Transmission not shifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankCatton

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok it’s only been a month since I started reviving this thing and it seems like it’s going to keep throwing things at me lol. Trans stopped shifting I believe it’s stuck in 1st gear. Anyone have any ideas?

with shifting issues, first few things you want to make sure first.
is the engine in tune and getting enough RPMs? if not make sure to tune it correctly, if its too rich it wont shift because the engine is not spinning to correct RPM to allow it to shift (remember shift is based on RPMs the transmission is spinning)
are you sure it not already in second gear (if it is shifting too early, you might not even notice it.)
might just need to adjust the 2nd gear shift, the manual explains how to adjust this. if you want it to shift sooner, loosen the grub screw, if you want it to shift later (higher RPMs) tighten the grub screw, make sure you are adjusting the adjustment grub, not the one that holds the hub to the shaft.
adjust in 1/8-1/4 turn rotations at a time. make sure to do a WOT pass between adjustments.

with shifting issues, first few things you want to make sure first.
is the engine in tune and getting enough RPMs? if not make sure to tune it correctly, if its too rich it wont shift because the engine is not spinning to correct RPM to allow it to shift (remember shift is based on RPMs the transmission is spinning)
are you sure it not already in second gear (if it is shifting too early, you might not even notice it.)
might just need to adjust the 2nd gear shift, the manual explains how to adjust this. if you want it to shift sooner, loosen the grub screw, if you want it to shift later (higher RPMs) tighten the grub screw, make sure you are adjusting the adjustment grub, not the one that holds the hub to the shaft.
adjust in 1/8-1/4 turn rotations at a time. make sure to do a WOT pass between adjustments.
I did tune it down a little leaner and seems to be revving a little bit higher. It sat for 15 years in a box in my garage. When I first took it out and got it running again it was shifting just fine. Even in the air it would shift. It just stopped. I’m going to take it apart and adjust the grub screw. See if it makes any changes.

Oh, okay. I was about to say if it was on a rough surface it may have problems getting to high enough speed.
Lol makes sense. I’ve always had the shift point set early. I’m going to make some adjustments and hope it comes back to life

Update : made a bunch of changes snd still won’t shift. Going to take apart now I’m assuming? Anything I should look for to

take pictures b4 disassembling.. does trans have grease or oil? maybe thats gone or needs replaced..

Update : made a bunch of changes snd still won’t shift. Going to take apart now I’m assuming? Anything I should look for to
not really anything to look out for except what will be most likely very noticeable, except snapped pins, those can hide from ya, and make sure the shift hub grub screw is tight to the shaft on the flat spot (i think it has the flat spot anyways, been a long time since i tore mine down.
take pictures b4 disassembling.. does trans have grease or oil? maybe thats gone or needs replaced..
+1 to pictures, MGT uses a dry trans, I've used a very sparring amount of silicone grease to test. didnt make it last longer affect anything except make it messier on cleanup.

not really anything to look out for except what will be most likely very noticeable, except snapped pins, those can hide from ya, and make sure the shift hub grub screw is tight to the shaft on the flat spot (i think it has the flat spot anyways, been a long time since i tore mine down.

+1 to pictures, MGT uses a dry trans, I've used a very sparring amount of silicone grease to test. didnt make it last longer affect anything except make it messier on cleanup.

Yea I haven’t really done anything to this thing in about 15 years so I forgot everything I knew. It just stopped shifting on its own I didn’t crash it or anything. Hopefully nothing major. Thanks

Yea I haven’t really done anything to this thing in about 15 years so I forgot everything I knew. It just stopped shifting on its own I didn’t crash it or anything. Hopefully nothing major. Thanks

Some times that pawl inside will get distorted an it will get jammed or stuck ,also make
sure that the grub screw that adjust the trans didnt vibrate loose trick to that ,would be
to put a little bit of thread lock on the screw an let it set overnite before you put it back
in the hub!... :thumbs-up: