Need help with shredded cluch bell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor_TK.Extra

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone knows why my cluch bell and transmission cogs have shredded after an hour of use? If so please could you tell me how to not let this happen again. I have attached a picture of the issue
Thanks very much!
Connor.

Attachments

• 7931537A-C83E-459D-9D84-5BFEAE00061B.jpeg
    7931537A-C83E-459D-9D84-5BFEAE00061B.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 131
  • D30F8EA1-AA43-4BC5-B7D8-7C12640AA5EA.jpeg
    D30F8EA1-AA43-4BC5-B7D8-7C12640AA5EA.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 83
This is simply a gear mesh issue and usually requires a mesh set up right out of the box. There are tons of video's on this and here is one. Gear mesh, loctite screws, and tuning the engine is pretty much required.

What vehicle is it? Is the spur steel?

I tend to seek out hardened bells as they tend to last longer with plastic and are kind of required if you have steel spurs. I found that out the hard way...
2004-0921-TMaxx-ChewedCB02.jpg

That was a hardened spur against a standard bell... one tank.

What vehicle is it? Is the spur steel?

I tend to seek out hardened bells as they tend to last longer with plastic and are kind of required if you have steel spurs. I found that out the hard way...
2004-0921-TMaxx-ChewedCB02.jpg

That was a hardened spur against a standard bell... one tank.

hi thanks for your reply. The car is a hsp bug crush and yes it looks like that but do you know what parts I need and how to stop it happening again.
thanks
Connor

hi thanks for your reply. The car is a hsp bug crush and yes it looks like that but do you know what parts I need and how to stop it happening again.
thanks
Connor
Which one specifically? They have a few. I'd hate to suggest parts and find out your using a different scale truck.

thanks
Connor
It looks like you have your shims too loose. From the pic I see a lot of "play" on the Male end outside the bell. It may be the picture but it should have a hairs worth of room left for heat expansion. Make sure your gear mesh is

It looks like you have your shims too loose. From the pic I see a lot of "play" on the Male end outside the bell. It may be the picture but it should have a hairs worth of room left for heat expansion. Make sure your gear mesh is squared up. Looks like this " ll " and not like this " l/ " and your biggest problem is the poor quality bell. Whenever you see that copper/bronze color like that, never get it again! That's a softer metal. Good luck.

Almost forgot about the "pitch" of those gears. Make sure they are compatible with each other.

Hi thanks for your reply there is a loose sounding noise but what do I need to tighten and how. I have orders a hardened bell it’s coming tommorow

Hi thanks for your reply there is a loose sounding noise but what do I need to tighten and how. I have orders a hardened bell it’s coming tommorow

You would need to take the engine out an inspect the clutches & clutch bell bearings ,sense the bell gear is trash ,
then I would make sure that you replace the bearings as well along with the bell gear ,also ,it would be a good idea
to purchase a shim kit for the clutchbell!

You would need to take the engine out an inspect the clutches & clutch bell bearings ,sense the bell gear is trash ,
then I would make sure that you replace the bearings as well along with the bell gear ,also ,it would be a good idea
Agreed... decent bearings and a shim kit are essential.

I have orders a cluch bell. What do I need to check I am very new to the hobby and am not sure what you mean
Thanks
Connor

I have orders a cluch bell. What do I need to check I am very new to the hobby and am not sure what you mean
Thanks
Connor

A shim kit will eliminate any slop or tightness on the bearings that can cause friction & heat an premature bearing
failure ,it also keeps the inside of the bell from riding on the clutch shoe holder pins!

Here is a link to show you what they are ,you can us this link for purchase or you can find your own!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobao-OP-0...029737?hash=item5b70a73329:g:lcYAAOSwt9BecuZi