Best way to stop overheating on Stampede 4x4 VXL?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I weighed it, and it's between 6 and 6.5 pounds. The previous gear ratio was 4.67:1, but now it's 6:1. I haven't been able to run it since switching over, but we'll see what happens. Maybe now it'll do wheelies on a 2S with the extra torque!

Well, I was disappointed with the top speed, so I'm at 54:12, or 4.5:1, which gives me great top speed at 2S and plenty of power, but I'm not overheating on that 2S, and I'll save the 3S for occasional speed runs. Also I got a 1/16th E-Revo VXL, and that thing with 4S will go over 50MPH, so I'm pretty happy with that for speed runs.

Well, I was disappointed with the top speed, so I'm at 54:12, or 4.5:1, which gives me great top speed at 2S and plenty of power, but I'm not overheating on that 2S, and I'll save the 3S for occasional speed runs. Also I got a 1/16th E-Revo VXL, and that thing with 4S will go over 50MPH, so I'm pretty happy with that for speed runs.
As long as you're not overheating now on 2S you can add a couple teeth to the pinion and try that. That will give you better top speed. The trick now will be to slowly start ramping up your pinion size little by little until you find the sweet spot where you are getting the most speed possible with out giving up so much torque that the motor overheats. I wouldnt let the motor go over about 175F.

I'm pretty happy with the 4.5:1 ratio I have. It'll let me get a few speed runs on 3S before thermal shutdown, and on 2S it's pretty fast but seems to not overheat. With the 6.5+ pound weight of the vehicle with batteries, I'm well satisfied with this. It's slightly faster than it was before, I had a slightly larger spur gear, but it was old, metal, and had a missing bearing. So even though I went from 56t to 54t, it should tax the motor about the same since it's smoother with the right bearings, and a little lighter with the plastic spur gear.

if its that old then how has the regular maintenance been?. id go and replace all lubes and bearing along with motor bearing.

if its that old then how has the regular maintenance been?. id go and replace all lubes and bearing along with motor bearing.
No idea, I just got it in a trade from someone who got it from someone else. I've checked the feel of the drive train and everything seems to be about right. Diffs are just a little bit firm, but everything seems to move very smoothly. I probably should look into all that though and check diff fluid and bearings and all that.

Back