnt tell you as I dont own that kit.

Last edited:
Not to mention you are asking for one fluid to run on very high and low traction surfaces that take opposite types of diff fluid.

To run on anything you put in a middle of the road diff fluid. If you want a stiffer diff than you have now look up whats in it and go to a higher value.

i have heard that 3000 cst is a good all terrain oil is that right

For dirt track in my buggy IIRC, I ran 3k front, 7k center, and 5k rear. I would think youd want to go a little higher than that for running on grass but its honestly prolly not overly important for bashing.

well i have a 2wd rc short course truck and i am pretty sure it only has one diff so would it be good to put 5k oil in the diff like you run in yours or would it need something thicker like 10k diff oil

Last edited:
and do you also have to put thicker diff oil the lower the traction

The thicker the oil the more the wheels drive equally. If one loses traction the other keeps pushing. Less diffing out.
I think 3000 is what it comes with so 5000 would be stiffer.

In my 2wd slash stock diff I run heavy duty tractor grease; I can do donuts on pavement, but it still will allow one tire to spin faster than the other. In the sealed differential I run Lucas assembly fluid.

Again the weight of the shock oil if you're just bashing the kit doesn't really matter, You can use straight up grease in it and it will be fine. If your racing or running on a track then diff oil becomes part of the tuning process. You can read THIS to understand better how diff oil affects the diffs but at the end of the day its really personal preference for your given set up and terrain. between 5k is probably a good place to start and then you can tune it from there.

Again the weight of the shock oil if you're just bashing the kit doesn't really matter, You can use straight up grease in it and it will be fine. If your racing or running on a track then diff oil becomes part of the tuning process. You can read THIS to understand better how diff oil affects the diffs but at the end of the day its really personal preference for your given set up and terrain. between 5k is probably a good place to start and then you can tune it from there.

Interesting article.

In my 2wd slash stock diff I run heavy duty tractor grease; I can do donuts on pavement, but it still will allow one tire to spin faster than the other. In the sealed differential I run Lucas assembly fluid.
thanks could you please send me the link to the stuff you use in the 2wd slashes diff and i will also buy the 5k diff oil as you other guys have suggested

thanks could you please send me the link to the stuff you use in the 2wd slashes diff and i will also buy the 5k diff oil as you other guys have suggested
You can buy it at any auto parts store. I’ll send a picture when I get off work. A big thing as well is to make sure all the gears in side the transmission are shimmed to take up as much slop and play as possible. I stopped destroying transmission guts when I did this

You can buy it at any auto parts store. I’ll send a picture when I get off work. A big thing as well is to make sure all the gears in side the transmission are shimmed to take up as much slop and play as possible. I stopped destroying transmission guts when I did this
also how thick is the oil in cst that you run in your traxxas slash 2wd

It’s like wheel bearing grease. So it’s pretty thick. But it’s also water proof. It’s marine grade grease.

the assembly fluid is full synthetic and has the same consistency as table syrup. Being more liquid, it has to be run in a sealed diff. It has a honey like tackyness. So it will leave a film on the gears for maximum lubrication.
also how thick is the oil in cst that you run in your traxxas slash 2wd

Attachments

• CF824EBA-CF06-4E9D-9197-57BC474EE13A.png
    CF824EBA-CF06-4E9D-9197-57BC474EE13A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
This is the assembly fluid I use

Attachments

• ABD42AAA-D8A7-4C9F-AB57-8EC5AEFFA2F2.png
    ABD42AAA-D8A7-4C9F-AB57-8EC5AEFFA2F2.png
    2 MB · Views: 274
When I use grease for my diffs/transmissions I generally use Mobil 1 synthetic grease but really Like More_Power said anything that you would use for wheel bearing grease will work like what he uses is perfectly fine too.

post-142567-140741933264.jpg

My LHS sells these little tubes of RC specific grease. But it’s the same price as the stuff I use, and I get 3 mini tubes of the grease; it’s just a better buy.

It’s like wheel bearing grease. So it’s pretty thick. But it’s also water proof. It’s marine grade grease.

the assembly fluid is full synthetic and has the same consistency as table syrup. Being more liquid, it has to be run in a sealed diff. It has a honey like tackyness. So it will leave a film on the gears for maximum lubrication.
THANKS SO MUCH

Back