Best 4x4 electric truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaverdam213

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a couple of RC trucks. One is from Traxxas and the other Arrma. Both are entry level trucks. I am wanting to upgrade to a better truck. I am not necessarily concerned about the cost. I was hoping for opinions about which brand/model you guys would recommend. I primarily drive them in gravel and off road.

I have a couple of RC trucks. One is from Traxxas and the other Arrma. Both are entry level trucks. I am wanting to upgrade to a better truck. I am not necessarily concerned about the cost. I was hoping for opinions about which brand/model you guys would recommend. I primarily drive them in gravel and off road.
Also, I prefer the 1:10 scale for size

Welcome in. What traxxas and arrma do you have? They both very upgradeable..

I have this one from Arrma. I would prefer to upgrade this truck over the Traxxas...my son loves the Traxxas.

I don’t know a lot about upgrades or terminology. What specifically would you recommend buying if I wanted to make it faster and more durable? What about battery recommendations as well?

Attachments

• 26BEBC1E-23A2-4AF0-B68A-407A78169B35.jpeg
    26BEBC1E-23A2-4AF0-B68A-407A78169B35.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 145
My advice would be to go check out the arrma forum because there is a ton of information there on the Granite upgrades.
One thing you will run into is people for sure will recommend just buying a new rig but a brushless version.
I bought my Typhon mega simply because I love to mod and when I bought it I upgraded just about everything. Brushless system, Lipo batteries, shocks, metal diffs and so on. As I mentioned there is a ton of info over there you should check out...

Buying a new truck seems like a better option after you add up the cost of upgrades. What’s your opinion of the best 1/10 electric 4x4 truck in the $300-1000 range?

The tekno MT410 isn't quite 1/8th size, but it runs diffs/axles that are 1/8th size and built well. It's a bit smaller than an outcast 6s, but also lighter and likely tougher out of the box, not needing as many upgrades as an outcast 6s or kraton 6s to make it handle heavy bashing. It's fully capable of running 6S, but many run 4S in it with 1/8th motor/esc and really like it.

I have the outcast 6s v2 (2018 model before the stock tower to tower brace). It took quite a bit to make it last through one of my bash sessions. I run at a grass bmx track and a few skate parks. My remaining "issue" is the diffs, but I think I have that sorted out now for the most part.

Buying a new truck seems like a better option after you add up the cost of upgrades. What’s your opinion of the best 1/10 electric 4x4 truck in the $300-1000 range?

Get a kraton, you outgrew the Granite is all. If you are feeling ambitious there are a few things you could build that are similar to the granite. Proline and Tekno MT410 is a Clydesdale but it's really a 1/8 truck.

Get a kraton, you outgrew the Granite is all. If you are feeling ambitious there are a few things you could build that are similar to the granite. Proline and Tekno MT410 is a Clydesdale but it's really a 1/8 truck.
which Kraton?

have you considered any other brands like Losi, Team associated , etc? because it all depends on what you want and what you like plus what your going for. Traxxas and arrma are very durable brands of rc but losi and team associated are really good durable and upgradable racers compared to traxxas and arrma bashers. there's honestly a lot of options but with those 4 brands choosing any rc would be preference because they're all good

My advice would be to go check out the arrma forum because there is a ton of information there on the Granite upgrades.
One thing you will run into is people for sure will recommend just buying a new rig but a brushless version.
I bought my Typhon mega simply because I love to mod and when I bought it I upgraded just about everything. Brushless system, Lipo batteries, shocks, metal diffs and so on. As I mentioned there is a ton of info over there you should check out...

The Granite Is a Good Truck Assuming you have the newer version pictured your half way there to upgrading as it came with the BLX (Brushless) differentials And metal Input shafts, The Only Neg is the Spur gear and Slipperclutch assembly is the Smaller pitch (space between tooth on gears.
meaning your Kind of Limited to Motor choice, Ideally you’ll need a Strong Motor with Torque such as 3660 Hobbywing Max ten 3200kv Combo but they come with a 5mm Motor Shaft and your Stuck with a 3.2 Mm shaft.
You can try out a 3656 combo slightly smaller motor can Sligjtly less torque? But you’ll be Needing a 3.2mm Motor shaft, that’s the easiest way to go.
The Brushless also has a Steonger Steering servo
But I’d leave that for Now. You can Change things like the Plastic steering links for metal ones but again That can come later.
So either you stump up For the 3s BLX slipper assembly or keep to what you have and buy a Motor suitable to fit. Is the cheaper way to go. Xx
Got Two Granites My Self ?

I'm thinkin this was meant for somebody else...?

Am a noob, but I can tell you this. If you like tinkering around and figuring stuff out and working with your hands, then definitely get a kit and build it yourself. If you don't like fixing your rig and just want to play then get an RTR (ready to run). that's your first decision. If you want to build my second rig is a tekno MT410. I do a LOT of research before I buy and I can tell you that am more than pleased with both the granite and mt410 but they are totally different trucks. yes of course I like the mt410 better. WELL WORTH the price and you don't have to worry about how to fix it, since you built it you know how it goes together. my two cents from a noob with 10 months experience and 2 rigs. now am looking for a track in Culver City area, tired of going to parks.

The Granite Is a Good Truck Assuming you have the newer version pictured your half way there to upgrading as it came with the BLX (Brushless) differentials And metal Input shafts, The Only Neg is the Spur gear and Slipperclutch assembly is the Smaller pitch (space between tooth on gears.
meaning your Kind of Limited to Motor choice, Ideally you’ll need a Strong Motor with Torque such as 3660 Hobbywing Max ten 3200kv Combo but they come with a 5mm Motor Shaft and your Stuck with a 3.2 Mm shaft.
You can try out a 3656 combo slightly smaller motor can Sligjtly less torque? But you’ll be Needing a 3.2mm Motor shaft, that’s the easiest way to go.
The Brushless also has a Steonger Steering servo
But I’d leave that for Now. You can Change things like the Plastic steering links for metal ones but again That can come later.
So either you stump up For the 3s BLX slipper assembly or keep to what you have and buy a Motor suitable to fit. Is the cheaper way to go. Xx
Got Two Granites My Self ?

my granite blx 3s I upgraded almost right away with 4 new metal shocks (original ones leaks), GPM racing front and rear damper mounts and also the rear and front body mounts replaced with metal ones also from GPM as they wore out from going upside down and sliding down the street lol. recently destroyed the bottom rear and am waiting for Tbone ;s XV6 Front Bumper which should be here today. everything else is stock and what I do is jump from a ramp I made. Sad when I see those cool videos on youtube of so many tracks, I drool.

Gotta say this one right here.
371-3.png

1/10 scale doesn't offer as many electric 4x4 trucks as 1/8 scale. However, Losi, AE, Tekno, etc... has some good ones to look at.

If it has to only be 10th scale...then I would pick the Traxxas Maxx 4s. One tough mother.

I know the redcat kaiju is a fast and tough rc car. though it is not as tough as the Maxx in my opinion.

Back