Losi tenacity truggy overheating

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco6L

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have the tenacity truggy wich I run in the sand a lot. It cooked the 3800kv dynamite motor in it yesterday so I was trying to figure out how I can keep the 50 mph top speed but gain some torque so the motor is not over heating I have the 130 amp esc right now would it be better to go with a castle creations or hobby wing combo of because of the abuse of sand and heat something like the tekin pro4 hd and if so which one or should I go with a 160 amp esc and the 2800 kv from dynamite most of my batteries are 3s already so would like to use 3s to 4s batteries

Get a longer lower kv motor and gear it up. In most cases, a longer motor has more torque and doesn't pull so hard on the esc.

What 160/2800 motor/esc are you looking at? Got a link? I don't know a lot about dynamite.

160A sounds like it's 1/8th scale, larger footprint but more capable.

Ah, a 3660. I wonder if it's 2800kv because it's 6 pole vs 4 and if it was 4 it would be a 3200kv. Either way, if you want to use 4S then that should be an ok kv motor for that. Arrma runs a bit slower 2400kv in their recent 4S trucks. It's also longer, so likely more torque.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-blx-3668-4-pole-4s-brushless-motor-2400kv-ara390265/p973470

I run a 3100kv version of this 3665 in my stampede with the HW Max10 SCT:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...le-brushless-sensorless-motor-waterproof.html

It does ok and is likely around 50mph, but I only run 3S. If I were to run 4S, I'd likely have gotten the 2600kv. I haven't speed checked it since I ran 2S/3800kv in it.

That's what I was thinking because I run my truck at fiesta island which is a mostly sandy basher track (3 burms and 4 jumps + random double configurations) and I mostly run on 3s to keep torque up Wich is why I probably burnt up the stock 3800kv. I was thinking if I lowered the kv stayed with 3s and went from 11 to a 13-14 tooth pinion I should have the same top speed with less abuse on the electronics? And if I wanted to do a speed run etc I could run 4s? But if I just stick with 3s and the 2800kv motor do I need to upgrade the esc or only if I want to run 4s?

3S and 3660-3670/2800kv may be a bit low for 50mph, but should work well for general bashing.

Just keep an eye on temps when your pushing it with 4S.

Back