hot glow plug "fuel" (owner of hobby shop mocks me when i ask)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ,I was asking because ,chances are ,if you didn't tune the engine after break-in when you bought it ,you will
keep going through plugs & more fuel ,if it seems to drink a lot of fuel ,an it is hard to start ,then it need to be
leaner on the tune ,an your not getting the full performance out of your ride!

A tune will prolong your plug ,an your fuel will last longer ,also ,it will be easier on the starter & engine!...

Also ,after you shut the engine off ,you want to make sure that the piston is rotated down out of the sleeve on
cool down ,this will help prolong the life of the engine as well!...:thumbs-up:
should i get the fuel out the fuel line?, thinking i should?, ... or does it not really matter... can't find anywhere if i should though

and omg my spelling in my previous was so terrible ? i got so excited hahaha

Glow plug temps affects the timing of fuel/air ignition in the engine. Higher nitro fuel ignites easier than lower nitro fuel, so they require a cooler plug usually.

You want the ignition of fuel/air to happen just before the piston reaches the top of the stroke. If it ignites too early, the piston has to fight combustion pressures as it reaches the top which is hard on the bearings and bushings of the engine. It also robs power. If it ignites too late, after the piston reaches the top and starts it's way down, your losing power as more of the combustion pressure goes out of the pipe.

I run 25% fuel and typically run a medium plug regardless of the engine. Usually, if you run 20% or less, you want to run a "hot" plug.

When I run my nitro's, I run the tank and lines dry. The methanal/nitro in the fuel evaporates over time and leaves the oil, which can clog up filters, carbs and lines.

should i get the fuel out the fuel line?, thinking i should?, ... or does it not really matter... can't find anywhere if i should though

and omg my spelling in my previous was so terrible ? i got so excited hahaha

If you plan on running it with in a day or a few days from your last run ,you really don't need to clean
it that stuff out that thorough ,only if you plan on putting it up for a week or so ,but you can rinse the
lines out with fresh fuel by pulling the tube from the muffler an carb. ,put fuel in an blow into the muffler
tube until fuel comes out ,then install the carb line back ,give it another little blow until you see the fuel
line to the carb fill up ,then it should be ready to start up quick!....:cool:

thanks for all the help :), i really appreciate it

hope i can be forgiven for all my grammar and spelling mistakes? ......why did i type THAT!?

Um...just a suggestion before starting it inside again. Carbon monoxide can kill you.
As far as the hobby shop owner goes, I would take my business elsewhere. He should absolutely CATER to all his customers since he has enough competition from on-line dealers to bury him if he cares so little about the people that come through his doors.

Um...just a suggestion before starting it inside again. Carbon monoxide can kill you.
i know, only had it running for like 5 seconds... just had to know it works (turned on many ventilators, dont worry i knew the risk i took)

i wouldnt be here.... messaging if i was dead?????? ZOMBIEEEEEE!!!!!!!
You just got lucky this time. The next one might kill ya. If you don't reply next time, we'll just assume the landlord found you after people complained about the foul odor coming from your apartment. By the way, that would be you, not the fuel or the exhaust.

You just got lucky this time. The next one might kill ya. If you don't reply next time, we'll just assume the landlord found you after people complained about the foul odor coming from your apartment. By the way, that would be you, not the fuel or the exhaust.
I'm not gonna start it inside anymore lol, was just this once?????

That stuff is really potent. Your imogies show what happened to me one time when I was trying to tune someone's Revo OUTSIDE. My eyes teared and my sinuses burned something awful. I had to walk away from it. I thought I was about to pass out.

That stuff is really potent. Your imogies show what happened to me one time when I was trying to tune someone's Revo OUTSIDE. My eyes teared and my sinuses burned something awful. I had to walk away from it. I thought I was about to pass out.
wow... you can trust on that i take it outside

glad i found this forum ... saving my life huh? haha. I'm making a little joke but i know ur serious about how dangerous that stuff is...

I started my first nitro RC inside... SO LOUD!!! Was nearly 20 years ago, Christmas time, 10F outside with snow on the ground about 9pm at night and dark out. I hadn't read up on them at all, just decided I wanted to get into the hobby and bought a xxx-nt on a whim. I cranked and cranked the thing outside, went through 3 or 4 C-cell (alkaline) batteries in a glow heater, changed the glow plug... wouldn't fire. Took it inside, checked the carb settings per the manual and put the glow heater on and slowly turned it over to see if it would pop just to see if things were working... it screamed to life, spun my tools on the floor (setting it up on our dining room table) and I grabbed the remote and ran outside. Lived in apartment... I'm sure the neighbors were like "WTF WAS THAT!!!".

Was an exiting first tank!

I know this may sound really stupid to ask but i feel better if i know what I'm doing

(you could say I'm the legendary super noob)

got a little stumped on which fuel to get

i read hot glow plugs are for 10% nitro fuels (glow plug reads N3 if thats any help) local hobby shop has only morgan fuel cool power 10% at the moment
You can run any %nitro and use the plug that gives the best response from your engine.some engines have a high compression and with a high %nitro a hot plug will detonate to early,causing pinging,so you switch to a cooler plug to remedy this

I know this may sound really stupid to ask but i feel better if i know what I'm doing

(you could say I'm the legendary super noob)

got a little stumped on which fuel to get

i read hot glow plugs are for 10% nitro fuels (glow plug reads N3 if thats any help) local hobby shop has only morgan fuel cool power 10% at the moment
Heat ranges for plugs are for timing use only. In other words, the higher the nitro content the colder the plug. Nitro is an oxidizer for fuel (it brings in more oxygen molecules which equal more power). Engines have port timing and are not adjustable by design, therefore, the heat range of the plug dictates the timing for when ignition occur. Ignite the fuel and air charge too early or late and engine damage will incur.

Back