Kyosho RB7ss Super Extra Fantastic Fun Time Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnJames

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello RCT Nation!

I am in the process of aquiring pieces and parts for my and could use some help. So far, I have the kit, a few different pinion gears (28t, 30t and 32t), a fancy exotech motor mount and battery mount.

20201015_200638.jpg

As for motor/esc, it seems hobbywing has a decent reputation. Looks like Reedy makes a good motor. What do you suggest for a motor and esc? I have a budget of about 200$ for the combo. I can go a little over if it is going to be a good jump.

Servo - What steering servo is reccomended? 60$ budget?

Batteries - I like the Spectrum smart batteries. Do I need the fancy bullet connector ones? What C rating? Does that depend on the servo?

Tires - will probably mainly be used for bashing. I might be doing some racing, the car will primarily be used by my 7yr old. Suggestions? Another member uses traxxas slash tires for bashing. I do like that idea.

Transmitter/ receiver - 100$ budget?

If I am missing anything, let me know. I usually do lol.

Thanks!

For the servo, do I need to run a shorty or can I use a standard size? I apologize for all of the questions, total newb at all of this.

- The Hobbying is nice, but you might be happier with a Tekin RS G3 Spec. It has better brakes as well as reverse. You can get it with the 13.5T motor as a combo. It will also allow you to get the Hotwire that will allow you to program via Bluetooth.

- Battery? It must be a shorty pack with anything over 4000 Mah with a 60c or higher. 80c would be best with the 13.5t motor. The Spektrum is a nice battery, but not necessary for bashing. The bullet plugs are the best to use.

- A 24 or 25 tooth pinion might be better if you're bashing. It will allow your motor to run cooler and give you more torque.

- I am the one who uses the Slash tires and rims. They were great and they are pretty inexpensive. You can get a set of 4 for about $30. Here is the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-12mm...4859b312ca89c5540f2b|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

- For a radio system, I really like the Sanwa MX6.

- Servo - Savox SC-1251MG Low Profile

- I would recommend you get stiffer springs in the front and rear. You can get the springs that fit the Associated B6.1 shocks. Those are cheaper than the Kyosho branded ones. Your kit comes with medium stiffness springs. I would recommend "Stiff" rated springs for the front and medium stiff for the the rear. 50wt oil rear and 20wt front. Therefore your buggy won't nose dive off jumps.

All of the parts for my RT7 build should be in. I'm hoping to be done with it this weekend.

@AClegg dude, you have been a huge help on this. I feel like I am throwing poop at the wall and hoping it sticks. I looked at the instructions and noticed the servo goes in early during the build. I realized how unprepared I was when I saw that. I see myself hitting you up for advice on the build if you don't mind.

@AClegg dude, you have been a huge help on this. I feel like I am throwing poop at the wall and hoping it sticks. I looked at the instructions and noticed the servo goes in early during the build. I realized how unprepared I was when I saw that. I see myself hitting you up for advice on the build if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all. I have built two of them in the past 6 months. If you were to add any upgrades, I would add the slipper. That will help save your gears while you're punching the throttle or changing from reverse to forward too fast.

You will need all the parts that are listed in step. Basically everything from the little washer to the brass collar. UM603B to UM524. There are a total of 9 parts. You can keep the pinion gears you already purchased and just by the larger spur gear. It is an 80 tooth. I bought that one for the RB7 I'm converting to an RT7.

You will need all the parts that are listed in step. Basically everything from the little washer to the brass collar. UM603B to UM524. There are a total of 9 parts. You can keep the pinion gears you already purchased and just by the larger spur gear. It is an 80 tooth. I bought that one for the RB7 I'm converting to an RT7.
You the man!

If I had a nickel for every time I was told that.... I could buy a stick of gum.

Last edited:
That slipper isn't cheap to piece buy lol. I had over 60$ in my cart and that wasn't everything. That's getting into buying an RB7 kit territory for extra parts and pieces ?

yup. That's why I recommended the RB7 over the RB7ss. However, you're still in luck. You can program your ESC to have a softer start of just be careful on the trigger when accelerating.

Nope. The family wanted to go dirt bike riding, so that's what I did.

How's your project going?

Sounds fun! I finally opened the box today lol. Should be a good challenge. They are calling out generic grease in the additional materials needed portion. I have lithium, red n tacky, marine and some other type I can't find rind right now. We moved this past weekend out of state and my life is in boxes. Would any of those work for the assembly? Except the mystery lube of course haha

Sounds fun! I finally opened the box today lol. Should be a good challenge. They are calling out generic grease in the additional materials needed portion. I have lithium, red n tacky, marine and some other type I can't find rind right now. We moved this past weekend out of state and my life is in boxes. Would any of those work for the assembly? Except the mystery lube of course haha

You don't need extra grease. The kit comes with grease, clear and black. The black one has graphite in it. On each build, where grease is needed, it will tell you which one to use. I would recommend getting some locktite. Purple or blue will work. I prefer the purple because of how small the screws are. It doesn't hold as tight as the blue.

You don't need extra grease. The kit comes with grease, clear and black. The black one has graphite in it. On each build, where grease is needed, it will tell you which one to use. I would recommend getting some locktite. Purple or blue will work. I prefer the purple because of how small the screws are. It doesn't hold as tight as the blue.

Damn it if it didn't come up on the first step. Any idea which one I should use here?
20201030_183754.jpg

Back