The best 1/10 scale nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find them ,but they run up to almost $ 200 bucks ,that engine was a perfect match for those street cars & 1/10
stadium trucks an were very popular to have in the day ,I have one on my AE.10 stadium truck .an it has extreme power!...:p
Yep, I had one as well. Was a great little engine. No clue why they stopped making it. I had the 15 CV-R(X) before that as well which was a decent little basher engine. I ran the 18 cv-r(x) in my hpi nitro mt (predecessor to the MT2).

Are you just bashing? I'm assuming your not racing or intending on racing at sanctioned events and whatnot. If so, you have to get an engine that falls within the guidelines of the track/race type or whatever.

To be honest, might be a pain, but the traxxas 2.5R and 3.3 both really are good engines for a small/light vehicle. The 3.3 is a .20 and the 2.5R is a .15. I never liked them in MT's like the revo, but they did fine in my jato. Although, they have a special/specific exhaust port, flywheel nut and are slide carb...

If you go away from the HPI engine, you will also need to get engine mounts as I believe with the HPI engine, it mounts directly to the chassis via threaded stand offs on the bottom of the crank case. Normal engines don't, they use stand offs that use the flanges on the side of the engine.

I looked for 2 hrs on E-bay ,it certainly isn't like it use to be on finding engines ,an it is getting worse these are the only
ones that I can find that may be any good ,other than the Sho engines an a size 12 ,the thing about the 12's is that
if the 12 isnt a high end race version ,you wont be happy with the power output ,however ,the Ofna force 12 pushed
my Ld3 car pretty fast ,but I am not selling the engine!

This engine here is German an is in Germany ,but it doesn't have the rotary type carb that you may need!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitromotor-s18-SZ-2-95-ccm-2-2-PS-1-68-kW-FORCE-Engine-E-18S30P-250005/141611129678?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=2&asc=60973&meid=394fbf4d802c4c13b64beb716e7820dc&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=132466287676&itm=141611129678&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Then there is this Dynamite .19

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-DYN0700-Mach-2-19T-Traxxas-Replacement-Engine-T-Maxx-Jato-Slayer-Revo/293208818716?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Then Thunder tiger 12 ,they are a good brand an easy to tune ,it can be had for just over 50 bucks!

https://shop.thundertiger.com/colle...ts-evo-12x-high-performance-model-engine-9465

What do you guy's think about these novarossi engines? Would they give enough power to entertain me? And thanks already for all the answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191230-200154_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-200154_Samsung Internet.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20191230-200210_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-200210_Samsung Internet.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200101_023144.jpg
    20200101_023144.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 128
Yep, I had one as well. Was a great little engine. No clue why they stopped making it. I had the 15 CV-R(X) before that as well which was a decent little basher engine. I ran the 18 cv-r(x) in my hpi nitro mt (predecessor to the MT2).

Are you just bashing? I'm assuming your not racing or intending on racing at sanctioned events and whatnot. If so, you have to get an engine that falls within the guidelines of the track/race type or whatever.

To be honest, might be a pain, but the traxxas 2.5R and 3.3 both really are good engines for a small/light vehicle. The 3.3 is a .20 and the 2.5R is a .15. I never liked them in MT's like the revo, but they did fine in my jato. Although, they have a special/specific exhaust port, flywheel nut and are slide carb...

If you go away from the HPI engine, you will also need to get engine mounts as I believe with the HPI engine, it mounts directly to the chassis via threaded stand offs on the bottom of the crank case. Normal engines don't, they use stand offs that use the flanges on the side of the engine.
Thanks for the advise and what do you think about the os.21 tm?

Attachments

• 20200111_103945.jpg
    20200111_103945.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the advise and what do you think about the os.21 tm?
@johnnydmd is going through the process of breaking one in recently for a drag car he is doing, I have heard nothing but good things about it, Novarossi is also a very good brand, one of the best up there O.S., I will say both engines are at different ends of the spectrum, the nova is a fast high revving, power band in the top end engine, lots of power in as small a package as you can get.
The o.s.TM is a pretty much a big block that is drop in to a small block mount. Lots of low end torque and good mid and top end. With either I dont think you could go wrong, but its about the equivelant of a twin turbo 4 cyl vs a built v8.

I've been running a 21Tm in one of my revo's for a few years. Probably only have 3-4 gallons through it, but it's a very good engine. Not sure it warrants the $300 price tag though. It's a niche engine as it's designed for a specific purpose and there aren't many options like it for the t-maxx/revo crowd, so the price likely reflects some of that as well as the quality/performance of it.

More torque than the TRX3.3 and once broken in, holds a tune all day long. Took over a gallon before it settled in well. I was very easy on it through heat cycle break in for the first 1/2 gallon, then continued to be pretty easy on it (not a lot of WOT long pulls) until about 1.5 gallons, which was around when the tune stabilized (didn't require fiddling much after initial setting for the current weather).

It has a more normal exhaust port on it, so a standard 1/10th header fits it unlike the TRX engines. The revo version has an odd arm on the slide carb to suit the revo's linkage. The t-maxx version I think has a ball end arm on it... both may come with both though, can't recall what was in the box. The other difference is the included header. The Maxx version's header differs from the revo, so they sell two different ones with the appropriate header included.

I'm using a THS revo high torque small block pipe on mine. I have the THS revo big block pipe on my second revo which has an LRP28 in it.

This was my last run with the 21TM if you want to get a sense for it:

I had geared it down a bit so it would accelerate faster for the repeated jumps at the bmx track, so top speed isn't blistering, but it's not bad.

Whats the difference in this engines?

Attachments

• 20200111_180738.jpg
    20200111_180738.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200111_180918.jpg
    20200111_180918.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200111_180955.jpg
    20200111_180955.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 155
First one is a .12, other two are .18's.
Difference between the 2nd and 3rd is pilot crank shaft and standard threaded crankshaft.
Thanks. And witch one should i take for the rs4?

I'm doubting between the .21tm and the .18cvr. Any toughts?

I'm doubting between the .21tm and the .18cvr. Any toughts?

Here is some insight between the both.

The 12 is mostly common for track racing ,an it gives a better performance in its power band in tight curves & cornering
on the race track ,making the car more controlable!

The cvr 18 was mainly used for those street demons that liked more power an speed ,they are mainly used on just
bashing around up down the street!

Both engines are good for just running an having fun with ,an the engines that I posted are only an economy engine
for street bashing an having fun with for a budget!....:cool:

Here is some insight between the both.

The 12 is mostly common for track racing ,an it gives a better performance in its power band in tight curves & cornering
on the race track ,making the car more controlable!

The cvr 18 was mainly used for those street demons that liked more power an speed ,they are mainly used on just
bashing around up down the street!

Both engines are good for just running an having fun with ,an the engines that I posted are only an economy engine
for street bashing an having fun with for a budget!....:cool:
I indeed ordered the force for the moment thanks to you. Because off the mistake to order the os 18cvm instead off the os 18 cvr. When it comes in i send it back and loose the sending cost. And with the credit store i buy the cvr. In the mean while i can run the force. Any extra parts that i need for the force install on my rs4? I'm still a newbee. ?

What size Force engine did you go with?

I have the 12 ,which came stock in the RTR Ofna Ld3 cars ,it pushed the car pretty fast ,with out making one nervous!

This is the one with the 12.

I also have the Ofna Force 18
an this is it ,it needs to be put back in another street car that I have!

What size Force engine did you go with?

I have the 12 ,which came stock in the RTR Ofna Ld3 cars ,it pushed the car pretty fast ,with out making one nervous!

This is the one with the 12.

I also have the Ofna Force 18
an this is it ,it needs to be put back in another street car that I have!

Awesome.
I bought the. 18. I used the link that you posted earlier.

Awesome.
I bought the. 18. I used the link that you posted earlier.

Oh ,ok yea ,You may need to figure the carb linkage ,I am not familure with the Hpi rs4 ,but there is 2 styles of carbs. ,
one is the rotary in which is on that Force 18 engine that you see in the last pick with the black head ,however ,that is not
the original carb. ,that is a carb off of an AE 15 engine ,as they fit the force engine ,the engine came with a slide barrel carb.

So with that being said ,I am not sure what the Rs4 will use ,you might just wait an see until you get it ,it might eccept both!

The force.18 engine has arrived. Can anyone give me a tip witch carb I need please, and wich exhaust does work the best? And I want to replace the pul start for a roto start. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20200117_124034.jpg
    20200117_124034.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200117_124040.jpg
    20200117_124040.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20200117_124052.jpg
    20200117_124052.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200117_124142.jpg
    20200117_124142.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 173
If you get a roto start, get one with a dog bone style receiver, stay way from the Sullivan-style with the hex ball ends. Those things strip out pretty easily.

The force.18 engine has arrived. Can anyone give me a tip witch carb I need please, and wich exhaust does work the best? And I want to replace the pul start for a roto start. Any advice?
as far as the carb, i believe stock on yours was rotary, you may be able to drop your carb from your HPI engine onto the force, but if the o-rings were bad, just gonna cause you problems.
try taking a picture looking straight down on your chassis, if i remember correctly you can switch around some linkages and convert the car over to slide carb.
as a performance standpoint, slide is better, as its more of a linear throttle opening, rotary starts as a really small openeing, but is a bit more "clunky" once it gets up past 1/2 - 3/4 throttle.
for exhaust, i really dont know, so far my favorite small block exhaust has been a dynamite tuned pipe set up. but its held on by springs instead of a silicone coupler, which seems to be less common on small blocks, and there might or might not be a manifold that is the correct shape for your vehicle.

If you get a roto start, get one with a dog bone style receiver, stay way from the Sullivan-style with the hex ball ends. Those things strip out pretty easily.
personally have had great luck with the hex type, i just found a 6mm ball end allen key from home depot and cut the "L" shape off it and been using that for about a year or so. i might have just gotten lucky though.

If I am not mistaken ,the Rs4 stock engine was a side header pipe ,an also ,the engine was mounted on the right side
of the car ,from looking at it from the rear ,that being said ,you will need a header pipe that corresponds with that
chassy set-up ,if you do your research there should be one out there on market!
As for the carb. ,I don't know ,some models can adapt to both styles depending on how the throttle servo throws
are with the linkage ,an keep in mind of the brake as well ,pics of the car would help us all to help you determine
how the car can be set up!

The Ofna Ld3 ,the engine sits backwards ,but if yours is turned around it would look different!
This might be sort of what a header & pipe that you may need would look like ,but maybe in a different
configuration!

Thanks for the reply's. Tomorrow I will set her up again because now she's in "storage" in pieces, ordered some ally hop hups and still waiting on the engine mount. Then I will take some pictures and place them here so you guys get a better picture.

Attachments

• 20191230_100426.jpg
    20191230_100426.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 162
Back