4x4 vs 2wd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Do you have a 2wd or a 4x4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
If you are wondering whether it's worth it to pay more for AWD, it definitely is. The 2wd trucks are RWD and much harder to control, it is much more likely to fishtail and spin out of control. While the 4x4 won't fishtail or spin out unless you want it to. I driven both, so I am speaking from some experience :)

I own a few of each and just my opinion they can handle about the same if setup properly i have tsm on my 2wd and the esc, along with shocks,and ride height tweek'd and can pull better lap times than with my 4x4 (although 4x4 is stock) My 9yr old drives 2wd all the time (have a hard time keeping up with batteries) and he can keep up with out a doubt around personal track.

I own a few of each and just my opinion they can handle about the same if setup properly i have tsm on my 2wd and the esc, along with shocks,and ride height tweek'd and can pull better lap times than with my 4x4 (although 4x4 is stock) My 9yr old drives 2wd all the time (have a hard time keeping up with batteries) and he can keep up with out a doubt around personal track.
I agree, with TSM it is definitely about as easy to drive, but a lot of them don't come with TSM.

I own several 2 and 4WD SCT's, and each have their good and bad points, but, to try and say which is better is nearly impossible, since it is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, i like the 2WD trucks more, but that may be because i grew up with 2WD. 4WD are fun, but, in my opinion do take away from the experience a bit, because they seem to make it easier to drive, and i typically prefer a challenge, which 2WD gives me.

when did Nitro get dumped into this debate?.
Dont think it did..anyway its to top heavy of a rc My electrics will EAT any nitro truck from the Green light or go...
I have a few of both 2wd Electric and 4 wd electric none have a gyro or anything be me and my setup to make my trucks more stable, Its all me..Id pick a 4 wd over a 2wd .even on the track

Nowhere does it say you can't add nitro to the mix nor does anyone state their vehicles are electric or nitro. Original OP states 4x4 or 2wd. Nothing about what powers it. I never mentioned anything about nitro being faster than electric. Anyone with intelligence to tie their own shoes knows that electric is faster than nitro. Because of this, I only have one nitro. I had a few more, but never drove them. Too much of a hassle. I have the nitro 4x4 for a couple reasons. #1, I got it for free. #2, I love the sound of the nitro motor. #3, I got is for free. I had a couple electric 4wd buggies and tucks, but I got rid of two and the others were stolen.

As for preference, it all depends on what I'm doing. All around, I prefer the handling of the 4wd. When I'm in the sand or looking to get a little squirrely, I prefer the 2wd.

Very interesting debate. I asked about a 2wd short course truck while at the local hobby shop .
He told me to go 4wd his statement was the 4wd was much easier to control.
If I get 2wd with TMS can it be turned on and off if I want to ?

Very interesting debate. I asked about a 2wd short course truck while at the local hobby shop .
He told me to go 4wd his statement was the 4wd was much easier to control.
If I get 2wd with TMS can it be turned on and off if I want to ?
4WD is much easier to control, but, at least in my opinion, isnt as much fun as 2WD, but that is because i like watching the back end slide and drift, and with 4WD, drifting is harder to do. With 2WD, throttle control is a must though, or it will just spin out, whereas 4WD wont as easily. As for the TMS, if it is like Spektrum's AVC, there is a dial on the radio that you can use to add or take away how much the AVC interacts. This is starting to sound like the same discussion i had with my SO to justify why i have 1 each of the 2WD and 4WD (ok, so i have multiples of each, but thats for another discussion).

Biggman you made me laugh out loud. I’m not very good at justifying my toys. But I try!
Thanks for your input. I have a rock crawler. But I think I need something for spinning out and just screwing around with. I’m also wanting a 1/24 scale for indoor crawling.
I think I might have an addiction.

Biggman you made me laugh out loud. I’m not very good at justifying my toys. But I try!
Thanks for your input. I have a rock crawler. But I think I need something for spinning out and just screwing around with. I’m also wanting a 1/24 scale for indoor crawling.
I think I might have an addiction.
Dont think of it as an addiction, think of it as a justifiable way to spend your down time. As for needing justification for it, my argument has always been, well there are worse ways i could spend my disposable income, or, its a good way to spend my kids inheritance. The second one doesn't always work as well though.

2WD's are good for all around goofing off and screwing around, but they do take a bit more control throttle wise. Too much throttle and you can end up just doing loads of donuts, and, not enough throttle, and it makes for a boring day. A possible idea to give you an idea of whether 2 or 4WD would be better for you is look for a local R/C group, and see if someone would be willing to you try a couple different vehicles out, and see which you like more. It sounds like a long shot, but, you might surprise yourself. I thought when i moved to where i live now that noone was really into R/C anything, until i happened to find a local R/C group that does everything from vehicles, to boats to planes and drones.

Back