RC10T3, need that hot nasty speed. (8 cell NiMH)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo Rodriguez

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey dudes-

I have an old school T3 I brought back from the dead.
I built a pretty legit track at my house. I'll post a video later...

I am currently doing 7cell NiMH 12t motor.
I drive this thing everyday so I got used to it pretty quick.

I want more speed. Like all Americans I firmly believe that too fast is not fast enough.
Imagine your strapped into a Saturn VI rocket resting on the launch pad and lift off starts at the same instant you crack open a luke warm Mountain-Dew Code Red while NASA controllers blast Blur over the intercom voiding all safety precautions.

^^ that's the level of speed I want.

Now I am having trouble finding a speed controller rated for 8 cell NiMH (or at least one that says that explicitly).
Ideally I want to be able to do 8 Cells and still use the 12T motor. That way I can switch back to 6 or 7 cells and still haul a$$

Is there a decent esc that can handle that for $50 or under?

I do not want to do LiPo's or brushless.

tekin 420 esc brushed will handle the cells your throwing at it..either on 6 or 8 . forgot turn limit...

thats over 200 doll-hairs.
Does it come with a $100 bill?

I can make one for less money.

It says it's a crawler esc but a Hobbywing Quicrun WP 1080 should be able to handle that motor and battery, plus be under $50.

ooooo looks good!

One thing I've been noticing is that the cont. current limits don't seem to match up...

For instance, my esc is rated for 35A, 8,4v.
assuming my motor resistance 50mOhm (NO-LOAD), at 8.4v I should be sinking 168A. Way over the 35A limit.

I understand that when the motor is doing something the resistance will be way more plus the internal resistance of the battery and the FET's RdsON, and more.

Is there a short hand for figuring out the continuous current using the no-load SC condition?

I guess I could just assume the motor is %80 percent efficient and just have the %20 loss be attributed to the 50mOhm,
R=sqrt(.8/.2)*Rsc=100mOhm

Rt=100+50=150mOhm,
Icont.=56A

56A w/ %80 efficiency
49.7A w/ %85 efficiency
35A w/ %93.5 efficiency

Last edited:
If you are sticking with the NiMH Batteries and brushed motor, I would go with an old school racing ESC. Like TNT mentioned, the Tekin 420 is a good one. Another really good one is the Tekin 411G, and 411P. The number states how many cells they will handle. For example, 411 means it will handle 4 to 11 cells. 420 means it handles 4 to 20, which was used by dragsters and people looking to dump serious power. All these units will handle just about every 540 brushed motor out there. Keep in mind, due to them being designed for racing, they do not have reverse. Just forward and brake. You can find used ones for around $40. The Hobbywing Quicrun WP 1080 will not handle the 8 cells. It only goes to 7.4v.

You can find them on Ebay. They are used.

So, daughter has a Losi XXXT. She wants to start driving it, so I decided to upgrade the ESC. To go the cheap route, I decided to keep running the brushed motor in it, but got to LiPo batteries. That's why I'm updating the ESC. On Ebay, I found Hobbywing brushed ESC's for under $20, brand new. I just ordered one. Hobbywing is known for making some pretty good ESCs, so I thought I had nothing to lose but $20. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Give a couple weeks to get it in and abuse it a little.

ran xxxt for many years in racing . ran brushed .it was ok now when brushless hit. the xxxt was reborn .I liked the dt diff , a few rpm add ons..F a arms cow pusher..lol

ran xxxt for many years in racing . ran brushed .it was ok now when brushless hit. the xxxt was reborn .I liked the dt diff , a few rpm add ons..F a arms cow pusher..lol

She wants to start racing it. I don't know how far she will go with it, but if she decides to get more involved, I'll get her a new version.

So, daughter has a Losi XXXT. She wants to start driving it, so I decided to upgrade the ESC. To go the cheap route, I decided to keep running the brushed motor in it, but got to LiPo batteries. That's why I'm updating the ESC. On Ebay, I found Hobbywing brushed ESC's for under $20, brand new. I just ordered one. Hobbywing is known for making some pretty good ESCs, so I thought I had nothing to lose but $20. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Give a couple weeks to get it in and abuse it a little.
Keep an eye on that Ball bearing slipper gear. My two grandsons love my Losi XXT, but I keep getting it back with the bearing melted out into outer rim of gear. Can’t find anymore of them so I’m just fInishing up locking up the rear with some rubber. I’m hoping it works because it is a screamer with a brushless setup and 11.7 volts. No wonder the kids love it, and always fixing it.

Keep an eye on that Ball bearing slipper gear. My two grandsons love my Losi XXT, but I keep getting it back with the bearing melted out into outer rim of gear. Can’t find anymore of them so I’m just fInishing up locking up the rear with some rubber. I’m hoping it works because it is a screamer with a brushless setup and 11.7 volts. No wonder the kids love it, and always fixing it.

That's a lot of power going to that gearbox. I can imaging how fast that diff is spinning when they turn corners. Have you tried cranking down on the diff to lock it up?

Ditch the brush motor setup. You will be burning motor brushes like crazy. For around $100 you can go brushless with a 5200 kv motor which will be way faster than a 12t brush motor on 7 cells and you can still run NIMH 6-7 or 8 cell batteries. I switch to brushless in my RC10T and it is way faster now. I ran a 12t brush motor and now I run a 5200 kv motor it dose wheelies now. No more motor break in or changing brushes. Pure speed.