Slash 4x4 Pinion keeps getting destroyed(metal spur)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my slash 4x4 has a gear problem apparently. So it kept destroying the the spur every time I ran it I couldn’t even go through one battery before it the spur died so I replaced it with metal spur. But now it keeps destroying the pinion and I still can’t even kill one battery. I’ve tried adjusting the mesh countless times but no matter what I do it chews up my pinion. The only solution I have found that works is to not run it on 3s only on 2s. Or if I do run it on 3s I can’t go full throttle or else it destroys itself. I’m at a loss. I did find out today that the wheel bearings in my slash were either seized up or close to it. Could that be my issue?

7858FB40-D9A1-4F25-9A2A-3689B4DE228B.jpeg

Last edited:
replace worn bearing and do what was suggested in your 1st post of the same thing...id do what was said about motor bearing...(replace them)

replace worn bearing and do what was suggested in your 1st post of the same thing...id do what was said about motor bearing...(replace them)
my bad I forgot I already asked about this and that people already told me what I should do. Now that you mention it i remember I was gonna replace the bearings a while ago and I completely forgot about it. I think I might even have already bought them I’ll have to check my messy rc table. Well yea I’ll replace the bearings and go from there.

try post it notes. they work wonders..put a memo in your phone whatever will work

You can carefully use a box cutter to pry the blue “shield” from the bearings. After removal, you can soak them (bearings) in some WD-40 or liquid wrench or some other penetrating oil; giving them a shake and spin every once in a while. This should clean them and break up what ever gunk has built up in them. When they spin as freely as you can get them, replace the ones that are not salvageable. The ones that are, spray them with some break cleaner, allow them to dry. Apply some grease to the ball bearings and reinstall the shields. Should save some cash, but takes some time.

if you have the black plastic spacer for your motor plate (the slipper clutch goes through it) trash it and get the blue aluminum one from traxxas. Also if you do have the black one, inspect your motor plate and the bearing that goes in to the motor plate. My motor was doing the same thing, I removed the motor plate and realized the black bushing had gotten soft and compressed, allowing it to cause the whole bearing in the plate to spin. This basically friction welded the bearing in to a new location, causing the spur and pinion alignment to be off. I now have the kingz head aluminum motor plate and bearing, and the traxxas aluminum bushing. No more gearing issues

You can carefully use a box cutter to pry the blue “shield” from the bearings. After removal, you can soak them (bearings) in some WD-40 or liquid wrench or some other penetrating oil; giving them a shake and spin every once in a while. This should clean them and break up what ever gunk has built up in them. When they spin as freely as you can get them, replace the ones that are not salvageable. The ones that are, spray them with some break cleaner, allow them to dry. Apply some grease to the ball bearings and reinstall the shields. Should save some cash, but takes some time.

if you have the black plastic spacer for your motor plate (the slipper clutch goes through it) trash it and get the blue aluminum one from traxxas. Also if you do have the black one, inspect your motor plate and the bearing that goes in to the motor plate. My motor was doing the same thing, I removed the motor plate and realized the black bushing had gotten soft and compressed, allowing it to cause the whole bearing in the plate to spin. This basically friction welded the bearing in to a new location, causing the spur and pinion alignment to be off. I now have the kingz head aluminum motor plate and bearing, and the traxxas aluminum bushing. No more gearing issues
Grease in bearings? Amen brother! I am a firm believer in using grease. Especially, if running in dusty environment.

And speaking of bearings, I always check my motor bearings for any play in them. Factor in a spur gear with a high spot on it and that little bit of play from a motor bearing gone bad... can mess things up in a heartbeat.

lol, I don’t know, you grease the bearing in your 1:1 scale vehicle. What would make a 1:10 scale any different!?!

lol, I don’t know, you grease the bearing in your 1:1 scale vehicle. What would make a 1:10 scale any different!?!
Yep.;)
But, when I raced stock/spec off-road classes on real dirt, I will admit I did use a lightweight oil, and take off inside shields to make my head think I was gaining a bunch less rolling resistance. Nowadays, I track bash at my backyard track in which the track has a nasty habit of throwing dirt/dust straight onto exposed bearings. Using grease in my bearings has brought my yearly bearing costs down 75%.

Now that I got that out of the way, I'm starting to have flashbacks of being at a race track with my OCD chasing slop... I'll save that for another thread.

What pinion are you using? Traxxas or something better? The traxxas ones are pretty soft. I used to see wear on mine just running against a plastic spur on 2S after a while. I run 4S in my stampede 4x4 now with a 4074 2200kv motor and 3.8" wheels. I run a plastic 54T spur on a center diff. It holds up fine unless I land hard on power on all 4 tires. Or get a rock in it.

If your motor bearings don't have any side to side slop that you can feel, it's not likely that. Check your spur hub bearing and spur hub itself. Do you still have the plastic hub or did you upgrade to aluminum? Are you running the stock motor/spur gear mount or a better one that uses a larger bearing?

The spur bearings have a tendency to die quickly, so if you can, get a mount that uses a larger one. They hold up much longer. Also get the aluminum piece that the bearing rides on as it won't get hot/melt like the stock plastic peice does.

I have the king head HCG peice on my stampede:
https://www.kingheadz.com/product/trx6860t-slash-4x4-alm-motor-mount-w-telemetry-mount/

They also have a LCG version:
https://www.kingheadz.com/product/trx7460-slash-4x4-lcg-alm-motor-mount/

Both run larger bearings.

They also have the bearing hub thing:
https://www.kingheadz.com/product/trx6893-slash-4x4-slipper-bearing-adaptor/

I just have traxxas's aluminum version of that.

Back