Looking for RC recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Pompey

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I'm another newbie looking for help lol. I've had a hellion conquest for a year after my two five year olds had rc cars for a present and I felt left out, I recently got them two wltoys 12428 buggies and they love them. The question is what do I get for myself ?
I want something easy to maintain and upgrading is fun, I want a car that does trail runs all year round in the woods so must be four wheel drive, a reasonable crawler and waterproof, I have 2s lopo's. YouTube is so contagious and I'm thinking of an axial yeti or losi rock rey, 1/10 is big enough and I have about £400 to treat myself. Any recomendations will be great please. Alan

A suggestion on any of the Axial crawlers is to get the kit and building it yourself so you know how it goes together and be able to disassemble and repair it. I personally like the SCX-10 II with the Cherokee body.

A suggestion on any of the Axial crawlers is to get the kit and building it yourself so you know how it goes together and be able to disassemble and repair it. I personally like the SCX-10 II with the Cherokee body.

Hi
I really want a good all rounder straight from the box to have fun with either in the woods or at the park its going to get wet muddy and do small jumps etc. the yeti has lots of upgrades for the future and looks easy to work on the losi looks like it has a million screws to get to anything but has reasonable reviews and the assisted steering
I'd like to know if I spend the cost difference on upgrades to the yeti would it be a better car than the losi is as standard

Hi
I'm another newbie looking for help lol. I've had a hellion conquest for a year after my two five year olds had rc cars for a present and I felt left out, I recently got them two wltoys 12428 buggies and they love them. The question is what do I get for myself ?
I want something easy to maintain and upgrading is fun, I want a car that does trail runs all year round in the woods so must be four wheel drive, a reasonable crawler and waterproof, I have 2s lopo's. YouTube is so contagious and I'm thinking of an axial yeti or losi rock rey, 1/10 is big enough and I have about £400 to treat myself. Any recomendations will be great please. Alan

If you want an RC car with speed. Traxxas RC cars are the best hobbie grade RC cars

Hi
I really want a good all rounder straight from the box to have fun with either in the woods or at the park its going to get wet muddy and do small jumps etc. the yeti has lots of upgrades for the future and looks easy to work on the losi looks like it has a million screws to get to anything but has reasonable reviews and the assisted steering
I'd like to know if I spend the cost difference on upgrades to the yeti would it be a better car than the losi is as standard
I have the Losi version of it and it is okay. It's pretty good out in the open, but has some problems in the rocks.
20140730_173717.jpg

i have been fighting the urge to get a rock rey or axial wraith, love the suspension setup on them, and hear good things about them both.
i have had both axial products and Losi, and so far neither have let me down.
i think the only real deciding factor for me is the Losi has a steel chassis plate. so i would go with that of the two.

i have been fighting the urge to get a rock rey or axial wraith, love the suspension setup on them, and hear good things about them both.
i have had both axial products and Losi, and so far neither have let me down.
i think the only real deciding factor for me is the Losi has a steel chassis plate. so i would go with that of the two.

I've been offered a yeti rtr from a uk store for £299 that's a lot of money to spend on upgrades compared to the losi at over £400, do you think the losi needs many upgrades, I've only seen people mention the soft tyres and all the videos I've watched are a few years old

I've been offered a yeti rtr from a uk store for £299 that's a lot of money to spend on upgrades compared to the losi at over £400, do you think the losi needs many upgrades, I've only seen people mention the soft tyres and all the videos I've watched are a few years old
Weird, the rock Rey is 400$usd at horizon and the yeti is 400$usd on ebay. I dont own either so I really dont know personally. I do not think either do come with a battery though or charger so I'd factor that into your cost as well.

It really depends on exactly what you will use it for and where you will get most use out of it.
If your boys are using buggies they won’t be going over the stuff you could with a crawler type RC.
Crawlers are great at what they do, but not so good for jumps and going fast. Buggies are fast and good for jumps but not great on rougher trail type terrain, they bottom out easily.
I am reading between the lines a bit here, but I think a good compromise would be a 1/10th monster truck, you can have fun with your boys and use it on trail type stuff through the woods etc.
There is a whole world of options out there for 1/10th MT. I just got the Proline Pro 4x4 MT, it has a few issues, but it’s fairly priced and to be fair it seems fairly tough out of the box. You will need to put the electrics in it yourself, but for about £100-150 (Plus the roller price) you can have a decent RC that will play with the buggies and do a bit more.
My roller cost £300, and I already had plenty of spare electrics to go in it. But it’s good enough on 2s LiPo fast on 3s and a beast on 4s. Some peeps have even used 1/8th electrics in them and ran them on 6s...
There were some worries that Proline might discontinue it, but they seem unfounded, Proline have just restocked on them and they are on sale for $299 US (rather annoyingly). Parts are available in the UK and there are upgrade parts available for the bits that will break if you go a bit hard on it.
I have to agree with others, Traxxas are good out of the box, and also agree that they are way overpriced, plus you will still spend cash on upgrading parts, which to be fair is the same for any RC out there. They all have plus points but they also all have weak points.

TLDR get yourself a 1/10th Monster Truck.

Weird, the rock Rey is 400$usd at horizon and the yeti is 400$usd on ebay. I dont own either so I really dont know personally. I do not think either do come with a battery though or charger so I'd factor that into your cost as well.
It’s the UK, we get shated on RC gear, it’s all imported and I guess it depends on how much of it we import as to how ’cheap’ we can get it.
As for EBay well, we get royally shafted by their Global Shipping Tax, if something is $60 US it can easily cost $120 US by the time it reaches our fingers.

One other thing I should add, whatever you go with, take it apart first and rebuild it. Use a light threadlock on anything metal to metal, check the shock oil levels and the diffs for either fluid or grease. Every RC I’ve ever had has not been built correctly from the factory, screws aren’t tight or have no thread lock, shocks are half full, diffs can be anywhere from dry to not quite enough fluid or grease. Going over the RC before you use it will do two things, make sure you know how to replace anything that might break and more importantly stop a load of stuff from breaking because it wasn’t ‘right’ out of the box.

Thanks for the continued advice guys I'm still looking and undecided. Just been to the new forest with the kids and their wltoys 12428, I just want something that's good for the forest trails and the local park, I'm not going to do massive jumping but must be able to handle wet leaves small climbs/jumps gravel, be waterproof etc. I've got 2s batteries and charger and can spend up to £400

I've been absolutely loving my redcat blackout xte pro, super fast and powerful, great offroad and fully waterproof(may need to clean out receiver with compressed air if you submerge in mud though ?) It us reasonably priced about 220$. doesn't have a ton of ground clearance like a rock crawler however. I've got lots of woods trails and it eats em up. 5200 mah 2s lipo lasted on a 1hr mountain hike, still had juice at the end! Very easy to work on!

I've been absolutely loving my redcat blackout xte pro, super fast and powerful, great offroad and fully waterproof(may need to clean out receiver with compressed air if you submerge in mud though ?) It us reasonably priced about 220$. doesn't have a ton of ground clearance like a rock crawler however. I've got lots of woods trails and it eats em up. 5200 mah 2s lipo lasted on a 1hr mountain hike, still had juice at the end! Very easy to work on!
Many thanks for sharing I'll have a look into it ?

No Please don't buy an overpriced traxxas...

The TRX4 Sport is less than $350 RTR (still need battery and charger) and very good out of the box. Not much else cost that much or less How is that overpriced? Before you say Gen 8 drive one on some rocks and the drive the TRX4. I recently built an Enduro Element. The kit was $240 plus I needed battery charger, electronics, wheels, tires and a body. It cost much more than a TRX4 and is not as capable.

If you want a more scale one get the TRX4 otherwise check into a Wraith or Capara (or whatever Axial calls them).

Back