What’s in your RC Tool Box?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you guys keep on hand for general maintenance and repairs for your nitro RC.
Also, what are some must-haves to keep in your tool kit?

Glow plugs, spare receivers, allen wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, super glue, electrical tape, double stick molding tape, on/off switches, lots of wire ties, glow plug wrenched, spare batteries, jewelers set of screw drivers, small files, and right now the whole box of stuff hasn't been outside in a year.

With allen wrenches, don't go cheap. MIP are probably the best out there. I use the MIP speed bits in a 1/4" electric driver and I keep a set of losi hand wrenches in my pit bag for when I'm out bashing. I've had the losi wrenches for 15 years. Totally worth the money. the MIP's have held up for 4-5 years so far. I recently ground a small hair bit off the end of my 2mm wrench as the very tip was a bit rounded.

Otherwise, a small pair of channel locks come in handy, needle nose, side cutters, small tuning screwdriver, small vice grips are things in my pit bag.

I have a small parts organizer I keep in my truck bag as well that has wheel nuts, wheel hexes, exhaust gaskets/couplers and header springs, various ball ends, spare nuts/bolts/washers in various sizes.

Half of my home office looks like a hobby shop... never went so far as to put parts on a peg board like I've seen a few others do, but I have multi-drawer cabinets full of parts, old engines, pipes, chassis's, wiring etc. I also have 4 other small parts boxes, one for all my bearings, one for all my engine/cb parts (shims, bells, clutch shoes, flywheels), one for all my odds/ends, various ball ends, bolts, screws, etc and one for electrical stuff, wires, ends, shrink wrap, switches, plugs... 20 years of RC and I accumulated a lot of stuff. I need to go through my drawers and make some room for arrma parts... Now that I have an arrma truck, I need somewhere to keep them separate. I have a drawer for traxxas and another for HPI, need an arrma drawer.

True you will strip many many screws without good quality Allen wrenches

don't forget a Bic lighter just in case you get into a situation were you have to have one:cool:

Last edited:
I have to say, I bought a Traxxas tool kit and so far, it has really fit everything I have needed.

I have zip ties

And super glue

I have to look?

I got tools to fix tools. I'm like the RC version of Dominic Toretto. If you can't fix your RC in my hobby room, you dont belong under the hood of an RC. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I got tools to fix tools. I'm like the RC version of Dominic Toretto. If you can't fix your RC in my hobby room, you dont belong under the hood of an RC. 🤣 🤣 🤣
I make my own tools MSHA probably would have me fired but hey get poop done I have to.

I think pretty much everything has been mentioned here. But an uncommon item I have are metric form taps of various sizes. Form taps are great for RC when you have a threaded hold that has been buggered up. Form taps don't cut material away. They push material or "form" it into a thread. The create a much stronger thread.