54 in. Dumas Scarab

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddawson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the rc boats and recently acquired a 54 in. hull and what appears to be most of the parts to build for free from a friend of mine. I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. My local shop didnt seem to know much about the boats. I'm really just trying to find the right path on how to build this without an instruction manual or previous knowledge. Here is what i have:

-what i believe to be a 54 in. Dumas Scarab hull without the hatch or rails.
-older Futaba radio and servos
-Homelite 25cc engine (appears new)
-Octura strudder with prop
-2 flex drives with brass tube
-small allthread with plastic sleeves, assorted hardware

20210113_175345.jpg
20210112_133829.jpg
20210113_180143.jpg
20210113_180155.jpg
20210113_175406.jpg

Not sure were you live or what body of water you plan on running .but Id check with local laws ..to be safe.
I can not run a 2 stroke toy boat on any water within 100 miles of my home.. Not sure id kept that old fm radio I think id uprgade to a new 2.4 ghz (major better system than the old stuff)1 ... not sure I seen a battery in those pics. you will need 1 to power electronics on that boat and a charger to charge whatever type of battery you get.... Great freebie wow... you can check servos to see how many volts the can take. start by seeing if all things work b4 building.. test servos. motor .flex tube. water for cooling .either off rudder or transom..looks like you will need some type of a exhaust pipe .

Not sure were you live or what body of water you plan on running .but Id check with local laws ..to be safe.
I can not run a 2 stroke toy boat on any water within 100 miles of my home.. Not sure id kept that old fm radio I think id uprgade to a new 2.4 ghz (major better system than the old stuff)1 ... not sure I seen a battery in those pics. you will need 1 to power electronics on that boat and a charger to charge whatever type of battery you get.... Great freebie wow... you can check servos to see how many volts the can take. start by seeing if all things work b4 building.. test servos. motor .flex tube. water for cooling .either off rudder or transom..looks like you will need some type of a exhaust pipe .
We are in Oklahoma. I dont believe there is anything preventing us from runnung this but good point to confirm first. It will need a battery. I had considered updating the remote as well. I may try to get it on the water first with what i have and upgrade these after.

make sure you install a fail safe of some type b4 all.. can't run that without a battery/charger. or even make your own with 4 aa they sell holders for them ..with a rx plug or futaba style ..little 3 wire plug usually black ...

Go ahead and upgrade to the 2.4 GHz radio as some of the less expensive ones cost about the same as a fail safe and they have a fail safe built in.

I am going to start my shopping list but figured id go ahead and start building the stringers and transom. I was going to use 3/8 birch ply but was only able to find 1/2 birch at the local lumber yard. When looking at how others have mounted these engines it makes me question a couple things... Are the mounts on the forward side the only real mounts attaching the engine?

Meaning, is the aft mount really just a place for the aft portion of the engine to rest on? I've attached a picture that i found and it doesn't appear to have any attachment on the aft side. Also, when you mount the engine, are you canting the engine at an angle so the drive is pointing directly to the bottom of the transom where the drive exits? Sorry for the long question. I appreciate everyone's guidance.

Screenshot_20210115-190050.png

I went ahead and stripped of the paint that was on it first. It appeared to be exterior house paint tbat was brushed on. Here is an updated picture.

Attachments

• 20210114_174229.jpg
    20210114_174229.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 124
I'm new to the rc boats and recently acquired a 54 in. hull and what appears to be most of the parts to build for free from a friend of mine. I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. My local shop didnt seem to know much about the boats. I'm really just trying to find the right path on how to build this without an instruction manual or previous knowledge. Here is what i have:

It's doable but you have a lot of work ahead of you. To get the motor in you will need to make motor mounts and wooden rails 2" x ? long and 5" between to mount the motor. with 3/8" birch plywood (Midwest products) craft board. Glass the wood rail in with Z-poxy finish resign and fiberglass cloth tape 2" wide. The motor should be mounted with aluminum brackets and rubber mounts and be 70/30 balance. You want the flex drive to go under the boat 1" from the bottom (submerged drive) You will need a radio box to install electronics. Wood to mount the tank. I suggest you lay out everything to get a idea where everything should sit it the boat and mock up with foam board before cutting the wood.

Really? Within 100 miles of Taylor? I know of several sites in that area where you can run or race at as I come over to the east side of the state to race.

OK, back to him. The AM radio system will not work with a gad powered boat, too much ignition interference even with a resistor plug. The servos are inadequate except for using one for the throttle.
This thing is a mess, I hope that you got it really cheap as it needs experienced work done on it. There is so much wrong here I don't know where to start, just being honest here. The Homelite engine if you got it going might get you to 25-30 MPH. That streamlined prop nut is great if you like replacing props, they don't like staying on.

Hey very cool parts , love the Dumas products . I can help you, step by step. Built and fabricated many and here is a pic of what Ai had built and am selling .

View attachment 124431View attachment 124432View attachment 124433View attachment 124434View attachment 124435
This will need rails and a couple of drive shafts with brass housing and grease fitting and ball bearings inside. Lots of work to do

Attachments

• 5861DD0F-30EE-45F4-8630-B252D5221A87.jpeg
    5861DD0F-30EE-45F4-8630-B252D5221A87.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 6A2A0DE9-A02E-412A-A1F6-91D886B5020F.jpeg
    6A2A0DE9-A02E-412A-A1F6-91D886B5020F.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 6820F0C0-E697-413A-ADE7-98E307BE5889.jpeg
    6820F0C0-E697-413A-ADE7-98E307BE5889.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited: