Will the Traxxas BEC work with this servo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoeless

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here and new to RC trucks. I have a trx6 Mercedes and I'd like to get a new servo. I would like to get the ProTek RC 370TBL "Black Label" Waterproof High Torque Brushless Crawler Servo (High Voltage/Metal Case) (Digital).

What I need to know is will the Traxxas bec work with this? If not what should I buy. I don't want to have to do any soldering.
Thanks!

it will work wont be as fast as with 7.4volts or have the oz as with 7.4 it will work.

Ok, I'm only running 1.9 not 2.2 so hopefully it will be good.

You can technically run the servo (any servo) without a BEC, but under load, it will draw a lot of current (to not stall), which can strain (and maybe damage) the internal BEC (voltage regulator) of the ESC by causing brownouts. The XL-5 HV that comes with the TRX-4s and TRX-6s is only able to supply 1 amp of current, and in some (extreme) cases it isn't enough even for the stock servo. Of course, if you are just trailing, it should be fine, but it is recommended if you are planning on rock crawling with it.

And yes, the Traxxas BEC fits and is plug and play.

You can technically run the servo (any servo) without a BEC, but under load, it will draw a lot of current (to not stall), which can strain (and maybe damage) the internal BEC (voltage regulator) of the ESC by causing brownouts. The XL-5 HV that comes with the TRX-4s and TRX-6s is only able to supply 1 amp of current, and in some (extreme) cases it isn't enough even for the stock servo. Of course, if you are just trailing, it should be fine, but it is recommended if you are planning on rock crawling with it.

And yes, the Traxxas BEC fits and is plug and play.
Good to know. I will be rock climbing so Thanks for the info!

Ok now that I have that 1 amp info that servo will give you brownouts every-time you use steering with just the slightest amount of resistance on tires so no it wont work without a ubec.. Id like to know how the traxxas bec can provide more power to rx and no other modifications to esc bec as in pulling red wire from rx esc plug...your going to need a ubec or however you plan on giving that power hungry servo its food(as in amps and voltage that wont sag)....soldering is a skill 1 needs to have in this hobby. Practice with a hot enough iron 45+ watts a good solder extra flux(as in a jar).. wires of all sizes and heat shrink tubbing (on most cases you will need to put it on b4 the fix)

Savox SW-1212SG Waterproof Aluminum Case Steel Gear Digital Servo (High Voltage)​

I'm also considering this servo. Not sure what bec will work with it? Again dont want to do any soldering.

Savox SW-1212SG Waterproof Aluminum Case Steel Gear Digital Servo (High Voltage)​

I'm also considering this servo. Not sure what bec will work with it? Again dont want to do any soldering.
Unfortunately, Savox servos are also pretty power-hungry, but if you really are avoiding soldering, the Traxxas BEC is worth a try... Traxxas doesn't list the specs of the current supply and other specs for the BEC, which is why I am hesitant to say it works with other servos. If you want to go the "safe" way, the Traxxas Red servo and the Traxxas BEC will be plug and play (but probably wouldn't be the most cost effective).

I am Shoeless at this time. I'll consider it though! (The soldering not the Shoes)

Well I went with the

No bec, yet. The guys at the shop said it doesn't need a bec to run with a little more power. When/if I want to go with a bec they said they would solder it in for me. I'm still curious if the traxxas bec would work though.

Well I went with the

No bec, yet. The guys at the shop said it doesn't need a bec to run with a little more power. When/if I want to go with a bec they said they would solder it in for me. I'm still curious if the traxxas bec would work though.
The Traxxas BEC will work better than no external BEC, but it probably wouldn't be able to supply as much current compared to other UBECs (e.g. CC UBEC). (IMHO) It's best if you don't just limit yourself to plug-and-play modules, but it is your decision.

Put the savox 1212 in today. can't wait to see how it does rock crawling this afternoon!

I installed a Traxxas BEC with a black label protek servo suggested by some people in an rc group and it gave me problems (freezing, jittery, stalling) removed the BEC and works fine but not getting the speed it is capable of but no stalling issues. Wondering what could be the problem. Only thing I could think of is that I still have the advanced lighting kit connected to the port on the receiver.. any other ideas?

I installed a Traxxas BEC with a black label protek servo suggested by some people in an rc group and it gave me problems (freezing, jittery, stalling) removed the BEC and works fine but not getting the speed it is capable of but no stalling issues. Wondering what could be the problem. Only thing I could think of is that I still have the advanced lighting kit connected to the port on the receiver.. any other ideas?
What ESC, What servo, what battery, what are the specs on the traxxas ESC? Hard to answer that question without more info.

On a side note, I'm not sure why anyone would pay $40 for a Traxxas BEC when Castle sells a 10A BEC for $25 and its programmable. I can't find one website, including Traxxas's website that gives any specs on their BEC at all.

What ESC, What servo, what battery, what are the specs on the traxxas ESC? Hard to answer that question without more info.

On a side note, I'm not sure why anyone would pay $40 for a Traxxas BEC when Castle sells a 10A BEC for $25 and its programmable. I can't find one website, including Traxxas's website that gives any specs on their BEC at all.
Yeah figured traxxas tries to make it’s stuff proprietary lol.. all the companies need to improve on their product descriptions and compatibility info along with helpful install info.. servo is the.. 3s lipo 80c

ProTek RC 1KTBL Black Label Ultra High Torque Brushless Waterproof Crawler Servo (High Voltage/Metal Case) (Digital)​

Dudes buying 150+ dollar servos and connecting them to internal BECs... Really.

Dudes buying 150+ dollar servos and connecting them to internal BECs... Really.
Hes hooking it up to an external traxxas BEC but without any knowledge of the traxxas BEC specs or pics as to how it was hooked up, videos of what its actually doing, etc its hard to even take an educated guess as to what it could be.