Need help with my hyper 7 nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh080

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a hyoer 7 nitro it runs and rides but it does sound right to me there's plenty of smoke and noise just doesn't sound right tried to upload a video but it won't let me.

Can you explain it a bit more for us? If it runs and rides, it may be just needs tuned. Plenty of smoke may also be to much smoke in which case it is running to rich.

Can you explain it a bit more for us? If it runs and rides, it may be just needs tuned. Plenty of smoke may also be to much smoke in which case it is running to rich.

Just been on it and I think it just needs tuning there still loads of smoke tho

Attachments

• 20200726_141545.jpg
    20200726_141545.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 73
You want to turn the high speed needle in about a hour at a time, "think of the numbers on a clock". Turn it in to where there is a little bit of smoke visible, that will get you close. You want to see a little bit, that tells you the engine is getting the lubrication it needs. I would say it is rich by the looks of the smoke in the pic.

If it is too rich it will act sluggish when you get on it "top end will be sluggish". If the acceleration is sluggish then the low speed needs adjusted. It may seem a lot to deal with but after awhile you will get used to it. You will have to tune it often because it does react different to temps, humidity and things like that..

It will also spit a bunch of fuel out the pipe if its too rich.
You should also replace the glow plug because running rich will foul it..

Last edited:
it was splitting some fuel but not much

it was splitting some fuel but not much

It sounds like it needs to be leaned a little ,when you warm it up an run it ,turn the Hsn about an 1/8 of a turn at a time ,then
do a pass ,you should hear the difference in the sound of the engine ,it will have a higher peakier sound before & a snappier
throttle response ,when it starts sounding like that ,then you are getting it close ,but make sure that there is still a little smoke
still ,an monitor the heat!

It sounds like it needs to be leaned a little ,when you warm it up an run it ,turn the Hsn about an 1/8 of a turn at a time ,then
do a pass ,you should hear the difference in the sound of the engine ,it will have a higher peakier sound before & a snappier
throttle response ,when it starts sounding like that ,then you are getting it close ,but make sure that there is still a little smoke
still ,an monitor the heat!
Turn it anti clockwise?

Been a while since I drive nitro, if it sounds croaky and spluttery. It’s too rich, I would start over with the Manufacture settings on the top needle (main). 2.5/3 turns whatever they may be. The slow needle on the side of the Carb flush with the Engine, and is open the idle a little just to get it going .
If it drives but bugs at high speed it’s too Lean richen the main needle. If it is not reaching its top rpm And plenty of smoke any croaking lean off the main needle. Only make make little 1/4 turns at a time. If you Can’t pull away without splutter lean the Low needle slightly, if it bogs down before it can pull away and idling erratically is day the Low needle is too lean.
It’ll take a bit of perseverance but don’t give up. As I say use the Recommended settings as a Starting point and make minor adjustments .

Been a while since I drive nitro, if it sounds croaky and spluttery. It’s too rich, I would start over with the Manufacture settings on the top needle (main). 2.5/3 turns whatever they may be. The slow needle on the side of the Carb flush with the Engine, and is open the idle a little just to get it going .
If it drives but bugs at high speed it’s too Lean richen the main needle. If it is not reaching its top rpm And plenty of smoke any croaking lean off the main needle. Only make make little 1/4 turns at a time. If you Can’t pull away without splutter lean the Low needle slightly, if it bogs down before it can pull away and idling erratically is day the Low needle is too lean.
It’ll take a bit of perseverance but don’t give up. As I say use the Recommended settings as a Starting point and make minor adjustments .

It probably is still at factory set ,if it is ,then that is his main problem!

There simply is no performance in factory sets ,in which most newbies to nitro doesn't know about an dont tune off of it ,then
they get bored of its performance an eventually the whole buggy gets saturated in nasty gunky fuel soak ,then they lose
interest in it an then the buggy is usually either tossed ,sold or simply shoved in a dark cave!....:rolleyes:

However ,I like buying buggies used that was treated that way ,they are still in new condition after they are cleaned up
an tuned!....:p........;)

I can't believe everyone says to tune it this way and that and nobody is asking the obvious question, where's your temp gauge and what temp is the motor running? Smoke is more dependent on how much oil is in your fuel mixture. I have had fuels that after a tank on still day would leave a haze over the whole yard even on a good tune.
If you're experienced you can tune by ear but nothing helps straighten out a motor quicker than checking temps.

Last edited:
Factory setting is Fine it’s a good starting point, So leave the Low speed needle alone for now assuming it is Flush with engine,
It won’t hurt to open the Idle a tad for now,
If it’s spluttery no problem. It’s better than too lean :) SO Lean off the main needle gently 1/4 Turn clockwise at a time, keep going until you get the engine revving Nicely without spluttering. Keep an Eye your Smoke NO Smoke is BAD!! Also if Bogs down before reaching top speed it’s too Lean.
It’ll probably be idling too Fast Now so unscrew the Idle enough to keep the engine going without engaging the clutch,
If you’ve cracked that you can try to give the Low speed needle a tiny little nick clockwise to give it some ooomph in acceleration
Watch the engine temps about 120/130 Celsius is ok you can run that with a splash and dash tanks without cooking it . ;) hope that helps

I can't believe everyone says to tune it this way and that and nobody is asking the obvious question, where's your temp gauge and what temp is the motor running? Smoke is more dependent on how much is in your fuel mixture. I have had fuels that after a tank on still day would leave a haze over the whole yard even on a good tune.
If you're experienced you can tune by ear but nothing helps straighten out a motor quicker than checking temps.

I’ve had many of Nitros with Engines that cost a more than some RTR buggys .
Nova Rossi , Os Vspec B , RB to name a few.
Yes some fuels do smoke more than others I didn’t like Byron fuel very Much I actually preferred Champion 20. BigBang25 was ok/ .
Nitro fuel cost around £30. A Gallon I can buy a cheap Chinese Lipo for about £20.
Although Nitro more fun .
I was merely trying to Help the poor chap it’s easy to say check your temp if it’s in the Ball Park it’s Tuned. But the poor chap don’t know his arse from his Elbow. Without being there I can’t help other than offer to use the Manufacturr settings as a rough guide to start from . ;)
Yes I would know by sound how my Engines are running . But that don’t help this poor chap much tell him to tune it by ear :)
I had to sell my nitro due being out of work over a year to I’ll health.
But I’ve got the Bug back in Brushless :) .
I still kept my FG Marder though I dug that out today it needs a new head .

I’ve had many of Nitros with Engines that cost a more than some RTR buggys .
Nova Rossi , Os Vspec B , RB to name a few.
Yes some fuels do smoke more than others I didn’t like Byron fuel very Much I actually preferred Champion 20. BigBang25 was ok/ .
Nitro fuel cost around £30. A Gallon I can buy a cheap Chinese Lipo for about £20.
Although Nitro more fun .
I was merely trying to Help the poor chap it’s easy to say check your temp if it’s in the Ball Park it’s Tuned. But the poor chap don’t know his arse from his Elbow. Without being there I can’t help other than offer to use the Manufacturr settings as a rough guide to start from . ;)
Yes I would know by sound how my Engines are running . But that don’t help this poor chap much tell him to tune it by ear :)
I had to sell my nitro due being out of work over a year to I’ll health.
But I’ve got the Bug back in Brushless :) .
I still kept my FG Marder though I dug that out today it needs a new head .

LOL...I never owned a temp gauge ,in the 25 years of nitros ,I've always checked by feel an ran my stuff a little rich an never
burned an engine up ,I've also tuned by ear!....:thumbs-up:

LOL...I never owned a temp gauge ,in the 25 years of nitros ,I've always checked by feel an ran my stuff a little rich an never

Ok . ?

@Arrmajunk AND @cbaker65 - That is why I mentioned a temp gun because many people cannot tune by ear. A temp gun is the best/easiest check for average Joe on where you're at on the tune.